Kef KGT2005.2 Sub Problems - Please help

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by djtex, Oct 24, 2005.

1. djtex

djtex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just bought the Kef KHT 2005.2 speaker system, and am having a few problems. I am using an Yamaha A5 as my amplifier/processor.

I have wired it all up correctly and the little eggs sound great, however I don't know whether my expectations are too high but I can barely hear anything from the Subwoofer at all. This is surprising as I have ensured I have done the following....

* Amp set to small speakers and Bass channelled to Sub only.
    * Connected Subwoofer cable to the left input on the sub.
    * Have crossover set to max, and the input.
    * Tried it in different positions with different films.
    * Tried playing the same loud part with the sub on and then off with no audible difference.

The Phase knob doesn't seem to do much, the unit just seems to emit a humming noise which in quite sections you can hear alongside the film.

I have tried touching the speaker when working and it is vibrating, but not much.

Please can anyone offer any advice, it's driving me up the wall, I'm starting to think the sub doesn't work properly.

Many thanks in advance.

2. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Not sure about the Yamaha set ups but have you set the amp to include the subwoofer?

Some amps there is a setting that tells it there is a sub 'present' or something like that.

Or is the amp's sub volume control turned up?

Just a few basic things that we can all (inlcuding myself) overlook sometimes!!!

3. djtex

djtex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply, yes I have the bass set to route to the Sub and also have it at the highest level.

Cheers anyway.

4. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I had a similar thing with my recently purchased Kef 2005.2 system. Thought the sub was faulty but one day it suddenly woke up. Bit strange really as I never did anything to 'wake' it up.

Hope you get your working.

5. djtex

djtex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds intriguing, hopefully mine will do the same, I will speak to the shop tomorrow though as a precaution.

6. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dude,

I have the same system.

The 2005.2's sub - PSW2010 (from memory) has a known fault. And a pretty fundamental one at that, apparently.

Mine went on the blink once - and my brother's twice - and turns out that this is known well. Even on the forums here, it was happening a lot. And my brother's one was only a few month's old.

However - the problem must've gotten pretty big - because Sevenoaks Sound & Vision just sorted mine and my brother's for free - and mine was not even bought from them, and out of warranty!! I imagine KEF have just implemented a 'zero customer dissatisfaction' policy - and are paying for shops such as those to be able to offer such a facility. But serious compliments to Sevenoaks for life-saving service - my own shop (little High Street one) wouldn't look at it for free as it was out of warranty. And then they wonder why the big chains take over.

KEF are apparently themselves known for excellent customer service too - and will sort this sub for you no questions.

I thought that they'd 'repair' my unit - but when I got it back - the entire amp-plate thing was changed! New - not repaired!

So - no stressing - and certainly don't 'live' with it - even if it does just pop into life. It's a dud unit - get KEF to sort it!

Good luck - and p.s. you most certainly will not have to 'wonder' whether or not that unit is working or not - it's a beaut and very powerful.