KEF LS50 Meta + Audiolab 6000A missing the mark

DannyK1987

Standard Member
Just wanted to chime in and give my opinion and findings on the 6000A.

I am currently in the market for a new amp and today I tested both the Rega io and Audiolab 6000a. I've been A/Bing it all day and my conclusion is that even though the 6000A sounds more balanced and in control then the Rega, at the same time this makes music sound boring to me..

The Rega sounds more gritty and less in control then the Audiolab, it is a way more fun and toe tipping listening experience for me. The 6000A keeps whatever I throw at it in a headlock and makes sure it doesn't do anything crazy. It's super clinical.

So I'm pretty sure it's not the lack of base or power that you are missing, it's just the clean and clinical sound you don't (just like me) like.

GavinHallPhoto

Standard Member
Hi Danny, that's really interesting, thanks.

As it happens, I was able to take the LS50 Metas to my Dad's flat recently and try them with his big 1980's Luxman. Exactly as you say, it wasn't as clean as the Audiolab - is anything? - but it grabbed the KEFs by the scruff of the neck and made them boogie.

For anyone who's interested, I decided to send the REL T5i back, and not because it wasn't a great piece of kit. An analogy would be, you've run out of bread and milk and the other half only comes home with cheese, and you're like, "Great now we have cheese, but we still need bread and milk."

audioboogie

Novice Member
I'm a little late here, so not sure if you're still checking this, but I happened to notice it looks like your speaker stands might be on carpet, but without spikes. If this is the case, it might explain the problem at higher volumes, where the speakers would wobble microscopically as they try to push more air, due to the speaker stand sitting on a soft, wide mat instead of being rigidly grounded with spikes, and would affect their sound.

Curious if you get a chance to try spikes, and if you notice a difference or not! Good luck.

GavinHallPhoto

Standard Member
I'm a little late here, so not sure if you're still checking this, but I happened to notice it looks like your speaker stands might be on carpet, but without spikes. If this is the case, it might explain the problem at higher volumes, where the speakers would wobble microscopically as they try to push more air, due to the speaker stand sitting on a soft, wide mat instead of being rigidly grounded with spikes, and would affect their sound.

Curious if you get a chance to try spikes, and if you notice a difference or not! Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did previously have the speakers on spikes but was not a fan of what they were doing to the carpet. When I removed them, I didn't really notice any difference tbh.

On the subject of stands, I could do with filling those because they are hollow right now.

wine man

Spikes do no damage to carpet at all - just a small incision at point of entry which will cover up if you vacuum over the holes. Tables, chairs, cabinets etc are much worse as they compress the pile. I have floorstanders with spikes and they are sitting on carefully levelled screws which are through the carpet and into the boards underneath. This made a huge difference to my ears. The speakers are Audio Physic which are built to the nth degree of rigidity so I thought I would give them every chance to shine!

turskaaa

Novice Member
I wouldn’t bother with any of the amps mentioned, if you want to stick with the passives then you need to be setting your sights higher... Leema Tucana 2, Naim supernait, musical fidelity m5si or 6si, hegel h190 etc. Or just go with the wireless 2’s which will give you the same level of sound quality at a fraction of the price.
I can get Kef's Wireless 1's for 1300 dollars (1150 euros) but I've seen a lot of them on sale and they're not selling very well. I've heard the app is atrocious and the reliability is questionable, so I don't know if I should bite the bullet and buy them. Suggestions?

Ataripower

Interesting reading through most of this thread. I had the same issue with these speakers but perseverance is key if you have the time and patience. I tried several amps including Cyrus One, Audiolab 6000, Marantz PM8600, Quad Vena but was never happy until a nice chap in my local store suggested the NAD M10 and boom, what a combo. It's all subjective I suppose but when you find the one it's worth it 😃

JPanda

Standard Member
I have original LS50's paired with an Arcam SA30. I've been running this setup for a few months and whilst this works quite nicely, I'm missing that bottom end. I toyed with the idea of selling the LS50s and taking advantage of Kef's currently discounted R3's, but in the end I've just added a Rel T7i to my setup this weekend.

I've not done a whole bunch of integration yet, but I'm already hearing an improvement in what I was.

Last edited:

[email protected]

I have original LS50's paired with an Arcam SA30. I've been running this setup for a few months and whilst this works quite nicely, I'm missing that bottom end. I toyed with the idea of selling the LS50s and taking advantage of Kef's currently discounted R3's, but in the end I've just added a Rel T7i to my setup this weekend.

I've not done a whole bunch of integration yet, but I'm already hearing an improvement in what I was.
I tested lots of speakers this weekend with my Roksan Atessa streaming amp out of everything I tested the R3 had the bass low end I like but just before I decided I asked about the 706 S2 from BW these blew me away so I got them, 20% off BW at moment too

pilgrim99

Standard Member
The Rega sounds more gritty and less in control then the Audiolab, it is a way more fun and toe tipping listening experience for me. The 6000A keeps whatever I throw at it in a headlock and makes sure it doesn't do anything crazy. It's super clinical.
This is one of those things I hear about the Rega that really make me wanna try it. No wonder ASR gave it such a harsh review - I'm sure the measurements are terrible. But measurements will fail at explaining and putting into words that X factor that people refer to by using the vague descriptor of "musicality". Just from the way you describe it, I have no doubt in my mind that for rock and pop music, anything energetic, the Rega would be a far better choice.

That being said, I, for example, also listen to softer, slower, more nuanced genres that demand more fine detail and transparency. Not sure how well the IO would present that sort of music.

I am also not a vinyl listener, so the advantages of the IO's phonostage, which is clearly its biggest attraction, are useless for me. I wonder if there are current amps that are as musical as Rega but at the same time are more versatile and equipped with more features (i.e. DAC/streaming capabilities).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom