1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF KHT205 vs. B&W VM1/AS1???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by simon_bai, Apr 27, 2003.

1. simon_bai

simon_bai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help me to decide, thanks!
    When I was just about making up my mind and go for the KEF2005 eggs for £600, I was stopped by a frined who is saying that the B&W VM1/AS1 package (£850) is far more superior package than the eggs especially on the music performance, is this true? Do you think it is worthwhile for me to spend £250 more hard earned cash?
    Also, does anyone know shall I go for the receiver of Pioneer VSD X811 or Denon 1803. Both for about £300 at unbeatable.co.uk
    Thanks for your advice.

2. simon_bai

simon_bai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody any idea???

3. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the eggs with a denon 3802. The eggs are OK at music but not up to full size speakers standards. They were greatly improved by dropping the Kef sub in favour of the velodyne cht-10. Can't tell you anything about the b&w's as I've never heard them. I'm keeping the eggs for now. If I was starting again it would not be with the eggs or other 'small' speakers for that matter.

4. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have auditioned both speaker packages and can honestly say that the B&W's were far better. However, I suspect a great deal has to do with the fact that the VM1's are about 3 times the size of the eggs, and so probably have a wider frequency range (I no tech expert, so anybody feel free to correct me on this).
    So really the VM1's are IMO a good comprimise between little satellites and 'proper' speakers. Also I felt the AS1 sub integrated far better than the KEF one, but I beleive that KEF have improved their sub on the latest version of the egg package, so best thing to do as always is go and have a listen to both packages and decide which you prefer.

cookie

5. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It just depends on how big you want your speakers.

I had a demo recently and the VM1's sounded far better than the Bose satellites I was comparing them with (the in-store Kef eggs weren't setup at the time). I'm still deciding between them and some Gallo Micro's (sound out of your price range) but I'd definately check out the VM1's before parting with your cash. As mentioned they are bigger than the eggs but they do look quite stylish on the floor stands (£80 a pair)

One thing I would say is that the guy in the store didn't think much to the AS1 sub and suggested better alternatives were available for a similar price.

Good luck.

Lawrence

6. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have the Kef Eggs and my mate has the VM1's , so heard both.
    I was impressed with the VM1's and I hate to say it , they were prolly very slightly better at the huge explosion type movies , were as the eggs are better at the more discreet style of soundtracks. This may have been down to amps as my ol sony aint the best in the world and his Denon was loverly and shiny new ;)
    Niether has a good sub, and to my ears the Kef one ( which is pants at lower volumes) was better than the AS1, although I prefered the AS1 in music mode.
    Neither are as good as full range speakers for stereo.
    As for which one, well I cant really say, its kinda wich one you prefer yourself, neither are gonna disappoint ya
    Laters
    Spooks

7. simon_bai

simon_bai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, they have really been great help with me. So can I just sum up that it is worthwhile to spend the extra £300 and go for the B&W rather than KEF! Please fire more to me if your ears think this is wrong.
    Loz1, please do let me know where did you get the stand for £80 plz?
    Spooky, what Denon is your mate using? 3803? Do you think a Pioneer 811 (or any X11) should do well for the B&W pack?

8. jschoorl

jschoorl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might to wait a couple of weeks. Kef has announced that their famous eggs will be replaced by a complete new version :smashin: http://www.kef.com/reviews/presscenter/pdfs/kht2005.pdf

Jurgen

KHT 2005.2 - HEAR IT AND BE THERE
    Technical improvements to the new KHT2005.2

COMPLETELY NEW UNI-Q ARRAY:

- This now has a twin Neodymium magnet system similar to the Reference UNI-Q array. The compact magnet size releases useful cabinet volume allowing increased LF extension.
    - The array also uses the 19mm Aluminium dome tweeter proven in the Q series to achieve extended bandwidth to 27kHz and pure, open high frequency performance.
    - The array (both LF and HF coils) has also been given Ferrofluid cooling. This increases overall dynamics and reduces distortion levels.
    - The newly designed double flared port reduces port noise and increases the bass output for a more dynamic, cleaner delivery. The port has an internal flare which mirrors the visible external to minimise turbulent air-flow.
    - Low loss capacitors and Air Cored Inductors are also used in critical positions on the dividing network (crossover) to ensure a clean signal path resulting in detailed HF performance.
    - Nickel-plated terminals, able to receive 4mm banana plugs as well as bare cable or spades, are now standard for high quality connections.
    - Cable management on the integral bracket/foot assembly. This ensures a completely discrete cabling option when used on wall mounting.
    - New appealling finish. To complement the most popular TV's and other audio equipment on the market. Also a Black version available.
    - Stands also available with new discrete cable management (cable is inserted underneath the base plate). Also come in the same finishes as the satellites.
    - The satellites are covered by a 5-year manufacturer warranty.

COMPLETELY NEW ACTIVE SUBWOOFER:

-New 10" (250mm) long throw bass driver. Bigger driveer for extension down to 30Hz.
    - Lower extension and reduced group delay is achieved by using a closed box system, also, by removing the port we have eliminated ALL port noise.
    - True 250 Watt (150W RMS) amplifier built in, for fast/clean signal delivery to the driver and a more controlled overall bass response.
    - Variable Phase (for room placement), Frequency (for fine-tuning) and Level (to suit small or large rooms).
    - Music/Cinema switch for convenient listening (saves adjusting the level everytime you change from music to movies).
    - No high level in and outputs. Less complicated set-up.
    - Ground lift facility, for those troublesome environments where ground loops are a problem.
    - Heavily braced cabinet. Rigid construction virtually elliminates box coloration.
    - Rubber isolation system. This works as a spike for absorbing vibrations. It also avoids damage to wooden flooring.
    - Electronics are covered by a 1-year warranty; the passive parts are covered by a 5-year warranty.

----

9. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Simon
    Ask about getting 10% knocked off the vm1s.When i purchased my B&Wasw675subwoofer i asked about getting a discount which i got but you must ask.
    Gonzo.:)

10. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Mate has a Denon 1803, I would reckon that a Pioneer would sound nice with them , but Im biased , Im waiting for a 2011 at the mo ;)
    Laters
    Spooks

11. simon_bai

simon_bai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi spooky, where did you buy your 2011 and how much? if you don't mind me asking. I am thinking about stretch my budget from £300ish to £700ish all along, but just don't know if it is worthwhile or not. I have placed an order at unbeatable, but they keep saying they are waiting for delivery n times 14 days, god knows when can I get it. how about your order, did they tell you how long for the delivery?
    Thamks
    Si

12. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Been waiting for 4+months for my 2011 from, yup youve guessed it, Unbeatable :mad: Oredered mine wif the coupon so gettin it at £650 ish ( thats why Im waiting lol)
    But they "claim" that I should have it start of next month , I aint holding my breath as they told me that last month, and the month before etc
    We shall see.
    If you hvae it on order from em I would give em a phone and find out what number you are, if your in front of me cancel so I can get it sooner ;) . Seriously though get in touch wif em and ask whats going on, seems the only way to get them to phone Pioneer to ask for more amps
    Laters
    Spooks

13. Rollin

Rollin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my kht2005s at the weekend for £550. I knew the new model was coming out but I reckon they'll be nearer £750.

Superfi Manchester was the store.

14. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had my VM1 demo at HIFI Corner in Edinburgh and they quoted £80 for a pair of stands. I assume that is the standard B&W price but if not their number is 0131 220 1535.

Thanks,
    Lawrence

15. F1F3R

F1F3R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi loz1

i just bought the some vm1's with the stands . but they cost me 150 for the stands alone ...