1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF KHT2005.2 "egg" rears and no subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by funkin, Dec 10, 2003.

1. funkin

funkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

After a bit of re-arranging in our living room, I'm in the market to buy a pair of relatively small rear speakers to go with my setup. At the front I currently have... 2x B&W DM603 S2 floorstanders and a B&W LCR6 S2 center speaker.

Before we moved things around I had a pair of B&W DM601 S2's as rear speakers but with our sofa up against the wall and how things are now, they're just too big.

I've not mentioned anything about a sub yet as I don't have one. Living in a little terraced house we (and no doubt our neighbours) have lived with this setup for a few years happily without one.

Now I want to get a couple of small rear speakers and I was tempted by the B&W LM1's but they're still on the large side. I've now spent a while looking at the Kef "eggs" and like what I see.

However, as we've not got a sub, are they still going to make those explosions in the bond movies on dvd still sound great or do I really have to go and get a pair of big rears or buy a little sub and hope the neighbours don't notice ;)

Any help and advice greatfully received.

2. grahammackie

grahammackie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just replaced my DM 603/601/CC combination with four Keg Eggs and a PSW3000 sub. My Q9c is on order.

Without the subs the deep bass is obviously not there but I am suprised by the quality of the bass they do give.

My 603's handled bass very well so I am not sure that a small sub would be all that different (assuming LFE is set to main only) However wouldn't worry about the neghbours as I am sure they would be able to tell the difference with a sub tucked away in the corner.

3. funkin

funkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I've just ordered a couple of the MK2 "eggs" and I'll see how I get on with them. Hopefully they'll arrive this weekend.

4. tekmonkey

tekmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could i just suggest new Monitor Audio Radius speakers, heard them yesterday @ local 7oaks, demoing projs, V.impressed, didn't buy cos I've got SS150s but they are genuinely tempting, and so pwetty!

Call me a bit old fashioned but Monitor Audio are far more british than KEF, not sure how that makes sense but you see where I'm going.

5. funkin

funkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion tekmonkey. I took a look at the Monitor Audio site and they're a good little size, but after looking again at the Kef's I really like the styling in that they don't look like little box speakers! I guess its just a matter of personal taste.

Well, I picked up a pair of MK2's yesterday along with the Kef speaker stands and my early impressions are really good. The stands seem fine (I'm sure I read some bad comments about them) but they seem fine and with the wires hidden inside the stand, it looks really smart.

Now I'm just waiting for the new TV to arrive.