Kef KHT2005.2, B&W MT-20, Mission M-Cube, Tannoy Arena Comparison

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by N9ne, Mar 26, 2006.

1. N9ne

N9ne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    These are four packages that fit my budget. What I will use them for:

- I will connect the speakers to a Denon AVR-1906 AV Receiver. I will connect my PC's soundcard to the receiver via a digital optical cable. I rip my CDs to very high quality FLAC files to store on my hard drive (for convenience). Therefore I will be listening to music on them in this way.

- I will be using an Oppo DivX/DVD Player to watch films and will route the sound through the AV Receiver to these speakers. I watch all kinds of films, which have a range of sounds, so a good set of speakers is needed. I'm also an audiophile and need good quality.

My room is 4x4 metres with a wooden floor.

With this information, which package is best for me? Ideally I'm looking for a package that is very good with music AND movies. Also, if there are any other packages below £1,500 which are even better, please do suggest them.

Finally, I would also be grateful if you could link me to an online retailer which may sell them. I think the Kefs can't be sold online, but there's a Super-fi shop near me, so that's not a problem.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice. This place is a great resource!

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I can't believe how many peope out there are willing to just jump in and buy equipment without listening to it, usually for the sake of saving a few quid.

Shortlist a few likely products within your budget then go to a dealer and book a demonstration. Listen for yourself and decide what you think sounds best.

This post again highlights the continual need for and yet total undervaluation of proper hi-fi dealer with shops and demo facilities.

3. gnasher666

gnasher666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have auditioned all the speakers you have mentioned and more. IMHO I would look and listen to the KEF KHT 3005s They were the best all round speakers I've listened to.

I would personally say out of the ones you have listed the B&Ws sound better for movies when compared with the Tannoy Arenas which sounded better for music.

Although the KEFs 3005 best both those speakers in both movies and music.

The KEF 2005s you mention are not, price wise atleast, comparable with the others as the now sale for £599. I haven't auditioned the 2005.2 but did have in my old set-up the original 2005s and they were great.

4. N9ne

N9ne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh don't get me wrong, I am definitely going to audition them. We're talking a lot of money. However, I'd like opinions on here too, so I go to the audition more informed. At the moment I'm fairly new to these packages so I'm trying to gather information at this stage.

gnasher: do you have links to any reviews of the Kef KHT3005 package? I can't seem to find any. I can't find prices/sellers either. Ideally I'd like to keep around £1000 which the Tannoy Arena package fits perfectly, so if the KHT3005 is much more expensive, I'd prefer the Tannoys. How's the Tannoy Arena package with movies? Although it's not as good as the B&Ws, is the sound still very good?