1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef KHT5005 - experiences please?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DigitalSmurf, Dec 14, 2004.

1. DigitalSmurf

DigitalSmurf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm about to make the big dive into home cinema and am quite interested in the 5005s, but can't seem to find a lot of info. There are a few posts on here, but only found by searching.

- Has anyone seen an "official" review anywhere. I found none...?
    - Any users/owners with tips and views?

My alternatives are the 2005.2 eggs or the Mordaunt Short Genies. At book price the 5005s are 50% more than the eggs, is this justified? :confused:

Any help/advice gratefully received!

Rgds,
    PappaSmurf :rolleyes:

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I do not think the 5005’s are £400 better than the eggs (going on rrp). To my ears they were only marginally better and offer a good lifestyle solution if space is of a premium. They do look fab, especially with the official stands. :smashin:

I thought the 5005’s were good with movies but very poor with music. If music is important then look at the Genies. Do you definitely want to go down the sub/sat route or are floorstanders an option?

3. DigitalSmurf

DigitalSmurf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments.......I will of course be going to listen to all contenders first.... :rolleyes:

I really want to stick to sub/sat, the room is not that big and floorstanders will just add to the clutter.

Da Pappa :cool:

4. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr D Smurf,

Worth also demo'ing the monitor audio Radius series as they are a good compromise between movies & music.

do a search & you find quite a few happy punters + pictures!!

Cheers
    Matt :D

5. David_of_Surrey

David_of_Surrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  6. Atano

Atano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I demoed the 5005's and 2005's when looking for a new system for my livingroom. There's definately a difference, the sound is less "boxy" and abit more punch in midtone. That said I don't believe they beat the 2005's when it comes to value, I feel the difference in sound does not justify the price difference.

I ended up demoing a dali sub/sat system aswell, but I ended up with five small balls with a matching sub from Gallo. The 5005's came second to the Gallos when it came to playing music IMO.

Good luck in your search ;)

7. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

The Canton CD50 is excellant, put 5 of those on the wall and a Velodyne sub or Canton AS25 sub and it will out perform most speaker systems of a simalar price and look.

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I would agree that if you’re looking to spend around £1200 on the Kef 5005’s then it is definitely worth auditioning the MA Radius series which is about a £100 dearer. They look nicer and sound better than the 5005’s…

… and most importantly they are WAF :thumbsup:

9. DigitalSmurf

DigitalSmurf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for your comments.

I did some serious listening tests yesterday, and am now the proud owner of a set of 5005s. :) They sound and look wonderful :clap:

Cheers,
    PappaSmurf :cool:

10. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Ive just bought 2 Kef Eggs mark2 versions for £185 brand new. Without a doubt the best small speakers ive heard and through my Musical fidelity XA-2 amp using vandenhul wires the sound is better than when using my B&W CDM1se (european loudspeaker of the year 1995) costing £650. But thats what a decade of progress gets you.

comparing sizes and @ £100 per speaker if you were to increase the size of the eggs the price would increase significantly. Who would spend £100 on a speaker which is so small and doesnt do bass ? someone who appreciates that there equivelent to much more expensive gear.

iam blown away with the level of sound and the decent ammount of bass just two small speaker push out, but the clarity and separtion is much better than sealed speaker boxes and no brightness (which is odd becuase my setup edgess towards it) i actually feel like the amp and speakers are at a level where my CDplayer is exposed and im getting everything from it.. its only a arcam 7se but still its nice to know i can put a higher quality source £800 ? level and get even more out of them.

im in love with them, im getting another 4. some things are just right regardless of cost.

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Nice work PappaSmurf - let us know how you get on. Must be an awesome combo with your Pioneer AX5Ai!

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Do you like the eggs for music, I found them to be quite flat at higher levels to be honest. But everyone's ears are different, that's why home cinema/hi-fi is such a subjective hobby!

13. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    yea the eggs are perfect for bedroom music listening at moderate volumes. dont know how they will fair when i get 6 in the living room. i already have the sub aswell btw.

14. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I imagine they'd be fine for the bedroom. Let us know how you get on when you move them into the living toom!

15. xrzhang

xrzhang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congratulations!

I bought 5005 2 monthes ago and before my decision I tried BOSE and EGG. 5005 is good for both movie and music. What amplifier do u use? I bought a Denon 3805!

16. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Denon's and Kef's go very well together. Even the Denon 2805 would be able to run the 5005's very well :smashin:

17. DigitalSmurf

DigitalSmurf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, things sound just dandy here. My friend, the other Pappa (of Santa Claus fame) brought us some nice DVDs like the Star Wars Trilogy and LOTR-Return Of The King (Extended). We also have some good music DVDs with a decent 5.1 audio track (like Phil Collins Serious Hits Live), so the new system has been getting quite a bash over Xmas :laugh:

Before buying we compared the 2005 eggs with the 5005s, and the Denon 3805 with the Pioneer AX5Ai-S. Those listening all agreed:
    - the Pioneer has a much brighter sound than the Denon
    - the 5005s sounded much cleaner than the eggs, the centre in particular when watching a film

Cheers,
    Pappa :cool:

18. ssimpson31

ssimpson31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the kef 5005 with the ax5is amp but i use the rel storm sub and the pioneer dvd with the i link and its just great totaly fab for films and not bad at all for music

not as good as my mission 753f but amazing for there size

19. eddie_talbot

eddie_talbot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I'd weigh in here with a recommendation for the KHT5005 speakers, a stereo pair of which I bought several months ago.

Before purchasing I also listened to :-

KEF Eggs - sounded good if perhaps a bit bright - also I was worried that in a Home Cinema situation a small Egg as the important centre speaker may not really cut the mustard.

B&W VM1 - looked good but sounded rather dull to my ears.

In the end it was down to the Eggs vs the 5005 - I thought the strength was in the 5005s was really the clarity of vocals in music - to me they were a definite cut above the Eggs. And I think they look much sexier on their official stands as well as being unobtrusive because they are so slim.

Very satisfied with stereo performance (and I used to own a pair of B&W CDM 1NT). When I'm able to go 5.1 again I shall purchase three more.

Currently paired with a Denon 2802 receiver, REL Q200E providing bass and QED Silver cable.

20. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I was undecided over my new setup before xmas. So i opted for the best of both worlds. Eggs front and rear, but a 5005 for centre, to give it that extra punch in movies. I'm pleased with my setup, but i notice that the eggs dont fill the room (19' x 15') as well as my old Wharfedale Diamond 8's, but then i half expected that, due to the size. Still, enjoy my setup, and give the sounds without taking up all the space. Enjoy your 5005's!! :thumbsup:

21. Paul430

Paul430

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody compared the Monitor Audio r225 against the B&W VM1, KHT 2005.2 or 5005? I am about to purchase a Denon 3805 receiver and am looking for speakers for a home theatre application around my plasma tv, but I also want good stereo performance. I haven't been able to demo the r225s yet as I live in New York City and it's surprisingly difficult to find a retailer who has them available for a demo. Feedback from anyone who has demo'd them would be appreciated.

22. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Another vote for the 5005s here. I have a 6.1 configuration connected up to a Denon 3805 and am very happy with the results indeed. In all honesty my choice was somewhat dictated by the fact that I didn't want to fill the room with boxes so to speak and therefore I wanted something that would blend in whilst also offering a decent soundstage. I had initially considered eggs but as soon as I heard the bigger 5005s the decision was an easy one. Would be interesting to try a set of the new 6005s but for now I have the perfect setup for my needs.