KEF iQ90's low end help needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sotiris, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Sotiris

Sotiris
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Now all this time, I thought it was my Denon 2311 being faulty, and not outputting bass, but I've had the amp looked at by Denon themselves, and they've confirmed there is no issue with the amp. I've also had my amp tested on other speakers by the store that I bought the amp and speakers from, and they say it it has normal bass (I was not there to listen unfortunately).

So, I've tested my old Onkyo amp on these speakers, and it too doesn't make my speakers sound good. The sound is very detailed on both amps, don't get me wrong, but the bass level doesn't match the treble that is coming out of the speakers in terms of levels. So it just all sounds tinny. How can I force my Denon 2311 amp to go lower? I've got it set to LARGE for the floorstanders, and the sub is set to none (as I don't have a sub...yet). The crossover frequency setting makes no difference as there is no sub active. I cannot find a bass override setting anywhere...

Any ideas would be most helpful.

Cheers

Sotiris.

2. Jota180

Jota180

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I take it you've checked they're wired correctly to the speakers? Sounds simple but a friend complained of zero bass in his speakers. On checking his wiring he had one wired the wrong way.

3. Sotiris

Sotiris
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey

No the polarity is correct, I've checked and double checked. I'm following the set up of having the cables coming from the amp going into the LF connectors of the speakers, and then with a jumper connector it connects to the HF connector of the speaker. This is how the KEF manual recommends it to be done, though I know there are other alternatives (bi-wiring/amping), which I have tried and it sounds no different.

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Make ABSOLUTELY INDISPUTABLY sure that the speaker are wired correctly - Amp(+) to Speaker(+). Nothing will suck the life out of a speaker like it being wired wrong.

Next, if the speakers have FOUR terminals on the back, then you need to make sure the Jumper Bars between the LF(+) and the HF(+) and the LF(-) and the HF(-) are in place and making contact. Don't just glance at them, make absolutely sure the jumpers are actually making contact.

Next, make absolutely sure you have run the amp setup and that the speakers are configured properly. For example, if you set the amp treat the speakers as SMALL, then it is diverting the bass to the Subwoofer. If you don't have a Subwoofer, that means ... no bass.

Though you say the Amp is set to LARGE, it is definitely worth verifying. Also, have you actually run the amp Setup procedure? In the Setup process, you will be able to tell the amp that you do not have a sub, and it will configure accordingly. Running Setup is essential.

You need to confirm to us that you have indeed run Setup and that the results make sense relative to the equipment you have.

Steve/bluewizard

5. Sotiris

Sotiris
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the info. I double checked the jumper connections, and they are absolutely fine. Anyway, last night there was progress..

I managed to get bass to come out of my speakers! Ok, so here's what I did. It was a combination of info from batpigworld and believe it or not the denon manual. When set to stereo, you get the option of Tone control (which I've never seen before), and set the bass to +6db. This started to make a difference. The bass cones on the iQ90's now started to do something. Then I went further and set multi EQ to manual, and edited the frequency bands, so i boosted the 63Hz band to +6db and this really got the speakers going in the bass department!

For some reason, the amp set to default (Tone: Off, Multi-Eq:Off) has no bass. I have read of another iQ90 owner not being able to get any bass from these speakers, so maybe you just have to trick your amp into overloading them with bass, but the result will give you a good level, not over the top.

I will re-run the Audyssey set up tonight, with 6-8 listening locations to benefit from Dynamic EQ, and then IF possible, edit the frequency curves to restore the bass in the speakers. Does anybody know if you can edit curves on top of an Audyssey setup, or do you have to stick it in manual to achieve this?

It's been a long road to get to here.