KEF KC62 Subwoofer Owners Thread

PatSurf70

Novice Member
Anyone able to tell if what issues are fixed after the upgrade of the KEF LS50W2 firmware (now 1.6) and app update?

PascalF

Anyone able to tell if what issues are fixed after the upgrade of the KEF LS50W2 firmware (now 1.6) and app update?
Here is a link to the release notes:

What i found most interesting is the they allow for a lag-compensation when using the wireless KW 1 adapter (good thinking). I also like the volume limiting (prior to this feature i put my speakers on a separate network to avoid kids turning them to the max when messing around).
What also is interesting - and which might be a work around for the KC62 wakeup issues, is the EQ settings from the app.

App release notes:

Last edited:

PatSurf70

Novice Member
Anyone has still wakeup issues with LS50W2&KC62 after the new 1.6 software update with KC62 EQ settings? Interested if the software update fixes this issue...

PascalF

I will order my kc62 today and expect it to be deliverd at home in the second week of may (probably the new production batch) I’ll be testing it with a set of ls50w2..

JohnnyZeroSix

Standard Member
I will order my kc62 today and expect it to be deliverd at home in the second week of may (probably the new production batch) I’ll be testing it with a set of ls50w2..
Remember that it takes 2-3 days to "kick in" whereupon it becomes significantly more musical. Surprised me quite a bit.

D

Deleted member 876780

I'm considering purchasing one of these... however noted (see picture) is that real AC power consumption? I mean that's incredible, I would need to add up all the others items plugged in if that is genuine... my av amp is om the same socket haha...

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210420-082016_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210420-082016_Chrome.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 64

PascalF

I'm considering purchasing one of these... however noted (see picture) is that real AC power consumption? I mean that's incredible, I would need to add up all the others items plugged in if that is genuine... my av amp is om the same socket haha...
Not sure - i guess other members will be able to tell you. Failing that: i will get my kc62 in 2-3 weeks from now and will be more than happy to measure power consumption (also to ensure that no unnecessary power usage happens - if so, i generally put a remote controllable power switch in between).

hamzamian

Given it has a 1000W amplifier in it, I'd guess that's its peak power usage. I'd expect its significantly lower than that most of the time.

JohnnyZeroSix

Standard Member
My PS Stellar 300W mains regenerator couldn’t handle it when bass signals went through one of them. Had to put it back on a normal socket.

D

Deleted member 876780

Thank you all. I have a 13A supply to my AV receiver, TV and all the input sources. On this basis, if I purchase either the KC62 (1000W) or the SVS Micro (800W), I will need to run the power lead to another supply socket.
In my opinion, this is a very important safety point to raise to everyone, people expect their AV receiver or maybe a multi channel power amp to need a few calculations and checks for current draw etc. I do not think (I certainly don't) people expect to do this for a subwoofer ;o)
To think that my Denon receiver competently (in my opinion) powers 9 channels with a 710W power supply, then these two subwoofers must be frickin' awesome!

hamzamian

Thank you all. I have a 13A supply to my AV receiver, TV and all the input sources. On this basis, if I purchase either the KC62 (1000W) or the SVS Micro (800W), I will need to run the power lead to another supply socket.
In my opinion, this is a very important safety point to raise to everyone, people expect their AV receiver or maybe a multi channel power amp to need a few calculations and checks for current draw etc. I do not think (I certainly don't) people expect to do this for a subwoofer ;o)
To think that my Denon receiver competently (in my opinion) powers 9 channels with a 710W power supply, then these two subwoofers must be frickin' awesome!
I don't think so.

A 13A fused socket can supply a maximum of about 3000W so should handle both your sub and receiver. Also bear in mind that 1000W and 710W ratings are peak power and will only be drawn for very short periods of time (and only if you're running at high volumes) so won't result in heating of the mains cabling.

D

Deleted member 876780

@hamzamian I guess you were right and I was wrong... I've done the sums and assuming this is peak load, then with all my other equipment it would be just over 2200W. So, just under 10A based on the 230V that my wifi sockets report as the voltage.
My only point is that means I'm okay... but to some geezer who has two KC62s, a separate pre and power amps in 9.1.6 and all other equipment, they could end up watching the beginning scene of Saving Private Ryan with sound and smell effects!

PascalF

Has anyone else had problem with the KC62 wake up. I have mine connected to Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 from sub out to LFE. Volume on the KC62 is in the middle and gain on the Lyngdorf is at 0. When watching tv it does not wake up at all and from Roon I can wake it with some really bass heavy songs. But most songs won’t wake it.
Hi,

Just curious to know whether you received any response from Kef on this issue?

SpammyAV

Just received mine, everything is updated. I also ran into the standby issues and tried different RCA cables and app settings. I have it hooked up to my LS50W2 and I tried playing a song at a little under 40 volume in the app and it didn't wake up, then I played the same song with the volume over 40, and it finally woke up. It seems like this subwoofer might be unusable with lower volumes?

Is anyone else who is running into this issue listening at "lower volumes"?

PascalF

Just received mine, everything is updated. I also ran into the standby issues and tried different RCA cables and app settings. I have it hooked up to my LS50W2 and I tried playing a song at a little under 40 volume in the app and it didn't wake up, then I played the same song with the volume over 40, and it finally woke up. It seems like this subwoofer might be unusable with lower volumes?

Did you set the sub settings at the recommended ones as mentioned in the kef app?

SpammyAV

Did you set the sub settings at the recommended ones as mentioned in the kef app?
I tried the recommended setting with the 75% volume on the knob on the sub and 5 on the sub volume slider in the app, then I tried custom settings with 10 on the sub volume slider in the app and 25% volume on the knob, then I tried just default settings with no eq on the app. All of these still went into standby.

The only way I can get it to stay on is when the volume is >40 for the LS50W2 on the app. I have it as my desktop speakers so that volume is borderline uncomfortable to listen at. I bought direct from KEF US and contacted them about it. I asked if this low volume/standby issue is just a design flaw or if I have a defective one. If it is just a design flaw, I will ask for a refund, but I really like the sound of it and hope the one I got was a lemon.

PascalF

I tried the recommended setting with the 75% volume on the knob on the sub and 5 on the sub volume slider in the app, then I tried custom settings with 10 on the sub volume slider in the app and 25% volume on the knob, then I tried just default settings with no eq on the app. All of these still went into standby.

The only way I can get it to stay on is when the volume is >40 for the LS50W2 on the app. I have it as my desktop speakers so that volume is borderline uncomfortable to listen at. I bought direct from KEF US and contacted them about it. I asked if this low volume/standby issue is just a design flaw or if I have a defective one. If it is just a design flaw, I will ask for a refund, but I really like the sound of it and hope the one I got was a lemon.

The wake up issue is not an isolated case - other users have reported similar problems when not connected to LS50W2's. You are the first that explicitly mentions a problems with the KC62 connected to LS50w2's.

I have compiled a list which can be found here >> link to kc62 issues <<. If there is no objection from your side i will add you too.

Kef should be aware of this list with issues as i have repeatedly mailed them about it. So far Kef have not been really responsive - but as you are in the US they might be a bit more sensible in providing decent customer support.

I don't know if you have a lemon, but i do know that Kef has a second production batch/run where they fixed the sub out polarity issue - you might want to check with Kef support about this.
I will get my kc62 in two weeks from now (second production run) and connect them with the LS50w2's and report back to all of you. I'll check on the both the wired as well as the wireless setup (using the KW1 wireless transmitter/receiver).

Note: i'm based in the Netherlands.

Last edited:

PascalF

Regarding polarity check - does anyone have experience with either of these two apps:

Android:

IOS:

What i intent to do is to connect the KC62 sub out to my old sony sub and run the app with the specified sound in order to determine a polarity issue.
In addition i will aks Kef to confirm this based on the serial number.

Last edited:

PascalF

Note that Kef indicated the following when reporting these kind of issues:

Please note that the KC62 Subwoofer will start. However, the subwoofer may not immediately come out of standby if the low frequency signal level is very low. In this instance, it would be beneficial for us to have further evidence of the issue, such as a short video of the issue (i.e. the TV turning on, but without waking up the KC62) and the way the equipment is set up and set, so that we can further investigate the problem.

PascalF

Hi - your case is not an isolated one - a dutch user reported the same issue when connected to the LS50w2's (connected to left speaker - LFE). The KC62 would not come out of standby until the volume of the LS50 was pushed past 38..

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett