Question Kef LS50 or Dali Menuet or Kef R100 or Another for a small room?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by kifi, Jun 28, 2016.

1. kifi

kifi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anybody heard each of these: Kef LS50, Kef R100, Dali Menuet? I'm looking for a lively speaker for a small room, 11 ft x 13 ft. Budget is max £1000. I do not want a laid back speaker (I had Harbeth P3ESR and thought that they were too laid back). I really love speakers that provide that impression where the vocals are so real it seems as though the artist is right in front of you. I thought the Harbeths were somewhat veiled in this regard.

Any opinions on the speakers i've listed, or another one that might suit?

Thanks!

2. KenM10759

KenM10759

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Of those, the LS50 definitely fits the bill. Barely more than the R100, the sound is notably more accurate, and perhaps goes a bit deeper. I believe it does. Depending upon which music you listen to you may still need a subwoofer with anything that small. They are never bright but not veiled, just really close to dead accurate.

By the way, your assessment of the Harbeth is exactly the same as mine. Classic warm "British sound", nothing to get excited about.

3. kifi

kifi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Ken. It seems that we have similar tastes, at least based on our common view of the Harbeths. Id be interested to hear from you on which other bookshelf speakers gave you the more lively exciting sound that I'm seeking

4. Onlythesound

Onlythesound
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Have you thought about auditioning the R300s (slightly larger room ability) or the ATC scm 11s? The latter in particular, though in my view, a bit ugly, might suit perfectly. They would mean stretching those pounds a bit though....

Good luck anyway

David

5. KenM10759

KenM10759

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Audition the Monitor Audio Gold 50. More money but still a compact size. I think they're a little too bright for my taste, you might like them.

6. Southern soul

Southern soul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Ls50's are great and worth an audition, given the price drops of pmc speakers maybe the pmc 21's or the older but stunning little DB1i's, i use the pmc TB2i's and they are stunning but might be too big for your room.

The kef R300's will be too big for you room, i tried them in my 15ft x 12ft room and they didn't work well at all.

7. Cribbster

Cribbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    What amp are you planning to use as that could make quite a difference. I would also consider looking at the stand mount Tannoys (Revolution XT 6 or Precision) along with the Kef R300. The R300s might be a bit tame and polite depending on your amp. Also have a look at the B&W CM5 S2. I eventually went for the CM6 S2s as I felt they were better but the difference was very small.

8. NigMos

NigMos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had some Dali Menuets now for 18 months and have not been disappointed. They seem to work with all types of music even though they are bookshelf mounted. I can remember auditioning them against LS50's and they just had more kick and a cleaner sound which I prefer. They don't shake the walls but I am always amazed by the bass from such a small box.

9. Cribbster

Cribbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    If you haven't purchased yet one thing I did notice over the weekend and may be worth auditioning is a stonking offer on PMC twenty21 speakers at HiFiX. Who knows, they may be a bit bass light, but they could work very well for you. Worth a try at the price, I would say!

10. Longy00000

Longy00000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I would be looking to demo the ls50 and tannoy precision 6.1. Have heard both and from what your requirements are I think they can both fit that bill.
    Both offering dual concentric drivers which I think help deliver that clarity of vocals some speakers lack.

11. MIKEVO

MIKEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    Don't discount Active Speakers.

Something like the AVI DM5 has amazing imaging, soundstage and bass for its tiny size.

There are loads of Actives here: Active Studio Monitors, Powered Studio Monitors - DV247 | DV247

Just another option and usually much better value than a passive setup, bearing in mind you get at least 4 power amps thrown in for free.

12. Bfs99

Bfs99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I previously owned the LS50. Personally, i find the speakers rather hard to match (to a suitable amp). Tried quite a couple of changs bef finding the exposure 3010s2 actually matches it quite well. It is a good pair of speakers no doubt, particularly considering itz price, but provided u cld find a suitable amp to match it.

13. KenM10759

KenM10759

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    I think it takes a seasoned, highly critical ear to be so discerning about amps matching speakers. Right behind that is "matching" speaker cables. In my experience the order of components having an affect on sound quality it would be speakers, source music, source media player, pre-amp (or signal processing), power amp, interconnect cables and lastly, speaker cables.

My own ears aren't qualified enough to hear any noticeable difference on the last three, and it's quite a steep curve on the first four. If you can objectively hear profound differences with those, I applaud you...and envy you.

14. Bfs99

Bfs99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I may have just joined this forum, and may certainly not be as experienced or knowledgeable as most here, but have spent the last 12 years dabbing in different amps/speakers/cables and the like to perhaps understand enough that in any AtoB comparisons in hi-fi, no party will be able to produce substantial evidence to bring to the High Courts (metaphorically speaking) to prove or disprove that the other party is right or wrong, as most statements about hi-fi are but subjective and opinionated perspectives. And having owned the LS50 for the last two years, I formed an opinion based on what sounds good to my ears with respect to the amp/speakers. Experiences may vary of course, but there is certainly no harm for anyone to take different perspectives into account, particularly from users whom have first-hand experience on the said product, prior to making any judgement to purchase or otherwise. Juz my two cents. I appreciate your feedback.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  15. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Kifi, sounds like you need a speaker designed for accuracy rather than a 'comfortable' listen or some other 'effect', a speaker with a flat (i.e. accurate) frequency response and low levels of distortion. A speaker that allows the power amps to exert a vice-like grip on drive unit motion for realistic micro and macro dynamics and a clean, extended bass response. Such a speaker also needs to exhibit consistent electrical behavior at the crossover point and maintain a high amplifier damping factor on the drive units (even outside the drive unit's passband) for coherent, rock-solid 3D imaging.

Good luck finding these qualities in a £1000 passive design.

16. KenM10759

KenM10759

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    The KEF R300 are closer to that description than the R100 or Dali Menuet, and are priced at Frank Harvey hifix. The best value I see there though would be the PMC Twenty.21 at only £849. Wow.

17. Eagle 123

Eagle 123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    They being replaced by the 25

18. KenM10759

KenM10759

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    I'm well aware of that, I'm just suggesting for that low price the Twenty.21 is still an incredibly good speaker for a terrific price. The OP suggested a maximum of £1000, so those come in under budget and deliver far over.

19. Eagle 123

Eagle 123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Heard the kef r300 nice light sound could do with a bit of bass I ended up buying the r700 instead

But for a small room the kef r300 would be ideal so long it on decent stand mounts however try the Dali's

20. KenM10759

KenM10759

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    On the right stands (heavy duty, weighted), the R300 can actually sound a bit deeper for some reason unknown to me.

21. Eagle 123

Eagle 123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Must be the ballast in the stands they isolate the noise so make the sound flow more naturally.

Room acoustics can also have a effect or it can be a placebo effect

22. floyd droid62

floyd droid62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    your room is almost exactly the same size as mine 11 FT x 14FT ;i have really bad bass problems and i was curious if you find it impossible to play any speaker full range as i do,?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016