1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF Hypertweeter

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Nic Rhodes, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Most people will now have seen the new KEF Q and Ref ranges that have been announced.

For me the biggest differences are the cabinet shape and the addition of the super tweeter to the Ref range. Sorry Kef call it a hyper tweeter. Surely this hyper tweeter could be easily added to the existing Ref range as an add on super tweeter. The voice’ing is similar and all you would need would be a series of resistors to match the different efficiencies of the ‘old’ Ref range. Say 88 – 92 dB. This would give an affordable upgrade for Kef to make more money out of, it would be a feature that would go down big time with existing Kef Ref owners and it could be used more widely as well.

Tannoy have done very well with their super tweeter. Personally, I am a big fan of super tweeters. Back in the old days I used to used the Coles 4003 (?) super tweeter on top of old Kef drive units (T27, B110, B139). It worked brilliantly with analogue source however with the advent of CD brick wall filters and modern tweeters that now go much higher before break up they have gone out of fashion. The advent of SACD and DVD A has given us the ability to use them again. I think these is a growth market here and the inclusion of them in the latest Kef Ref would seem to indicate that Kef do as well.

What do people think, and what do KEF think?

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Must admit I keep toying with trying it out, there was an article about 6 months ago in HiFi choice about adding a piezo tweeter to your existing speakers, which cost about 10 quid.

We recently modified a friends Trace Elliot guitar cab by adding a £5 Motorola tweeter, but it didn't really give the effect we were after, it was a bit too subtle so I might nick it off him and connect it up to my HiFi.