KEF KHT 1005 - Any good?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by VirginNeedsHelp, Jan 2, 2007.

1. VirginNeedsHelp

VirginNeedsHelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for a set of cheap speakers to go with my Sony STR DA1200ES, these look value for money, any one test driven these yet

Thanks

2. Keith Lynn

Keith Lynn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Virgin...

I have read a great deal on these budget speakers & they are very good for the money... However If you have a Sony 1200, then are you better off going for the higher spec KHT 2005, which can handle up to 100W per speaker...

:)

3. VirginNeedsHelp

VirginNeedsHelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Keith, it all comes down to budget, the KEF 1005 are around £300 and the 2005 are £600 :( The wife is already going made :nono:

Any feedback on Tannoy EFX5.1 AV Speaker Package, this is about £250 :lease:

4. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    id defo recomend the 1005's i have them and have no intention of upgrading/replacing.

very well made! have just been voted what hifi best styles speakers under £500 2006, personally i feel the 2005's have aged worst looks wise.

for the record they are also rated at 100w each.

go for em ;)

ps you will be shocked when you pick em up over how heavy and solid they are for such a small speaker.

5. VirginNeedsHelp

VirginNeedsHelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks Daddy

Any pointers on where to get them CHEAP ! and does anyone know a good divorce lawyer ! :eek:

6. martind69

martind69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    You could try Sevenoaks, they have the 2005's for £449

http://www.ssav.com/product.asp?id=13835

I would think these are better suited to the amp that you have.

Or if you live in the north west you could try Practical HiFi, they are doing the 1005's for £250.

Hope this helps

Martin

7. VirginNeedsHelp

VirginNeedsHelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Arrgghh, only £450 it does seem a good idea for the extra £150, she will kill me !! :eek:

8. sparklymarkly

sparklymarkly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am also considering the 1005s as they get great reviews and look great, but also noticed your query re the Tannoy EFXs. I've already posted looking for comments on these, but not received anything so far. I don't think they look as good as the KEFs, but if you fancy them, I found the best deal around was £219.95 including delivery and a free pair of stands worth £42. Hope this helps.

9. VirginNeedsHelp

VirginNeedsHelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

OK I've done the deed, thanks to Martin I managed to get the KEF 2005 at £450, wasn't going to pay the £600 when the 1005 are £300, but at £450 (and they have a built in wall mount) they are a bargin, picking them and the Sony STR DA1200 ES up on Friday so expect me here on Saturday asking what I have done wrong !

Thanks guys:thumbsup:

10. Joni Chimpo

Joni Chimpo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let us know how you get on with the speakers and amp once its all up and running. Im about to buy my first systema and im stuck between either the denon avr1907 or the Sony STR-DA1200 amps and the MS Genie or KEF KHT2005 speaker packages.

Where did you get the Kef's from?

Cheers

11. Fuzznuts

Fuzznuts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought the STR-DA1200ES and Genies Yesterday I am VERY happy with the Combo with less than perfect placement (Read on the Floor all over the place will wall mount at the weekend) and Not setup with the db Meter etc They sound fantastic. Very Happy and I'm sure with a little bit of attention over the weekend the combo will only sounds better.

Unfortunately it was late when i got it set up so i couldnt try any great loudness out of respect for the neighbours but even at moderate volumes its a wicked combo :)

12. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    they need a good run in too!

did you get the ms sub? which version?

iv had mine on in the day and stuff for past week at a decent enough volume to make it move lol, get it running in

13. Fuzznuts

Fuzznuts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I did get the MS sub its the 409 not really set it up yet and volume was low but it hit hard for a 10" when I heard it on demo :p

I heard the KEF's 2005.2 and the Genies Side By Side and Just prefered the Genies, the KEF's were by no means bad I just prefered the sound of the Genies and got them for £500 notes which was a bit of a billy bonus :)

Just need Saturday to come so everything can stretch it legs :)

14. VirginNeedsHelp

VirginNeedsHelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sevenoaks sound and vision, special offer at the mo at £450, can't wait to get the babies hooked up !:smashin:

15. VirginNeedsHelp

VirginNeedsHelp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, KEFF's came yesterday and already have them on the wall :clap: Sony STR DA1200 is now in my boot waiting to be hooked up :D

But

Someone please tell me why the plug lead on the Sub for my Keff 2005.2 is a 2 pin plug :(

16. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    What do mean a 2 pin plug? Should be an RCA connection. What were you expecting?

17. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    im assuming you mean the power lead?
    if yes its normal kettle lead, albeit with no earth pin i think

god knows just know im using the same lead from my kef as i am my MS309, and i looked at the sub connection and thought does it require a 2 pin? bit it doesnt, the 3 pin kettle type fits in

18. milesr3

milesr3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I picked up a set of 2005.2 on Wednesday (also for £450 from a local Hughes) and the sub came with both a 3-pin UK and 2-pin European mains lead. The packaging had a sticker on it indicating it was a European 220V setup rather than 240V UK and I was getting all ready for an argument with the retailer, but the dual-voltage selector switch on the sub was marked 230V and the 3-pin plug obviously fits fine. I assumed they now do a 230V UK/European version and a 110V US version based on a common power supply rather than 3 different varients.

Is there not a 3-pin UK plug lead in your box as well?

Have to say I'm really impressed with them so far. The amount of detail in the sound is incredible, everything if listened to before sounds different. They're a real step up from what I had before (Tannoy FX5.1). I couldn't decide between the eggs and genies and in the end the build quality of the eggs swung it for me.

milesr3

19. Joni Chimpo

Joni Chimpo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fuzzuts, where did you get your Genies from?