KEF iQ5se Amp Pairing

DartFrogDude

Novice Member
Hi, I already own Kef iQ5se speakers which are currently paired with a Pioneer A400. I am looking to upgrade to a higher end integrated amplifier.I have had conflicting information about amps that will pair well with these speakers. I have asked for suggestions from a few HiFi shops.
-Originally i was interested in the 'Unison Research-Simply Italy' but told it's not powerful enough and only be suitable for quiet to moderate volume levels.
-Recommended the 'Icon Audio Stereo 40 MkIV' which I was feeling hopeful about. But then...
-Another shop said "Tube amps in general will not sound good with these speakers". Said to look at the 'Naim XS3'.
-Spoke to gentleman from another highly rated shop and he said that Naim amps will sound terrible with these speakers...far to much top end. Perhaps he was thinking of a different model?

I really am confused and would like some further help with this.
Budget is £1000-£2500. Happy with Used, Ex Dem or new. Tubes or Solid state...Whatever will sound best with these speakers.

I am unable to visit shops to test so am purely going by reviews and recommendations.
Thank you...It really is appreciated.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
A few guys on here like Rega with Kef speakers, the Elex-R is probably the right level unless you are looking at future upgrades then the Elicit is the one to go for.

At £2k there is the Hegel H95 but also the Lyngdorf TDAI1120 which again many forum members swear by with its room perfect system.

What sources do you want to plug into and do you need additional features like streamer, DAC, Bluetooth etc.

DartFrogDude

Novice Member
Thank you for those suggestions, I hadn't considered those models.
I have PC via USB to DAC then RCA to Amplifier. I have fairly decent cables already from Kimber.

Kapkirk

The Kef iQ5se can be a little lively in the treble so the salesman was right to advise you to consider your option carefully. The Lyngdorf TDAI1120 might possibly be a good match but is £2000 and I think has only 1 analogue input and 1 for a turntable, the rest are digital inputs which is fine if that's all you need.. Other slightly cheaper options would be something like the Japanese amps from Yamaha and Denon which provide a very balanced smooth sound. The Denon PMA1600NE is a particularly smooth sounding 2 ch amp with onboard DAC and provides a very clean dynamic sound with plenty of power, NAD amps also work quite well with that model KEF.

Kapkirk

Sorry I forgot to mention the ARCAM SA20 and SA30, also very clean smooth sounding amps.

gava

If you want something a little less mainstream...

gibbsy

I use the Rega Elicit-R with my KEF R300s. Pure analogue amp with bags of power and will deliver the control needed for any brightness.

DartFrogDude

Novice Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I am particularly interested in the Nord but it would need to be an integrated model. How do the Nord integrated sound, do you think it will tame my speakers? Are they better value for money than the mainstream brands?
I would like all of my money to go on sound quality. I dont need any features other than to be an integrated amp. It would be Nord One INT-A NC252MP Integrated Amplifier in Black | nordacoustics
all the others are slighly above my budget. There's no inbetween.

DartFrogDude

Novice Member
Also, any thought on this amp? This brand was recommended to sound good with my speakers. It has lots of features that i don't need though.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
The Lyngdorf 1120 will happily drive your speakers all day.

It’s an excellent amplifier on its own, as well as a top class streamer.

But what sets it far apart from the rest is RoomPerfect.

Room correction done to the standard of RP is a revelation and will make more of a difference than any amp, dac or phono stage.

You can get a home demo from this fine fellow here.

Tom.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
This is a good description of what RP does.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom