• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

kef KHT2005.2 and neighbour friendly replacement

Lexic

Hi. I've had Kef KHT2005 egg speakers packed away for the last 12 months while I lived with my girlfriend. We have bought our first house together and on the second night in the new home I got my priorities right and set the L, R, and C speakers up to the TV. Less than 3 hours later i had the neighbours banging on the wall. Now i like to think I'm quite considerate and I am seriously considering admitting defeat and 'downgrading'. After all I hadn't even plugged the sub and surrounds in! So two questions, what can I hope to get for silver 2-3year old Kef eggs and what neighbour friendly suggestions does anyone have? I saw the Q-Acoustics Q-TV2 and thought that looked quite good but with a sub on the back of the TV I though that even might be too near the adjoining wall with the neighbours. Any thoughts much appreciated.

steeevo1

hi there, theres not a lot you can do , any type of speaker is going to resonate through to next door , and the sub woofer sound would resonate even more, dependant on cost and how far you want to go , there is a new plasterboard available that has very good sound proofing abilities, its the same thickness as normal plasterboard but is equivelant to 9 sheets of plasterboard on the wall, so depending on wall size and your diy competance it may be an answer
steve

Hi. I've had Kef KHT2005 egg speakers packed away for the last 12 months while I lived with my girlfriend. We have bought our first house together and on the second night in the new home I got my priorities right and set the L, R, and C speakers up to the TV. Less than 3 hours later i had the neighbours banging on the wall. Now i like to think I'm quite considerate and I am seriously considering admitting defeat and 'downgrading'. After all I hadn't even plugged the sub and surrounds in! So two questions, what can I hope to get for silver 2-3year old Kef eggs and what neighbour friendly suggestions does anyone have? I saw the Q-Acoustics Q-TV2 and thought that looked quite good but with a sub on the back of the TV I though that even might be too near the adjoining wall with the neighbours. Any thoughts much appreciated.

V6CMG

Dont go admitting defeat ask your neighbour if you can listen when your sytem is on because some peeps just bang on walls because they dont have anything else to do first(how old are they because they might switch there volume down just to moan) i live in a flat 2nd floor iam one of the younger ones & iam 45 lol they have said they can ear some one have a **** on the loo now you must be listening for that lol

Carl

I realise not all houses are built the same but I live in a one year old semi so presumably the walls are not 3 feet thick.

I play my system quite loud when watching films and my neighbours have never mentioned it, let alone moaned or even banged on walls.

Just tell them, that you want to "work" with them towards a solution and would like to hear the extent of the problem yourself - From their living room.

You can then work out whether it is a genuine problem or perhaps they are just neighbours from hell.:devil:

Lexic

Hi all thanks for replies. Yep they're older folk and lived in their house 30years so they tell me. They actually asked me if I'd be having lots of Parties and I'm 40 ***! They seem nice to fair and I'm not in the habit of annoying people for the sake of it so shall watch the sound level but it was very disheartening to have waited so long to get the speakers out and then have the wall banged on. I'm not sure the plasterboard option would work for me as my DIY skills only extend to using a paintbrush. I haven't fixed the speakers to the walls so that must help slightly.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom