1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF KHT 2005 or Def Tech's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Leeray3, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Leeray3

Leeray3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    IM wondering if anyone can help me. I am looking to buy the Denon AVR-3801 or the AVR-3802 when it is released. I have heard excellent reviews for the Denon and have finally decided that this is the amp for me.

The problem I have is the speakers to go with it. I have narrowed it down to two packages. The first is the Def Tech's Pro 80 system which has good reviews and is very small (wife has insisted on small speakers that are barely noticeable) and the second is the KEF KHT 2005 home cinema system, which again is very discreet and has been highly recommended everywhere.

Does anyone out their have a recommendation for me?
    Which of these two systems combined with the denon would sound the best? Or does anyone else have any other preferences? I would like the speaker output to match the amps output though!
    I have looked at M&K's K-series but my budget will not allow for them, so these are not an option, a grand is the absolute tops.

I would be using the system mainly for movies say 70% movies 30% music.

Should I save the extra cash and buy the KEF package or splash out the extra few quid for the Def Techs?

Cheers

Lee :confused:

2. daveaphillips

daveaphillips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lee,

Personally I would go for the Def Tec Package, as it seems to me to have more impact and detail on HC than the KEF package, and is also great for music. However the KEF package is also brilliant for HC and especially good on music for the money.

The best thing to do is always listen to the package first to make sure you are happy with the sound before you buy! Pop down to your local dealer, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to compare the two, and you will be able to judge for yourself!

Best of luck choosing,

3. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Whilst small, the KEFs are surprisingly undiscreet. In fact because of their design they are very noticable.
    It is very hard to ignore what looks like cyclops peering out from the top of your tele
    ;)
    Of course this will be to some folks taste - if you like modern design for example - but if you are looking for something to blend into the background then they might not fit the bill.

I love em. But then they match their surroundings. But my wife thinks they look like eyes watching her, and every visitor quickly notices them.
    So they fail on the discreet front - if discreet is what you really meant.