Kef in ceiling Ci200RR-THX vs Ci160RR-THX

Pumauk

Hi all,

Currently can get the ci200RR's for £400 each vs £500 for the ci160RR's... though aren't the 200RR's actually the better speakers?

Is the newer design of the Ci160's worth it over the 200's?

Also, i'm new to installing in-ceilings... would either of these be ok with just a fire hood installed, or do they really need some sort of dedicated back box to get the proper result?

Thanks

Pumauk

Nobody know how the Ci160RR and CI200RR compare? Why would anyone choose the 160 almost the same price?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Nobody know how the Ci160RR and CI200RR compare? Why would anyone choose the 160 almost the same price?

Contact the manufacturer if you want more specific answer:

The CI200RR has larger tweeter (38mm vs. 25mm) for even wider dispersion? (was the case with other manufacturer). And of course larger mid-bass drivers (8") so if you are going to listen very loud then this model would be a no brainer for not much more. You would still cross them around 80hz, but my vote would be the Ci200 for dedicated room if you crank it loud often. There is thread in the AVSForum (US) were people have moved to larger in-ceiling speakers for Atmos and also some members at AVF have done the same thing. If you don`t have issues with the larger size either then it should be easy choice.

Isco 3

It's a 19 vs a 38mm tweeter, larger magnet, etc. The 200RR handles more power and can play deeper and louder. You can see the tweeter capabilities by checking the frequencies KEF decided to cross them over (3 kHz vs 2.2 kHz). The 200RR is even better than the Ci160RR; the objective behind the 160RR was to offer a more realistic sized speaker. The 200RR was introduced 6 years ago at £475 and the 'newer' 160RR has a 2021 price tag. I bet if KEF made the 200RR now they would have introduced it at £700, considering they priced the smaller one at £500.

Last edited:

Pumauk

It's a 19 vs a 38mm tweeter, larger magnet, etc. The 200RR handles more power and can play deeper and louder. You can see the tweeter capabilities by checking the frequencies KEF decided to cross them over (3 kHz vs 2.2 kHz). The 200RR is even better than the Ci160RR; the objective behind the 160RR was to offer a more realistic sized speaker. The 200RR was introduced 6 years ago at £475 and the 'newer' 160RR has a 2021 price tag. I bet if KEF made the 200RR now they would have introduced it at £700, considering they priced the smaller one at £500.
Thanks, so why would anyone buy the 160RR?

Isco 3

It's a smaller hole on the ceiling, that's all. I wouldn't buy the 160RR personally, I'd go for the bigger 8" brother.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom