Kef Kit 100 Help

reardoni

Established Member
Hi this may be in the wrong forum, so i apologise in advance.
The problem i am having is when trying to get the receiver / head unit to take a 5.1 signal via the optical in. I have tried from both the xbox 360 / PS3 and a new hd-ep30 and for each, the player can only identify either a downmixed PCM signal from both the ep30 and PS3 and only stereo sound from the 360. I have set the hd-dvd drive to output a bitstream. I have spoken with KEF who mentioned something to do with the Buffer on the Kit 100. As you can probably tell from the above, i am still learning and know very little about audio components and some help would be really appreciated. What i believe is happening that the sound is not being output fast enough or too fast for the kit 100 to process and hence some extra component (if it exists) needs to pre-process it before it gets to the kit 100. thanks to anyone in advance as any type of help or advice would be greatly appreciated (as kef didn't seem to know what to do).

sp_harris

Established Member
I wonder if your problem is that you are trying to send the wrong sound formats from the players - I guess this system only takes Dolby Digital over optical. I would try a single player such as PS3 select a DVD, then select a dolby digitial sound track, then report back what happens on your amp.

reardoni

Established Member
Hi thanks for the reply, I have sent a dolby digital signal from the PS3 (from a blu ray) and the Kef identifies it as a dolby signal but will not actually output any sound. Having spoke to kef again, it seems the processor inside the kit 100 (Zoran Processor) is unable to cope with the sampling rate (khz). Hence it seems that i will have to either just deal with it being Pro Logic 2 or if anyone knows anything about down sampling either via a device similar to the optical to coax converter or whether i can route it through another receiver which can do the down sampling for me. Again any advice would be much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom