Question Kef LS 50 meta anyone tried these in an AV rig

silouette

Prominent Member
Reaction score
These seem to be the new Best Buy, anyone given them a try in an Av rig

@Spick72 Hi can i ask if youve got these setup as yet.
Afew pics would be good and how are they doing as im trying to decide on ls50 or r3 at pressent.
Thanks

@Spick72 Hi can i ask if youve got these setup as yet.
Afew pics would be good and how are they doing as im trying to decide on ls50 or r3 at pressent.
Thanks

As I decided on the grey then I am still waiting. I can only get them from the one dealer who is willing to split a pair and their recent allocation was black and white. I have spoken to Kef about the stock issues and they are saying end of the month. Can’t tell you how frustrated I am! Once I get them I will update

Any thoughts on using them (or indeed the wireless versions) as 2.0?

(If non wireless would be driven by Bluesound Powernode 2i V2)

Anyone running just the kef ls50 for movies? I can either get 5 of those or get the monoprice monolith THX-365 speakers.

Unsure what would be better

I have had 3 LS50 Meta for a week now as a front soundstage. Moved up from Dali Oberon 1. They are superb for movies in my room. So far have been binging on Game of Thrones on Blu ray (superb Atmos mix btw) and then normal telly such as Queens Gambit on Netflix and even Bake Off. Watching bake off they are so clean you can hear the difference in how people are mic’d and even random wood pigeons in the background. Musical moments in Queens Gambit are superb and add to the emotion. Overall a good step up in clarity. Still fiddling with set up for 2 channel but they are sounding great. A good upgrade, worth the extra £1500? Depends on your circumstances I suppose.

22BCB057-FB0C-452E-97AC-992798F9797C.jpeg

Thanks they look great your room dosnt look all that big 2x5 mtr perhaps which is a smaller than my space not by much. good to hear you say there working well for front end and stereo.

i binged the Queens gambit last week end was really good.

I like the idea of having a speaker on its side as the centre channel.

Did you have any issues ordering an odd number of the speakers?

I like the idea of having a speaker on its side as the centre channel.

Did you have any issues ordering an odd number of the speakers?

There was only one dealer prepared to do it with such a new product so big shout out to them. It was Peter Tyson in Carlisle. Only compromise was a non standard box. If you give them a shout they defo have a single grey one knocking about 😎

Looks great, can I ask what receiver you are using with the KEF's and do you feel like there's enough power in it?

I use a Denon X3600H for the centre, surrounds and Atmos but there is a Musical Fidelity M2si hiding in the cupboard that powers the fronts so in 2 channel the AVR is not in use

Hi,
Even though I don’t have the LS50 Meta, I have been using the old Kef LS50 as front and center in my 5.2.4 all Kef system, the other speaker are the Kef e305 eggs.
I was initially worried about using the LS50 as a center, as it is normally recommended to use a larger speaker for center duties but I have not found a single weak point as yet with the LS50. I watch Blu-rays, Sky,Apple Tv, Disney+ and Netflix and it has been superb. I don’t know if the AV receiver makes a difference but in combination with the Marantz SR 7013 it has been very impressive. I bought the 7013 and LS50 on sale as newer versions were released. Maybe the LS50 Meta is better but for the price the LS50 is hard to beat. I paid 999 euros total for all 3. Truly a great speaker.
Wayden

Hi,
Even though I don’t have the LS50 Meta, I have been using the old Kef LS50 as front and center in my 5.2.4 all Kef system, the other speaker are the Kef e305 eggs.
I was initially worried about using the LS50 as a center, as it is normally recommended to use a larger speaker for center duties but I have not found a single weak point as yet with the LS50. I watch Blu-rays, Sky,Apple Tv, Disney+ and Netflix and it has been superb. I don’t know if the AV receiver makes a difference but in combination with the Marantz SR 7013 it has been very impressive. I bought the 7013 and LS50 on sale as newer versions were released. Maybe the LS50 Meta is better but for the price the LS50 is hard to beat. I paid 999 euros total for all 3. Truly a great speaker.
Wayden

I have the Kef E305 home system connected to a Denon 2500x AVR.

What are the LS50s like in comparison to the front eggs?

I have the Kef E305 home system connected to a Denon 2500x AVR.

What are the LS50s like in comparison to the front eggs?
Hi Brownvim,
this is only my opinion.
LS50 provide a much larger sound.
Center channel is much better able to deal with complicated tracks.
The voice always remains clear.
Much bigger sound presentation.

Interesting- can someone recommend a good AV amp for a 5.1.2 surround with the meta s please?

Interesting- can someone recommend a good AV amp for a 5.1.2 surround with the meta s please?
You planning on using a separate amp for the fronts or an all in one AVR to drive all speakers? Also do you watch just movies or will you be using it for music a lot?

Thanks - My plan was to use this for movies primarily ... What do you suggest please.

Thanks - My plan was to use this for movies primarily ... What do you suggest please.

Depends on budget I suppose, I use a Denon X3600h (replaced this year with the 3700) it does me fine but I power the Metas off a separate power amp. They are quite hard to drive. It’s hard for me to recommend as I have only heard one amp but I am happy with the Denon

Thanks but can you please outline how you use a separate power amp for the metas etc? Are the metas still hooked up to the 3700?

I do like Kef speakers bit I wouldn't use standpoints for main/center,.I like bigger meatier speakers.

Thanks but can you please outline how you use a separate power amp for the metas etc? Are the metas still hooked up to the 3700?

Any AVR with pre-outs can be hooked up to a power amp. I'm guessing that @Spick72 takes the pre out for the front L/R into the power amp. When you turn the volume up on the AVR it acts like a pre-amp and increases the level out to the power amp.

It has the benefit of having more power to drive the fronts, a separate power supply and it lightens the load on the AVR as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom