KEF LS50 Meta Standmount Speaker Review & Comments

matthewpiano78

An interesting read, thank you!

I've got a pair arriving today in the royal blue finish, so after a few days of running in and then listening attentively I will report back.

Canti1982

I could see many people wanting to pair these with the Powernode 2i but I do wonder if it's really going to be able to get the best from these.

I do think it the right minimal setting these speakers look fantastic, I'm not 100% sold on the coloured drivers but that's very much a matter of taste.

If they are indeed picky about what amp you use with them then it might be sensible for people to take a look at the active versions as Kef would have matched them up with some suitable amplification and taken some of the unknown factors out of the equation.

boabis

Would these have made Editor’s Choice if dates had lined up?

I do covet a pair of these (or the Wireless models), as the looks and the UniQ driver are total nerd catnip for me.

Toon Army

Good review and sounds as though the best way to assess these speakers is to test them with our own amplifiers. Almost worth testing in a dealer alongside the old LS50s to see if they are noticeable improvements.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
That question was neatly sidestepped by them slipping a month in delivery (this is actually a November review written and shot last week). They're easily going to be in contention for 2021.

gibbsy

Was it the ability of the Brio to drive the speaker or do you think it is a Rega partner disparity. There's no doubting an Elicit-R would have the power.

Onlythesound

@Jules you’re right and it begs the question ‘how do you improve the (almost) perfect’? Out of interest what amp(s) drive your 7 year veterans?

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I’m a little puzzled as to why Kef introduced the new backplate in a quite modest(ish) speaker?

Not really modest, naturally, but I would have thought that it would have been introduced in say the Reference models first, with something of a fuss made about it.

Are the tweeters in the Ref’ series immune to the problems the backplate improves I wonder?

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member

I do covet a pair of these (or the Wireless models), as the looks and the UniQ driver are total nerd catnip for me.
They are simple looking and they do appeal, but I do hope there’s an SE edition in all ‘stealth’ black again.

Superaintit

Standard Member
I am one of those people that didn't like the kef ls-50 wireless very much.

I am used to an effortless speaker with well integrated bass. The LS 50 was a small speaker and came nowhere near the fullness of sound I hear daily. Neither was it effortless. To me they sounded hifi, boxy.

I was and am more charmed by pmc speakers or Beolab 9.

boabis

I am one of those people that didn't like the kef ls-50 wireless very much.

I am used to an effortless speaker with well integrated bass. The LS 50 was a small speaker and came nowhere near the fullness of sound I hear daily. Neither was it effortless. To me they sounded hifi, boxy.

I was and am more charmed by pmc speakers or Beolab 9.
These speakers didn’t match up to a £5k pair of B&Os, how intriguing, tell me more.

Superaintit

Standard Member
Apparently I answered 1 question in the review and affirmed your conviction at once.

Considering the Beolab 9 can be had for 2000 to 2500 and a Beosound core is about 500 second hand it is a genuine alternative when you're considering buying a streamer and amp costing a grand each plus a subwoofer.

boabis

Apparently I answered 1 question in the review and affirmed your conviction at once.

Considering the Beolab 9 can be had for 2000 to 2500 and a Beosound core is about 500 second hand it is a genuine alternative when you're considering buying a streamer and amp costing a grand each plus a subwoofer.
Why not a pair of Quad ESLs, they’re about a grand used?

Jokerr

From these Speakerings what is the performance for playing the song “Yah Yah Dingdong”?

Ron Hilditch

Demo'd the original LS50s at a dealers. They were hooked up to lower priced Audiolab kit and they left me totally underwhelmed. The dealer did say they needed to be used with a better quality amplifier. Unfortunately I had to get back to work. Never got to hear them again.

Nocturnal

Around 6 years ago I demoed the original LS50s against Wharfdale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers with Arcam, Rega and Naim components.

They sounded too bright for my liking and I bought the more musical speakers.

matthewpiano78

So far so very good with my LS50 Metas.

They sound very nice with my NAD C368, but the Musical Fidelity M2si gets considerably more out of them. There isn't a hint of brightness and I find them to be very well balanced as well as musically immersive. My feeling so far is that I would have to spend considerably more to improve on either amplifier or speakers.

I'll report back again when I've put a few more hours on them.

THX1138UK

Was it the ability of the Brio to drive the speaker or do you think it is a Rega partner disparity. There's no doubting an Elicit-R would have the power.
I'm driving a pair of non-meta LS50s using a Rega Brio and they sound amazing. They are located in quite a small room (snug/den), but I never have to turn the volume control up excessively.

I think Rega and KEF are a fantastic match. I drive my living room R300 speakers with a Rega Elicit-R.

Regards,
James.

Southern soul

He mentions no price hike yet in the UK they are £200 more? also not factoring in cables and connectors will definitely bump the prices up, he used Rocket 88 speaker cables which for a 3 meter pair is £950+, I am also guessing the interconnects/power cables and digital cables were not bog standard. i wonder if the same amount was spent on upgrading the Wireless 2's connections the difference would be so close? just an observation....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett