Kef IQ10 - Hardly Any Bass?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by PS65, Mar 9, 2013.

1. PS65

PS65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just purchased a pair of KEF IQ10s on sale, with a Sansui 201 Amp.

It's connected via TOC cable from my MacBook Pro and the amp is also connected to a CD player via QED stereo cables. For some reason, neither re producing any real bass?

Is is just the speaker quality/type, or is it a connection issue? The main speaker cable from the amp to speaker goes directly into the LF feed and then banana cables (that come with KEF) feed the HF.

Any ideas before I confider returning these?!?!

Thanks (PS. I'm not a technical hifi guy, so please let me know if the above makes sense)

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    Have you run the speakers in? How much listening have you done? Often bass will improve after a good few hours of listening. Also it will depend on your expectations as they are not huge speakers so are not going to produce loads of bass. How are they mounted? On proper stands? Your amp is also not great which may also be having an impact on the sound.

3. PS65

PS65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would a Marantz PM6004 be better?
    They're on my desk using (but to be honest, there just isnt any bass coming (ie I don't think it is being lost).

If I get the Marantz, the guys mentioned having to get a DAC?

Been running for about 6 hours now, no real change

4. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Yes, it does. The most likely reasons you have lack of bass are:

Speaker run-in period - already covered by PSM1

Your unrealistic expectations

Room is too large for the small speakers

Out-of-phase loudspeaker connections. Check amp to loudspeaker connecting cables. The amp '+' (or red) terminal must connect to the speaker '+' (or red) terminal and the amp '-' terminal (or black) terminal must connect to the speaker '-' (or black) terminal. A 'crossed' connection won't harm anything but will lead to an odd, phasey/imprecise sound and lack of bass.

I doubt you have problems with the connecting cables (other than possible mis-connection of amp to loudspeaker cables) and whilst it may be possible to improve on the amp (although I've seen a good review of it), I doubt there would be a substantial difference at this price point.

5. PS65

PS65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe my unrealistic expectations going from a standard computer system with a sub, to this...?

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    They are not going to sound at their best on a desk and without a firm base this can affect bass. 6 hours is no where near enough to be run in so bass should improve. Most pc 2.1 systems have poor subs with flabby bass. The kefs will give a much cleaner bass and you could be miscontrusing this as a lack of bass.

7. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,195
    I'll add some additional points as well as repeat others.

1.)ABSOLUTELY BEYOND ANY SHADOW OF A DOUBT make sure the speakers are wired correctly. That in every case, including the LF and HF jumper, that the Amp(+) goes to the Speaker(+).

Put your ear up to the tweeter and make sure sound is coming out of them as well.

2.) Don't mistake clean clear bass for lack of bass. Most cheap speakers have exaggerated droning bass, which admittedly some people like. But it falls short of true High Fidelity.

3.) Expectations in proportion to the speakers. These are not PA Speakers, they are bookshelf stereo speakers, you can't use the to demolish building. But, they have 130mm/5" bass drivers and response down to 49hz at -3dB. At a still usable -6dB, the response is going to be about 42hz, which is decent for a bookshelf speaker.

4.) Break-in, I bought my new (at the time) Diamond 9.6 which have twin 8" bass drivers. Connected them to my amp ... and was gutted. The bass was way too lean. Not at all what I expected. So, I played them with the bass on full for 3 weeks (over 200hrs) and eventually the bass started coming out. Now the bass is very well balanced and clear.

The amount of break-in time varies, but minimum you need 20 to 30 hours of play time for them to soften up.

The Q Series is very well regarded, and all models have receive high praise from reviewers. I think you just need to give it some time.

Can you give us any information on the amp? Specifically how much power does it have?

Steve/bluewizard