KEF iq6c VS KEF iq2c - battle of the centers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by emusa, Jun 12, 2009.

1. emusa

emusa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Since I narrowed my choice down to 2 center speakers, I figured I checked with you experts ;) As the title says: KEF iq6c vs KEF iq2c.

I know the KEF iq6c is the better speaker. It's pure and simple as that. But the fact is, the center has to match my current speaker setup: the Pioneer S-v410.

That is why I won't choose a Klipsch center; the horny sound (always wanted to use that one :D) just won't match with the Pioneer speakers. Wharfedale isn't an option because I don't like the way they look: they aren't completely black - like the KEF's. The JBL northridge ec35 would be an option as well .. but I think I like KEF better.

The KEF iq2c has the special Uni-Q array technology and it's powerfull enough to match the other speakers. The KEF iq6c has more power, more drivers, is known as a freakin' good center.

My questions are:
    - Would the KEF iq6c match my current speaker-setup, or would it be kinda ridiculous?
    - Is the KEF iq6c way better than the KEF iq2, concerning clarity and sounddetail (the thing I hate about the Pioneer center I have now)?
    - Which one would you choose? Changing any other speakers isn't an option.

Thanks for the advice!

2. markswift2003

markswift2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Ok, I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, but having had an IQ6C and the predecessor to the IQ2 (can't remember what it was called now..) hopefully I can help a little ;)

I'm afraid I'm going to have to say that I think the answer to your first question is no, I don't think it'll match well at all.

The Pioneers you have are effectively a sub/sat lifestyle system in that they are not going to have anything like the same frequency range as the KEFs and the tonal quality will be entirely different (that's not saying anything bad about the Pioneers, it's just they handle the bass/midrange differently).

The front soundstage is where you want the most coherency (ie matched speakers) and I don't think the KEFs will do that for you. They do sound great with KEF towers, but I think you'll end up with the left and rights sounding more like surrounds in relation to what the KEF center can do.

The IQ6 is, in my opinion, "way" better than the IQ2 although as said before, I've only got the comparison of the IQ2's predecessor to rely on.

You say that changing the other speakers isn't an option, but if you do decide to try an IQ6, I suspect that may change your mind :suicide:

Mark

3. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    perhaps something from anthony gallo would suffice? one of their centres would work well imo:thumbsup: