Kef iq5se

scrappy77

Standard Member
Reaction score
Over the last for month Ive been thinking about upgrading my current speakers and amp, so me and the wife had a listen to a few floor stand Speaker's and the ones that looked and sounded the best to us where the KEF IQ5se we did listen to some other's that cost ed 200-300 more but we had real trouble telling the difference plus the kef's looked much better, so we went home to do some more research and found that on there web site that they have already been replaced by the IQ50, after reading what hifi reviews they got bit of a bad report only 3 out of 5 stars where the IQ5 got 5 out of 5.
Have any of you guys got the new IQ50 and what do you think and also has any one got the IQ5se.

Thanks.

Take what most magazines say with a large pinch of salt. I have the IQ50s and the other new ones where I work and they are pretty decent speakers what from I have heard so far.

I would recommend you visit your local dealer and get a demo of them and use your own ears to decide.

How do the KEF IQ5SEs compare with B&W 684s?

They both seem to get rated very highly - and the KEFs are now being knocked out at about £275 per pair from places like Weymouth Hifi. Assume that is because of the new IQ50s replacing them?

We're a little baffled as to that mag's decision to drop the KEF's a star, especially when they sound better than the previous ones, but as Crusty states, pinch of salt and all that.

Stocks of iQ5SE's are getting low, and some finished will have to be searched for. We have Dark Apple and Maple in stock, although Maple is getting pretty low. They're a steal for £249, and we've had many people using them with expensive integrated amps and pre/powers like the Cyrus in excess of £1,000.

I''m looking to use them with an Arcam AVR250 - would they partner well with that? And what centre would go with it?

They'd work fine with it, and the iQ2c is the centre designed to match the iQ5SE's as it uses the same size UniQ driver. The iQ6c will sound fuller if you can accommodate it's larger size.

I bought the IQ5SE's for £249 from HiFix. They sound great and if looks are important to you, I don't think they can be beaten for the price. The dark apple finish is lovely.

They're on the short list then!

Just reverting to my earlier question re the amp though - Was seriously considering the b&w684's....but am not sure the amp is good enough muscially to really notice a £300 difference between the two sets of speakers.

Thoughts?

I'm in Aus so prices and availaibilty may be different but.....

We listened to the iQ5's (not SE) ad ended up with the iQ7's. The difference was huge and well worth the money. We didnt want to spend more but feel we are future proofed for some time now.

The IQ5SE are definitely worth a listen and are a bargain at £249 imo.

Really happy with them in my 6mx4m front room, cosmetically they are well-finished and the wide sweet-spot from the uni-q drivers suits the fact that I have to have them quite wide apart.

Last edited:
Thanks guys they have to look the part as well most of you no that the misses has to accept them as well!!, how do you find them on bass would you need a sub with movies.

Didn't realise the IQ5se's had been supressed until now, i got mine at £399 in walnut and i compared them with lot's of other brands and can i say i found the kef's to be the best and i was prepared to pay more.

Take the review as not gospel, that is just to one persons likeing its like me saying i done like the colour brown and you have your room painted that colour, my opinion of it though wouldn't be very high.

Anyway at the price they are now snap them up, once they are run in they just get better.

My IQ5se's replaced my B&W 602s3s and i don't look back as the B&Ws i thought could sound harsh at the top end where as the Kefs just seem to flow naturally and not a forced sound

Thanks mark I'm glad you said about the B&W because before i thought about getting the Kef's that was my first choice, the only thing that put me of the B&W was they ant the best looking speaking a bit boxy if you no what i mean may have to listen to both kef's and see which on we like.

Thanks for all your info :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom