Kef KHT2005.2 Center Channel Upgrade

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by iclarke, Jan 1, 2007.

1. iclarke

iclarke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

Any recommendations for the above as I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this :)

Have been pretty happy with the standard setup (jncluding 6th Egg for the center rear channel) but always felt the front center channel was lacking much impact especially in movies or when watching TV. I'm about to relocate the center speaker from the top of the TV to the top shelf of the AV rack (LCD TV coming soon hopefully!) and I think this is going make it sound even weaker.

I may also want to consider replacing the two front effect speakers with 'proper' floorstanding speakers at some point in the future so any advice on this would also be handy.

Thanks in advance
    Ian.

2. mistrip

mistrip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I think this has been asked a few times. But the general opinion seems to be another speaker from the kef range like the IQ? (something, can't remember the number?) or the centre from the 3005's or the 5000s.

Also try changing the crossover to about 110Hz and upping the centre channel volume a few dB.

3. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Yep

Lots of posts on this.

I talked to KEF direct about it a year or two back. They recommended best tonal match was to use something from KHT range.

Some have sucessfully used iQ6C ad 9C but very different beasts to KHT range.

4. gasman1

gasman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    If you're going to get floorstanders anyway, go iQ2c or iQ6c, then then the iQ5's or iQ7's for your floorstanders. Hope you've got plenty of cash, it seems upgraditis cause wallet haemorrhage.