1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF KHT3005 or B&W VM1/LM1 ???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sTTu, Feb 16, 2003.

1. sTTu

sTTu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Liking the look and spec of the new KEF KHT3005 and the B&W stuff, ie; 3 x VM1's + 2 x LM1s + AS1 Sub.

Anyone heard these two set ups back to back ?

Your wisdom & comments appreciated.

Thanks !

sTTu

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Do you really mean KHT3005? The "eggs" that I know of are the KHT2005 ... and looking at www.KEF.co.uk there's no meantion of a new KHT3005.

On the assumption that you mean the KHT2005 ... there was a review last month in What HiFi which rated a full set of the B&W VM1s as being better than the KEF Eggs. Several people here have said the same thing ... though I understand its a close run thing ... I don't think either will disappoint if you allow for the inevitable compromise with "leisure" speakers.

What amp are you going to power them with?

Victoria

3. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +431
    I listened to both the KEF's and the VM1's before plumping for the B&W's - they have the edge IMO. I went for 5 VM'1's though, rather than using any LM1's (mine are all wall-mounted and the VM'1 look more elegant when mounted this way), and am using a REL Q150 sub.

4. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Hi Radiohead

Can I ask you about you setup

When listening to music do you use the relq150 also ie switch the mode on the REL to music, or do you just use the VM1's for music listening

Thanks

5. sTTu

sTTu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi

This is what I saw.....and doing a search on Google brought up a few referances, apparently a new sub ?

http://www.movement-audio.co.uk/website/kef-kht3005.html

Is the B&W Sub AS1 any good, I assume its better to stick to a matched set ?

Thanks

sTTu

6. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +431
    I use both the high and low level connections on the Q150, with different volume settings for both AV and music. They sound excellent.

7. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +545
    Have been looking at the VM-1s recently, certainly over the kef's, but am currently being swayed by the Gallo micro's ... good reviews from those on the forums and recomendations over the VM-1s ...

Jon

8. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +431
    and about £400 more.....personally I don't feel the Gallos are priced well, and that the VM1's are better with music - there was nothing in it with DVD.

9. klee

klee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those in the know have read my review, but just in case here it is again:

<B&W VM1 Monitors + AS1 Sub>

For the ultimate setup in this price bracket, go for the best sub you can afford in the price brackets of the REL Q150, MJ Acoustics Pro 50 etc (~£400) else for worry free system, the AS1 is perfectly matched and will bring a smile to your face from day 1. The pricier subs will be required for much much larger rooms or perhaps for *ultimate* bottom end control. But really your average purpose built apartments or victorian conversions only need the AS1. The operative word here being *ultimate*.

KLee

10. sTTu

sTTu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    KLee,

I read the review, very interesting. Our lounge is typical 1930's 16ft x 12ft6" and knocked through to the dining room (about the same size) so its a small room really. I'm just wondering if a REL sub would be overkill or if the AS1 is enough. Budget is everything but I don't want to skimp for the sake of a couple of hundred quid.

I will be having a demo of the KEF eggs and the B&W's but I've kinda made up my mind already. They will sound different in the lounge compared to a demo room anyway.

I looked at stuff like the Misson 6 pack, but at that price are they naff or is that just a snobbish asumption that the more money stuff is, the better it is.

Cheers !

sTTu