KEF KHT2005.3 possible upgrade?

CJSIMPSON

I have had a set of KEF KHT2005.3 speakers for some time paired with an onkyo608 receiver. We are about to move to a house with a big lounge (23ft x 16ft) so am wondering whether I might feel a big benefit of an upgrade. A couple of questions.

1. Would the eggs do a job in this room?
2. What sort of money/ model of speakers would be a noticeable upgrade?
3. Are there any alternatives?

I am also considering a receiver upgrade as the onkyo is now dated and doesn't have the latest hdmi standards but I'll get that in a separate post (unless anyone has any suggestions for a kit?).

Thanks a lot.

gibbsy

The obvious answer would be for you to try them in your new house. Just putting them roughly in the positions they need to go would give you some indication. The Eggs, for what they are, are indeed very good speakers and will hold their own with their newer counterparts.

Could you upgrade them. Of course you could as they are limited as to what they can achieve. You do really only need to upgrade the front three initially as they are the most important speakers in any home cinema set up. The Eggs could serve as surrounds until they too could be upgraded as funds allow. That was certainly the road I took when I replaced my 3005 Eggs some years ago.

It's difficult to say how much money you would need as there is such a difference in speaker quality and price. It's best if you put up a working budget. As far as an alternative then you would be making perhaps a slight improvement or more likely a sideways move. If you are going to improve your audio experience then make it a decent one that takes strides rather than small steps.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I have had a set of KEF KHT2005.3 speakers for some time paired with an onkyo608 receiver. We are about to move to a house with a big lounge (23ft x 16ft) so am wondering whether I might feel a big benefit of an upgrade. A couple of questions.

1. Would the eggs do a job in this room?
2. What sort of money/ model of speakers would be a noticeable upgrade?
3. Are there any alternatives?

I am also considering a receiver upgrade as the onkyo is now dated and doesn't have the latest hdmi standards but I'll get that in a separate post (unless anyone has any suggestions for a kit?).

Thanks a lot.

If you have spare cash and fancy a new system then for sure go forward cause it would be noticeable upgrade! Not a cheap one though. And i mean going from tiny satellites to full sized hifi speakers.

We could use example the Kef Q range if you have been happy with the brand. Some prefer to go with towers for main speakers but that is often money away from subwoofer which is going to make big difference. The small sub that came with Egg system is going to sound bit underwhelming. There is many ways to proceed with the upgrade. Typically if tight on money wisest would be to upgrade the front three first while using the Eggs as surround channels. Next would new subwoofer. And 600mm speaker stands if you go with "bookshelf" speakers.

There is many alternative options. It really comes down to budget and is there some restrictions with size. Example the Q650c center channel is quite large, but personally i wouldn´t have it any other way in your fairly large room. Wall mounting tv is recommended so you get the center channel (=one of the most active speaker in your system) in good spot top of some unit, front edge of it specifically! Also in good height, not shooting your knees.

So the example i linked would cost roughly 1100£ = 3 speakers and pair of stands for Q350 without discounts which you should get. Then you need subwoofer, it will be minium of around 500£ mark. There is few local options with BK Electronics if you are tight on money. Lot of different real wood veneer finishes and you can even choose driver orientation so the driver won´t be visible (DF) if kids / "needy" wife. These would be bare minium i would consider. Lot´s of options especially if you aren´t afraid of larger boxes. Also comes down how loud you listen, are you looking to get a taste of couch/room shaking bass etc.

So this would be around 1500£ total roughly if you get some discounts, the larger Mono Plus is also available with different amp/driver costing 100£ less so i calculate that.

For new receiver Yamaha RX-V6A or Denon X2700H are basically your only options at this point if looking similar level to your Onkyo which actually should introduce new models soon, but likely bit of late. The prices of receivers are very high atm. Almost forgot to mention if you do buy receiver same time then buy the speakers, stands, receiver from same dealer! You will then get the best pricing. Naturally you can ask prices from as many as you want.

CJSIMPSON

Thanks guys, both really helpful replies.
The problem I have is getting it approved by the missus about the looks so smaller speakers would be preferable. The eggs were just passable but in a bigger room I may get away with a couple of slightly bigger speakers but very unlikely to get floorstanders by her ☹.

We don't have it really loud much other than the occasional film. With the move I'm planning to get a bigger TV too and worried about the sound from the TV with being so far away from the TV, mostly it would be for tv watching.

I don't need it to shake the room but was mainly curious to see what might be broadly comparable these day in terms of sound quality.

I wondered if these would do the job? If I upgraded the receiver first I assume I would see an upgrade and then could potentially do the speakers later starting with the fronts and centre.

I did also consider a soundbar and sub but not sure about that route either, I've never listened to one.

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Soudboard as in soundbar i assume, downgrade from the Eggs. Steer away!

I wouldn´t necessarily say big upgrade with the receiver change to similar level one. Ok the Audussey version is slightly higher on Denon, but that`s about it. Those older 600 Onkyos were fine machines, yours were THX Select 2 Plus certified so not the cheapest. You are mainly paying for the newer features and connections.

Below is a picture of the Q system i linked for you. There is the smaller Q150 and Q250c models too if you (wife) feel these are too large.

p6flr65uiln41.jpg

This is the smaller Q150 + Q250c (front three!) which are also cheaper.

0u14nhgske641.jpg

For the subwoofer if really tight budget then there is one cheaper version which would be ok still, although it´s usually the first thing to be upgraded if one is looking more impact/weight/depth etc. But is it wise to save 100£ for long term...

If you looking something cheaper then QA 3000i range is one of the most popular with rounded cabinets so quite wife friendly. White, walnut, black, grey. But as i said there is lot of options.

Last edited:

CJSIMPSON

Thanks again. I'll take a look at the q acoustics mentioned, the smaller ones may be passable but equally will look at the larger ones as they may look OK in a bigger room. Do they all come with grilles as the open speakers would not be approved by the boss...

My main issue with the receiver is that it doesn't have 4k passthrough. I currently have my xbox series X and sky q connected to the TV and then run an optical cable back to the receiver but I do get the occasional delay issues so was hoping that if I upgraded it would resolve that but not sure.

I have toyed with the idea of a splitter on the hdmi so I can run one to the receiver and keep best quality audio then the other to the TV for vest 0icture but this does worry me as to whether this would add more delay or reduce quality. I know this is a slightly different topic but would help.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks again. I'll take a look at the q acoustics mentioned, the smaller ones may be passable but equally will look at the larger ones as they may look OK in a bigger room. Do they all come with grilles as the open speakers would not be approved by the boss...

My main issue with the receiver is that it doesn't have 4k passthrough. I currently have my xbox series X and sky q connected to the TV and then run an optical cable back to the receiver but I do get the occasional delay issues so was hoping that if I upgraded it would resolve that but not sure.

I have toyed with the idea of a splitter on the hdmi so I can run one to the receiver and keep best quality audio then the other to the TV for vest 0icture but this does worry me as to whether this would add more delay or reduce quality. I know this is a slightly different topic but would help.

No sadly you have to pay for the grilles with Kef. Black grilles for about 30£/pair is available. For others you get the grilles with them. For sure the Q350 would be more ideal with the larger room over Q150 and especially the larger Q650 center channel. Check some youtube videos of both so you get better sense of the size and show them to wife aswell, that is if you can´t visit the store. Why i mentioned the Q range in first place was cause quite many members have moved from Eggs to Q range, i would say quite natural path if you like the brand.

There is also the soon to be discontinued B&W 606 and center channel available. S2 version came while ago. I would say with these you should get further discount if you buy them with receiver. If you have local Richer Sounds near you, maybe visit there and ask to listen B&W 606 S2 which should be very similar to this "older" and KEF Q350 side by side if intrested. That is the only way to know which sound you prefer. No need to buy anything at the first visit. These 606s went 379£ earlier so there is some air still. Only black finish available.

It`s this system reviewed in 2019: Bowers & Wilkins 600 Series Speaker Review

The delay thing sounds bit odd. Perhaps you should make a new thread here and describe it so the guys might be able to help. It would be lot of money saved if you could keep using the Onkyo.

CJSIMPSON

Thanks very much. Appreciate the advice. I will certainly get some advice in another thread about the delay and will read up these other alternatives.

Desertwanderer

Novice Member
In case the OP is still pondering, or anyone else is considering the same.... I went through the same change as recommended above recently. Upgrade from Kef Egg 2005.3 and Onkyo TRxnr 616. First i upgraded the receiver to Marantz and the front 3 speakers to Kef Q350 and Kef Q250C, the 650C was just too much sizewise. This resulted in a much clearer and more dynamic sound within the lounge area, however it did then show up the Kef Kube 1 sub and i ended up replacing that with an SVS SB1000 pro which made a huge difference. Overall im very very happy with the changes and my satellite 2001s are happily working well in the set up and i feel no need to replace.

Attachments

• IMG_8383.jpg
    IMG_8383.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 8

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom