1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef iQ5

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Funky Bass, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Funky Bass

Funky Bass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know if these speakers (or any floorstanders) would work ok in a small room or is it best to stick to bookshelfs?

thanks

2. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How small?

3. Funky Bass

Funky Bass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    about 3.5 x 2m

4. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would pass on floorstanders and go for the bookshelf speakers. Sorry but your room is too small.

5. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I would prefer bookshelf ones (iQ3) but the iQ5 are suited to small rooms...

But that's maybe too small.

6. Fauldzy

Fauldzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Like Funky I have IQ5 in mind. I also have a small room but slightly bigger than Funky. Mine measures 3.30 x 3.02m Is this still too small?

If yes is the case then read no further.. however:

Anyone have any views on these? I heard what hi-fi ranting about these in their '2005 awards' However I can not find any positioning info on these. What hi-fi says they are not too fussy, but I have not heard anything else to confirm this since then.

Does anyone know how close to the wall I could get with these?

Also £400 pair of speakers, I have a £1000 budget and still need to purchase amp and spinner: would these KEF be a wise buy for my budget? The only reason I would be drawn to these is IF they are not fussy with positioning and the fact they deliver excellent authority - which is what I want!

Thanks!

7. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I suspect when they say they are not fussy speakers they mean they can be placed near a wall for bass extension or away from room boundaries for improved sound staging. All speakers will work well in certain parts of the room but moving them a few feet will seriously impede the sound quality

8. Fauldzy

Fauldzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey London! Thanks for the quick respose. Do you think the IQ5 would be a wise buy for my budget? Also do you think my room size is big enough?

I can achieve 55cm from the back wall and 25cm from the side wall. If I angle my current floorstanders toward the centre, firing ports into the corner I can achieve 69cm.

9. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I would prefer a pair of iQ3 bookshelf ones.

Better voices and music body (bigger midwoofer), less room interaction and better cntrol (bookshelf model), and if you have a sub...

10. Hi/zuum

Hi/zuum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    I've just got the Kef IQ3s in black, nice... :smashin: & they've already impressed me. For a small room (in which I've got them) I think they're ideal. I'm well pleased. I've got them sat on black Atacama stands & they look the business!

11. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    The bookshelf speakers would seem to be the sensible choice but make sure you get a demo first. There are a huge range of decent bookshelf speakers in your price range but they will all sound different and interact with your room differently so a home demo is very important

12. Funky Bass

Funky Bass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, just reading this thread and theres a lot of interesting points, looks like standmounts are probably too big for my room so I'll most likely be going with bookshelfs to go with my new amp (Meridian 551). Unfortunately I'm probably skint until after christmas now but I'll keep you posted once I start auditioning stuff.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried the Meridian A500's though, they are standmounts but apparently sound fantastic and may be worth investing in for the future.

thanks for the input so far guys :smashin:

13. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    I was told by my local dealer that the new iQ5/7/9 were designed to be positioning close to walls....So he said...

..It's the direction the company has been going, as they aparently now understand that it's more practical to have speakers closer to the walls - so porting is now been moved to the front (they did this prior to the iQ's) rather than the porting at the rear....

I was recommended approx 20cm for my iQ7's, but mine are placed less than 10cm. I get no booming what so ever, unlike my rear ported Cyrus CLS50's which I'm convinced are designed to be placed no less that 2 metres from the wall - by which time all of the bass has gone :eek:
    (not that I dislike the sound of the CL50's with the right music and the wind in the right direction :) )

14. Fauldzy

Fauldzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree with funky.. thanks for the input so far... really appreciated. Interesting comment by springtide. Just because a speaker design is front ported though, it doesnt necessarily mean it is designed to go close to the wall, does it?

In the case of IQ5 the only way I would really know for sure is to contact KEF directly.
    I just cant shake these off, even though you advise me to be sensible :eek:p I have to audition these!

ideally I would like some speakers that dont have an issue with being close to the wall. Does anyone have any ideas or experiences on which speakers are best designed this way?

15. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    IMO :)

Your completely right, this is not true with all front ported speakers.

As a general rule though, front ported speakers (what are the words I'm looking for here...) will generally be more forgiving than rear ported when placed close to walls.
    The problem with rear porting is that this can create a boomy sound (due to reflection) when placed too close to walls.This can be controlled by moving the speakers further away from the wall. The upside to rear porting is that this boomy sound can be turned into lovely bass extention with good placement. My CLS50's are a bit like this, I just get their placement "just perfect" and then the following day my wife pushes them back up against the wall :rolleyes:

16. Fauldzy

Fauldzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    LOL Spring.... seems you have on going battle with your wife there!

I can totally agree with the rear ports needing to breathe its logical. Just out of interest: If any speaker is front ported why would that need any breathing space behind? Why could it not be placed close to the wall?

17. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    Not any more. They've now moved into another room and I replaced them with a pair of iQ7's.

Now she can push them back as far as she likes :)
    - the terminals on the back stop them actually touching the wall!

18. Fauldzy

Fauldzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I still see that someone is yet to answer my (possibly amature) question. Anyway.. no fear i come bearing information and just though you lot would like to hear what KEF wrote to me in my email.
    KEF replied with..
    I could quite easily get away with the IQ5 in my room, going on the requirements set by KEF. However because of how the room is laid out I am forced to place the speakers short of the sidewall/corners at just 12" away.

Back to the drawing board I s'pose?!??

19. Murdo

Murdo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a What Hi-Fi? Sound & Vision bod, but this is my personal opinion: the KEFs work well even closer to the rear wall – they're also actually pretty small cabinets. That said I would always suggest you try before you buy, and choose an amp with good taut bass performance. The 'not fussy' bit also applies to 'toe-in' – because of the wide spread from the KEF's Uni-Q driver array, the cabinets don't need to overly point in at your listening sweet spot.