KEF LS50 Wireless II Streaming System Review & Comments

You've lost me. With the LSX I can have files on my QNAP NAS folder which the app see's than plays the tracks on the LSX?
Sorry, I meant LSX instead of LS50WII, if that's where you lost me.

So you're not getting the TV play the FLAC files from the QNAP with the resulting LPCM output going to the LSX via optical, then?

Last edited:
KEF LSX is useless if you want to stream your lossless music stored on a NAS. Seems like KEF will never be able to fix it. Looks like LS50 WII have the same problem.
Sorry to hear about your experience with the LSX.

On the LS50 Wireless II, I have no problem streaming from Qobuz, connecting to my local music server via UPnP, or using airplay.

Sorry, I meant LSX instead of LS50WII, if that's where you lost me.

So you're not getting the TV play the FLAC files from the QNAP with the resulting LPCM output going to the LSX via optical, then?

If I purely use the LSX app, it shows the music files on my NAS then plays them over wifi (white) mode. TV not even on. LS50WII similar with its app.

Purely playing from KEF app

Screenshot_20210725-115536_KEF Stream.jpg

You select Media servers

Screenshot_20210725-115555_KEF Stream.jpg

Speaker shows White (Purple if over Optical from TV).

20210725_115641.jpg

KEF Connect app for my LS50WII does it in single app

Screenshot_20210725-133547_KEF Connect.jpg

PS. These are just my gaming speakers/TV etc. so not OTT on ideal placement.

Last edited:
Yes, the very same 'if' situation with the LSX as the streamer that @TrondB mentioned as being useless and you queried that by saying that your playback of the NAS's music was fine using a TV with the LSX connected to it via optical - not the same thing, ie, the TV (or @TrondB's Bluesound Node 2i) is the streamer in that case not the LSX.

However, we appear to be going around in circles! :)

Last edited:
Yes, the very same 'if' situation with the LSX as the streamer that @TrondB mentioned as being useless and you queried that by saying that your playback of the NAS's music was fine using a TV with the LSX connected to it via optical - not the same thing, ie, the TV (or @TrondB's Bluesound Node 2i) is the streamer in that case not the LSX.

Your saying LSX speakers in stand-alone wireless (not using a TV) can't be used to play music just off a NAS, media server with the LSX app?

If so, I'm saying no problem at all.

the weakness in it for me is no mention of the truly awful KEF Apps and the as bad Tidal App, making the speakers close to unusable much/most/some of the time. Spotify is decent but not HD yet!

This is what I'm referring to.

LSX doesn't support Tidal App direct but the LSX KEF Stream plays Tidal fine (for me)
The LS50WII supports Tidal App, Tidal with KEF Connect App, and Tidal Connect direct with full MQA unfold.

Both LSX and LS50WII can play your own music off your NAS or other Media Server (as files) with the KEF apps.

I really must be completely missing what your complaining about?

Last edited:
Had the original LS50 active hooked up to a pair of BK XLS 400’s - beautiful 👍

I've owned the LS50WII for a month and a half now. Overall these are a great choice for peope looking for this kind of thing. You might be interested in my experience.

Starting out, I had some difficulty getting them to connect to my existing wifi network, even though my setup seemed to meet requirements: 802.11ac, dual-band 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz. That problem seems to arise because I have two routers (upstairs and downstairs) which generate my wifi network. Consulting the shop and Kef support, I decided to buy a separate wifi router just for the Kefs. You probably won't have this issue, but if you have a mesh network, you might keep this in mind.

There is definitely some time needed for break-in, to my ears. I got a more effortless sound after a month's time. After some initial fussing, the Kef Connect app has been a pleasure to use. I listen primary to Qobuz, but I spend daily time with my record collection (Rega P3 to phono preamp to aux in), internet radio, and listing to my digital music collection from my music server (an old mac mini) running UPnP. Also airplay is really quite nice. I've known about it for years but had never investigated. So I sometimes send the audio from my computer directly to the speakers this way.

Having had some time to dial in how the speakers are located in my room, music sounds like music. Precise attacks from the brass, golden light from massed strings, and moving crescendos. Opera is a delight with the excellent stereo imaging. The solo voices carry a vibrant human warmth, but also clarity. Also if you are listening in a small room (mine is 3.3 m x 3.9 m) these really fit in, as you'd expect. Small room, big sound, precise image.

This system has less apparent distortion compared to what I'm used to. While it's clearly a "solid state" presentation, I don't experience any glare or graininess. You know, I was prepared to enjoy them as though they were like a radio or smart speaker if that's how it turned out. But these can easily be your main system; they are rapidly becoming mine. I do have another system, but most days I just turn on the Kefs. I don't spend any time thinking about upgrades, except for possibly a subwoofer in the future.

You know, I'd love Kef to harness their DSP engine to provide a highly accurate phono correction. I think they could make this sound wonderful and then no need for a dedicated phono preamp. Probably not in the cards, but I'd like to request both MM and MC settings. :)

I listen primary to Qobuz, but I spend daily time with my record collection (Rega P3 to phono preamp to aux in), internet radio, and listing to my digital music collection from my music server (an old mac mini) running UPnP. Also airplay is really quite nice. I've known about it for years but had never investigated. So I sometimes send the audio from my computer directly to the speakers this way.
That is actually a quite an impressive number of sources. There is no doubt that you checked multiple variants what resulted in such a high quality feedback. I am curious to know what preference have you got when it comes to your sources?

Last edited:
I would like to know whether you have observed any significant differences when it comes to these sources of music?
To get to the bottom line, I'd say the effect of the Kef LS50 WII is to make all its sources sound more similar than different. And I bet many listeners will like it this way.

Streaming from Qobuz and playing files via UPnP are entirely comparable. Both reveal nuance, and have good dynamics, and some sense of space in both methods. Not much if any difference.

Listening to records, I still get the nice "continuity of phrase" that you expect. That's a key quality for me and it's not lost in the conversion from analog to digital and back. Compared to my other (analog) system, records give forth less body and not as much tonal fullness. However, listening to records through the KEFs I do wonder if that body and tone that I'm used to... are completely real. Maybe?

Between the Qobuz stream and aux-in from my turntable, I'd say records still present a connectedness, from one note to another, that you don't quite get from the digital stream. But the Qobuz source is always clear and the notes are laid down so very very precisely. Thus, there are detectable differences but these aren't too great. When you listen to both an LP and a Qobuz stream through the Kefs, then the Kef system serves to lessen their intrinsic differences.

I can play lossless music from my Qnap NAS but LSX is so unstable that the built in Wi-Fi streamer is useless. I've tried KEF Stream and BubbleUPnP (Android) and KEF Stream and mconnect (iOS). BlueSound node 2i and Linn Akurate DS are working perfect.

I can play lossless music from my Qnap NAS but LSX is so unstable that the built in Wi-Fi streamer is useless. I've tried KEF Stream and BubbleUPnP (Android) and KEF Stream and mconnect (iOS). BlueSound node 2i and Linn Akurate DS are working perfect.
@TrondB may I ask if you have a mesh network or do you otherwise have multiple routers? I did have problems running two zones (upstairs and downstairs) on the same wifi network with my Kef Wireless II system.

Hi guys. New here.

Am seriously considering getting the LS50 Wireless 2.

Need advice on this : if I were to connect them to my TV via optical instead of HDMI (due to insufficient HDMI ports), would I lose anything in terms of sound quality or types when I watch movies? My thinking is probably not since it is 2.0 (stereo) system.

Thanks in advance!

@TrondB may I ask if you have a mesh network or do you otherwise have multiple routers? I did have problems running two zones (upstairs and downstairs) on the same wifi network with my Kef Wireless II system.
To add, I just have a single router not mesh, but its a great one, Asus AX88U. Never had any issues wireless with my LSX or LS50WII but I do now have the LS50WII wired now as its in same location as my router.

Hi guys. New here.

Am seriously considering getting the LS50 Wireless 2.

Need advice on this : if I were to connect them to my TV via optical instead of HDMI (due to insufficient HDMI ports), would I lose anything in terms of sound quality or types when I watch movies? My thinking is probably not since it is 2.0 (stereo) system.

Thanks in advance!

Optical is limited to 24/96 (rather than 24/192) and you would have to use two remotes. Over HDMI ARC the TV remote operates the speakers too. Sound wise should not really be noticeable. I can't tell a 24/96 from a 24/192 track.

I can't tell a 24/96 from a 24/192 track.
You are probably right, nonetheless, I would recommend @MalLee to test both solutions (if possible) and choose the best one after making sure there's no noticeable difference. I remember a few cases when I've encountered different views depending on who was listening.

Last edited:
To get to the bottom line, I'd say the effect of the Kef LS50 WII is to make all its sources sound more similar than different. And I bet many listeners will like it this way.

Streaming from Qobuz and playing files via UPnP are entirely comparable. Both reveal nuance, and have good dynamics, and some sense of space in both methods. Not much if any difference.

Listening to records, I still get the nice "continuity of phrase" that you expect. That's a key quality for me and it's not lost in the conversion from analog to digital and back. Compared to my other (analog) system, records give forth less body and not as much tonal fullness. However, listening to records through the KEFs I do wonder if that body and tone that I'm used to... are completely real. Maybe?

Between the Qobuz stream and aux-in from my turntable, I'd say records still present a connectedness, from one note to another, that you don't quite get from the digital stream. But the Qobuz source is always clear and the notes are laid down so very very precisely. Thus, there are detectable differences but these aren't too great. When you listen to both an LP and a Qobuz stream through the Kefs, then the Kef system serves to lessen their intrinsic differences.
I added a REL T7i Sub to mine. Superb.

Always happy to help! Good luck with your order!
Thanks @iFi audio.

Have been (largely) enjoying the speakers for the past 1 week or so now. Sound really good.

But I have 2 issues with them, namely :

(1) the Wi-Fi reception of the speakers seems rather weak. I have been experiencing audio drop outs rather often (coupled with messages in KEF Connect saying the speakers are not connected) when I use Wi-Fi to stream songs from Spotify, etc. The thing is other devices at the same area where the speakers are placed (android box, cable TV box and TV) have no issue getting good Wi-Fi signals and being able to stream videos smoothly.

I wonder if the Wi-Fi chipset or antenna used in the speakers are of inferior quality.

(2) I can't get the HDMI to work with my TV via its HDMI ARC port. I tried that using 2 different HDMI (High Speed) cables, but there is no connection to the speakers. The "TV" sign keeps blinking on top of the primary speaker.

The TV is a rather old model, Sony KDL-50W800B. Thinking perhaps the fault lies with the TV, I then tried to use the HDMI port (of the KEF) with 2 different DVD players to play a CD. Same issue : the speakers can't detect any signal.

I would have thought the HDMI port should work with any audio source via HDMI connection.

I wonder if my speakers are faulty.

Would appreciate views from anyone, especially if you have experienced the same issues.

Thanks!

(1) the Wi-Fi reception of the speakers seems rather weak. I have been experiencing audio drop outs rather often (coupled with messages in KEF Connect saying the speakers are not connected) when I use Wi-Fi to stream songs from Spotify, etc.

(2) I can't get the HDMI to work with my TV via its HDMI ARC port. I tried that using 2 different HDMI (High Speed) cables, but there is no connection to the speakers. The "TV" sign keeps blinking on top of the primary speaker.
@MalLee, on the wifi problem, unplug the speakers, wait a few minutes, and then plug them back in and restart. Does that help at all? If not, I recommend you contact Kef support and have them work through the problem. Do you have just a single router or are you using mesh or anything similar?

I have an older TV (a Sony Bravia KDL-47W802A) and I ended up using both HDMI and Optical connections. I set the Kef to Optical Input. With HDMI alone I had no sound. With Optical alone, the TV would alway be reverting back to internal speakers.

My situation perhaps different in that I'm using an Apple TV box providing signal to the TV via HDMI. So in my case the speakers are fed optical from the Apple TV box and HDMI from the TV. Not at all sure this is optimal, but that's what is working for me.

@MalLee, on the wifi problem, unplug the speakers, wait a few minutes, and then plug them back in and restart. Does that help at all? If not, I recommend you contact Kef support and have them work through the problem. Do you have just a single router or are you using mesh or anything similar?

I have an older TV (a Sony Bravia KDL-47W802A) and I ended up using both HDMI and Optical connections. I set the Kef to Optical Input. With HDMI alone I had no sound. With Optical alone, the TV would alway be reverting back to internal speakers.

My situation perhaps different in that I'm using an Apple TV box providing signal to the TV via HDMI. So in my case the speakers are fed optical from the Apple TV box and HDMI from the TV. Not at all sure this is optimal, but that's what is working for me.
@flotsam Tx so much for sharing.

On the Wi-Fi issue, I tried the unplug-and-plug-back method before and it didn't help. But I think (and hope) I have solved my problem by switching the speakers to 5GHz band. Im using a single router which is another room just across from where the speakers are; had to move it further out to the middle of the room to enable the speakers to get a decent 5GHz signal.

The strange thing is the Netgear app shows that the 5GHz signal the speakers are getting is actually weaker than what they could get for 2.4GHz, albeit the speed of the former is much higher. With 5GHz I hardly get drop outs for the past few days. Guess the higher speed is the key here.

On the HDMI issue, I contacted KEF and sent my logs. Their initial response (which is typical I suppose) is that they will investigate and try to improve future firmware updates.

I am currently left with the optical route only. I can get audio with only an optical cable connected.

@MalLee it's good to hear that you're having luck with the 5GHz wifi band. At least, that's something. I am a little shocked to hear that you've had to put the router in the middle of the room... when it's just one room over from the Kefs. Ugh.

With my setup I'm probably about the same distance away from the router as you describe: adjacent room and opposite corner. I do have line-of-sight from the Kefs to my router through the open doorways, however. But should this even matter, I wonder.

Do you think there might be source of interference? Of course there are TVs which are notorious for this. However, even my air purifier has a wifi radio (which cannot be turned off) and I think it's given me interference problems in the past.

For TV, as mentioned, I've also found that I need an optical connection. Really I don't have any complaints about the sound; it's quite engaging. But I also could not get sound via HDMI alone, ARC or not.

The speakers could be faulty, but it may as well be your WiFi's issue. When it comes to the WiFi issues, there are many factors that may play in. Here are just a few:

1) Neighbours' interference - The newer equipment that supports the 5 GHz frequency band is has a shorter signal range and is therefore less likely to create and pick up interference from networks than older equipment using the 2.4 GHz band. Solution: Move your router further away from your neighbours' router, closer to your devices, move on to 5GHz.

2) Bluetooth - Wireless devices such as headphones, speakers, headsets, keyboards, and mice can interfere with the Wi-Fi signals. Bluetooth uses a technology called frequency hopping, which means it skips around the 2.4 GHz band, up to 1600 times per second. When equipment that uses Bluetooth, jumps into the frequency range of equipment that uses Wi-Fi, it can therefore ruin some of the Wi-Fi traffic and create delays. Solution: Move on to 5 GHz.

3) Thick/ timber/ concrete walls - They all constitute a significant obstacle to wireless signals. Solution: In that case the best solution could be to get a faster (newer generation) router, a WiFi range extender or if is still does not help build a network of ethernet connected access points.

4) Microwave ovens - They use electromagnetic waves of 2.4 GHz to heat food. Unfortunately, the older Wi-Fi standards, 802.11 b/g/n also use electromagnetic waves at 2.4 GHz, but with far weaker transmit power. No matter how well are the microwaves isolated, there is always a tiny bit of leakage involved. Solution: well....if you find that it interferes with the WiFi on your audio setup, perhaps reheat your food before the audio sessions.

5) Baby Monitors, Walkie-Talkies and Other Radios - Such equipment tends to use the same frequency as the older Wi-Fi standards 802.11 b/g/n and will therefore interfere with the 2.4 GHz band. Solution: Move on to 5 GHz frequency. Keep them off when not in use.

6) TV - Probably, one of the most common sources of interference. Solution: Place your router away from your TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom