Kef KHT2005.2 or MS Genies?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by milesr3, Jan 2, 2007.

1. milesr3

milesr3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Folks,

I am looking to upgrade my speakers from a set of Tannoy FX5.1. I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 540R amp.

I can get Kef 2005.2 locally for £449 or Mordaunt Short Genies for £499 (Richer Sounds / Audiovision).

What do you recommend? The system is used predominantly for 5.1 DVD/TV viewing with very occasional prologic II music.

Or anything else out there I should be considering? (I've already dismissed Celestion AVP305 for £349 in favour of the Kefs for an extra £100).

milesr3

2. DISCODV

DISCODV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have heard both side by side and I found the Genies to sound better. There was a significant difference between the Centre and Sub.

3. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    i have the kef 1005's and am very happy, never heard the genies, but have the 2000's 200's didnt offer me much over the 1000's sp went for them due to cost.

however i prefer the looks of the genies, i think the design has aged better. and if you get em with the ms 309 sub like i have ;) its a great sub especially compared to the kefs

4. ykhan16

ykhan16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The extra £50 for the genies is well worth it! I would also say they sound better plus they look fantastic. (Not a big fan of the Kef's design)

Get the genies in black if you can- with the front grill's off they look simply stunning!! :thumbsup:

5. milesr3

milesr3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Ah well. Too late - got the Kefs now! Haven't had time to install them yet, but I'm sure they'll be a step up from the Tannoy FX5.1s.

Sad to say that one thing that did influence me with the Kefs was the fact that I wouldn't have been able to use the genies without the grilles on due to having inquisitive small children and it would have been a matter when rather than if the drive units were damaged.

Edit: also have to say that the Kefs looked much better build quality wise FWIW.

6. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    just to rub the salt in ;)

the genies have a lovly strong metal driver! sure they could cope with some proding ;)

anyways get em setup and enjoy, sure you wont regret it once theyre on anyhow! :thumbsup: