1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF KHT-2005.2 + yamaha receiver

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by micks_address, Apr 28, 2004.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi folks,

I'm contemplating upgrading my lowly sony entry level pascal speakers and receiver to the keff egs and with either the yamaha 640 or 740 receiver. There doesn't seem to be much difference between the two receivers with the 740 having a bit more in the channel output.

Questions are these.

Will the pairing be a good one? The eggs and the yamaha ?
    I want the egss for movies (i know there's a lot of negative comment about them for music)

What price would i be expected to pay?

Looking at new sets at krishav.co.uk - 599 for the eggs and 319 for the 640 or 359 for the 740. Does it seem like a reasonable price? I'm based in dublin but they said they'll ship over here

Any opinons appreciated

Cheers,
    Mick

2. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What, bad comments on music?
    They're mad...
    Sure, play them very loud and they may sound a bit compressed, but have you EVER heard this rock steady stereo soundscape from just two speakers and a sub?
    Try listening to Norah Jones on SACD or Diana Krall on DVD-Audio, what a delight on 5.1...
    Besides, KEF remedied the rather accented and a bit tiring mids in the .2 versions, and reworked the sub into much drier bass.
    Got Reference 203's + 202c fronts now, sure they sound better but look at the price!
    Good luck
    Barend

3. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Quick question on the yamaha's - does anyone know what inputs they have? I'd be after at least 2 optical inputs and 1 coaxial input.. From the specs on the yamaha site it doesnt seem to mention

Cheers,
    Mick

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Forum sponsors av-land always detail the connectivity of amps on their website. The Yamaha DSP AX640 is featured here and the table accompanying it shows it to have 4 optical plus 1 coaxial input

5. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    They're a good mix - I listened to the Yam 640 and eggs a couple of months ago, and would have been happy with them in my living room.

In the end I went for a Denon 1804 because I felt that it did a better job handling music, and the missus 'preferred' the sound (she's a musician, so who am I to argue).

I'm suprised that you managed to find someone that would ship the eggs to you in Dublin. Kef are quite restrictive about mail/ phone/ internet ordering of eggs, and several folks on these forums iwho live n Ireland have had problems finding a company that will deliver. Useful info for anyone else wanting to mail-order Kef stuff!

Sounds like a good price though!

Balders.

6. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Thanks for the reply folks - just wondering now whether i should go for the 640 or the 740... i had a look here

http://www.hificomponents.de

they have both at a good price but the 740 is only listed as being available in black... would like silver to match my dvd player and the eggs :(
    Cheers,
    Mick

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Get the 640 (in the colour you prefer) - more than good enough for the Eggs.

8. antomack

antomack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was in touch with KrishAV about the eggs and shipping them to Dublin, they are pretty expensive for delivery, quoted me £65 which is almost €100 about twice the delivery cost from German suppliers although hard to find one selling at the same price.

Had found a German site a week or so ago selling them for €800 but they have since taken them off their site, delivery with them had been €46 but was just too slow off the mark.

9. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    yeah its a bit steep automak but the best price i can get... if anyone knows a better price please feel free to shout!

Cheers,
    Mick

10. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi folks - change of plan - the budget is too tight for the kef's :( so i've been researching the mordaunt premier plus set or the mission fs_av2 set paired with the marantz SR4400 receiver. Any advice on which to go for and if the reciever is up to the job?

Cheers,
    Mick