KEF KHT5005 vs 2005.2 Eggs Opinions

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I was all set to buy some 2005.2 Eggs from a local dealer. I want something smaller to please the wife and she likes the silver eggs. The dealer had them on offer for £500 for 5 sats + 1 sub in silver. Stands which probably would be required are 70 per pair making a grand total of £640.

Whilst I was there I spotted some other speakers that took my fancy and these were the KHT5005 which I think look nicer. I had a quick demo of the front ones of those as the store was closing shortly. I was impressed as the front sound field seemed better. The salesman checked and said they were able to do a good deal on them because they were coming to the end of life. The normal price with floor stands was quoted as 1200 and the deal for 5 sats + 1 sub with floors stands in silver was £800. Which seems a good deal.

Its just I have not seen any reviews so I was wondering what people that own them think or what I other sub/sat combinations I should look at.

I currently have KEF Q55s a Reference 100 center and Model 60S Surrounds driven by a Yamaha DSP-A1.

Do you think I would be getting as good results from either of the above systems or not, am I selling my self short?

(I don't have a sub as I sold it again to please the wife for £150. Unfortunately I had checked the bay out previously and none had been around so I put it on the forums for £150 which somebody snapped up. I then saw a few go on the bay for £335, doh :mad: . But c'est la vie, I only paid 400 for mine new.)

lewi

Novice Member
pieguts said:
My Kef 2005.2 are excellent for Films,but dissapointing for music.
That's a shame. I was rather warming to them. Any suggestions for an audially good, small, 5.1 sound system?

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
You might want to hold off a short while on the Kef 2005's. I had a listen to the new 3000 series at the Bristol Show, and as I've said elsewhere, they seemed quite impressive for a sub/sat system. The KEF guy also mentioned that when they launch the 3000, the 2005 will drop in price anyway so any deals available now, may not actually be that great. I think they said they'd be about £1000 for the set but wasn't really paying attention to figures.

On the music they played which was the normal show Jazz easy on the ears (Boz Scaggs?) and easy on the speakers ;) the combination sounded quite listenable. Of course, the real test would be some more complex music, but if you're in the market for this type of speaker 'd put them on your demo list.

Ian.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Tis always true something new round the corner. Have you heard the 2005.2 just wondered what you thought of those in comparison.

I do wonder how much lower the eggs will go as they are down £300 from their original price and I presume they are not going to drop them from the range?

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
ChuckMountain said:
Tis always true something new round the corner. Have you heard the 2005.2 just wondered what you thought of those in comparison.

No I've not heard the 2005's, I'm not a fan of sub/sat systems personally, which was why the 3000's stuck out as sounding better than others I've heard.

ChuckMountain said:
I do wonder how much lower the eggs will go as they are down £300 from their original price and I presume they are not going to drop them from the range?

Again, don't know, I guess the point I'm making is that don't worry about losing out on a good price, the 2005's are being repositioned lower down in the KEF range so I expect you'll still be able to get them for a good price once the 3000's are available, which I think was in the next month or so... I agree there's always something new coming but given that these are almost here I wouldn't rush into the 2005's without hearing these first.

HTH,

Ian.

huntere

ChuckMountain said:
Is that because of your amp? How musical is the 757?

Where the 6000's any good then? Lots more money though :eek:

As for musicality I think the 757 is ok. I use it 90% for movie so not an expert in this field but reviews suggest its ok and in Pure Direct mode capable. There are several comments on here that KEF 2005's are not great for music so I would "blame" them.

Erm yes the 6000's were fab. Granted in that budget the choices are large but certainly the best sat/sub system I've heard.

Phill1978

Novice Member
i have the kef eggs (latest model)
sound is very detailed, suprisingly decent bass, there is not stand out treble mid bass its all the same, dynamics are good and all in all a really exellent speaker for its size its better than any PC/sub sat ive heard by a long way and offer true clarity.

you may want to use three for rears *(buy spearatley) and order the new 3005 kefs which are much the same but larger x2 in blcak or silver, they look great and will integrate well with the smaller 2005 kefs.

cheers.

i use them at the mo with an arcam 7se, MF xa-2 amp, vandenhul speaker wire (like £23 a meter :eek:) but with this i feel the eggs still dont disapoint.

one problem is they dont project a 3d image of sound very well although that could be posistioning. id think as rear speakers they are well up for the job and get the larger 3005 at the front

hope this helps

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom