• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

KEF KHT3005 - Help Needed

R

rollinson1

Could someone please explain the difference between KEF KHT3005 and KEF KHT3005 Se
Thanks Paul

Event Horizon

hi!!

KEF 3005SE has Brand new 115mm (4.25”) Uni-Q driver and a 19 mm (3/4”) aluminium dome tweeter
New Sealed Suspension System (SST) in the new KEF 3005SEs eliminates air noise between woofer and tweeter
KEF KHT3005SE has radial reinforcing ribs on the bass/mid range cone
Parabolic enclosures in the
KEF 3005 SE set are computer optimised to eliminate cabinet distortions
The KEF 3005 SE are ferrofluid cooled for better power handling and driven by twin neodymium magnets
KEF 3005SE has a new 250W HTB2 Subwoofer
i think this covers some of them
best regards
nick.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
hi!!

KEF 3005SE has Brand new 115mm (4.25”) Uni-Q driver and a 19 mm (3/4”) aluminium dome tweeter
New Sealed Suspension System (SST) in the new KEF 3005SEs eliminates air noise between woofer and tweeter
KEF KHT3005SE has radial reinforcing ribs on the bass/mid range cone
Parabolic enclosures in the
KEF 3005 SE set are computer optimised to eliminate cabinet distortions
The KEF 3005 SE are ferrofluid cooled for better power handling and driven by twin neodymium magnets
KEF 3005SE has a new 250W HTB2 Subwoofer
i think this covers some of them
best regards
nick.

The problem is that all of the above relate to the 3005.1 Not the SE version! as confirmed by the Kef website!

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Basically theres a crown on the vocaliser (the middle bit) to make it a bit stronger and sound better and the sub has been improved with better electronics (the power supply unit sometimes failed on the older version). Its also been improved with better adjustment functions allowing it to be more adaptable for issues sutch as room acoustics.

KEF Ben

Standard Member
Could someone please explain the difference between KEF KHT3005 and KEF KHT3005 Se

The HTB2 subwoofer has been re-balanced and equalised to provide more extension, play louder and offer even better integration with the re-balanced centre and sat speakers.
The addition of the ‘tangerine-waveguide’ improves dispersion, max SPL and protects the hf unit from inquisitive fingers!

HTB2 & HTB2SE subwoofers use a B&O sourced 250W "class d" icepower amp module.

Hope this helps

Mungbean

I have been looking for this thread for about an hour and half and kept going right passed it!

So what does it boil down to between these really, is the SQ that much difference, im thinking of getting the 3005 - but with the SE's out will i be disappointed by the old 3005's?

Its quite a saving in £'s

Ashton1

Standard Member
Nick, if you phone around rather than rely on the quoted online price you can probably get a deal on the SE version, making the difference between the old and the new much lower. Try Hifix and some branches of Sevenoaks AV. You're likely to have to visit to buy though rather than be able to do it all by courier. Make sure you include speaker floor stands in the quote if you need them as the list price is not cheap.

Also, the 3005SE is in short supply. I have mine on order but the next batch is not due into the UK until sometime next month.

Pete

Mr_Sukebe

So what does it boil down to between these really, is the SQ that much difference, im thinking of getting the 3005 - but with the SE's out will i be disappointed by the old 3005's?

The only comparison I've ever read between the SE's and the non were in WHF, and I'd like to suggest that trusting their judgement might not always be the optimum route.
Frankly I'd be surprised if there's that much in it, but I'll happily be told otherwise if someone has really compared the two.

woojah

Standard Member
The only comparison I've ever read between the SE's and the non were in WHF, and I'd like to suggest that trusting their judgement might not always be the optimum route.
Frankly I'd be surprised if there's that much in it, but I'll happily be told otherwise if someone has really compared the two.

I own the 3005SEs.

Before I bought them my gf compared the 3005 and 3005SE in the same shop (I wasn't able to myself as I was busy).

She doesn't read WHF - so there was no bias going into the demonstration. In fact she doesn't have much interest in these things other than it must 'look good' ;)

She said that the SEs sounded distinctly better - fuller sound, crisper and more detailed.

I interpret that as there being a significant difference, as she normally isn't able to tell subtle differences in the quality in things.

Be warned though. Yes, the 3005SEs are good for movies. But I don't rate them for music. But that's not that I bought them for.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom