JaiMeekings88

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that you guys would be able to help my with my home theatre needs.

I am building a new living room set up but am having a hard time knowing what to buy and given the current social distancing rules means that I can’t test many options. The living room will be used as our main living room and movie watching. I am not really interested in music capabilities of the speakers as it will be for 100% home theatre, mainly streaming content, 4K Blu-ray’s etc. The living room is around 11’ wide x 16’ long and the tv is centered on the 11’ wall. The main sitting position will be around 12’ from the 11’ wall and centered on the tv. I am building a new fireplace with a cubby below tv for the center speaker but have low ceilings which restricts the size of the center channel I can use. The amp I will be using for this will be the Denon AVR 3313. It’s my old amp from my other theatre room running 7 T101’s. I will be running all my HDMI’s to the TV and using ARC back to the amp. The center channel will be 41” from the floor and in the center just below the TV and the L & R will be 5’ either side of the center about 55” from the floor.

I am interested in a 3.0 set up but will add a sub later. The options I have are Q250C, R2C or the R200C for the center channel. I can’t really go to the 650c as it is just too tall where I need it to go.

The right and left speaker options are Q150, Q350 or the R100. I can’t really deviate from the options either as they are where my budget will allow. I don’t want cost to be a factor, but I do have the budget for any of these combinations and cannot go over. Also not sure if I can put pricing down but let’s just say these can be bought for the same price with the Q150 being half price of the other 2. With the 3313 being 7 channel but rated for 6 Ohm will I be able to run any of these speakers if I’m only using 3 channels and Volume of around 50db on my denon 3313?

The reason I need to make a decision is because I am framing the new fireplace wall, running all new electric, outlets, speaker terminals etc and building a mantel. I want to complete before the new furniture arrives in 3 weeks. I am by no means an audiophile I’m not going to understand what people mean when they say it sounds bright or flat. What I am looking for is the best to create a surround sound experience where I can hear a car go from speaker to speaker and pick out the little details in the background. I really appreciate any and all help. I have lost sleep researching this for a week so I can complete the living room to please the mrs. Thank you all for any input you can provide. I have attached a 3D mockup of the room.

Attachments

• 8EEB3B7A-91C9-4B96-8DB2-F39B339B3DDA.png
    8EEB3B7A-91C9-4B96-8DB2-F39B339B3DDA.png
    630.5 KB · Views: 163
I would pick the R100 & R200c if you can find those! They are still the better speakers over Q-serie, especially the center channel which covers over 60% of movies soundtrack!
R100 & R200c also shares identical 5,25" UniQ drivers. The R200c should be lot cheaper than new R2c! Although i don´t see any problem using that one with R100s if you can´t find matching finish 2nd hand (R200c).

It looks like the old Denon 3313 has similar powersupply to todays 4000 serie. Measured data shows that it pushes healthy 120w for 2ch 8ohm and 200w for 2ch 4ohm load with low THD so i wouldn´t worry much. Just keep the receiver in open space so that it has plenty of ventilation on top and sides! And buy subwoofer from internet direct company (HSU, Rythmik, SVS, Monoprice Monolith etc.), you have so many great options there in US! Stay away from the market stuff! The system is going to sound even better when you add quality powered subwoofer and you take some weight off from the receiver aswell!

That absolute volume 50db doesn´t tell me much. Can you change it to "Relative" as there should be two options to pick from. That one is more often used and would give better idea of your typical listening levels.

" If your receiver has the option for "Volume Display," it can be changed in the GUI menu under: System (or Manual) Setup - Option Setup - Volume Control - Volume Display. "

Hope you can still consider adding surround speakers at some point. I have been living with lot different ones from 5.1 to 3.1 and 2.1. Need to say that i would pick even some cheaper surrounds / surrounds placed less optimally than not to have them at all = i miss them! But see how you feel and what is possible in your room then. Pair of T101s would do the trick.

I would pick the R100 & R200c if you can find those! They are still the better speakers over Q-serie, especially the center channel which covers over 60% of movies soundtrack!
R100 & R200c also shares identical 5,25" UniQ drivers. The R200c should be lot cheaper than new R2c! Although i don´t see any problem using that one with R100s if you can´t find matching finish 2nd hand (R200c).

It looks like the old Denon 3313 has similar powersupply to todays 4000 serie. Measured data shows that it pushes healthy 120w for 2ch 8ohm and 200w for 2ch 4ohm load with low THD so i wouldn´t worry much. Just keep the receiver in open space so that it has plenty of ventilation on top and sides! And buy subwoofer from internet direct company (HSU, Rythmik, SVS, Monoprice Monolith etc.), you have so many great options there in US! Stay away from the market stuff! The system is going to sound even better when you add quality powered subwoofer and you take some weight off from the receiver aswell!

That absolute volume 50db doesn´t tell me much. Can you change it to "Relative" as there should be two options to pick from. That one is more often used and would give better idea of your typical listening levels.

" If your receiver has the option for "Volume Display," it can be changed in the GUI menu under: System (or Manual) Setup - Option Setup - Volume Control - Volume Display. "

Hope you can still consider adding surround speakers at some point. I have been living with lot different ones from 5.1 to 3.1 and 2.1. Need to say that i would pick even some cheaper surrounds / surrounds placed less optimally than not to have them at all = i miss them! But see how you feel and what is possible in your room then. Pair of T101s would do the trick.
Thank you Gasp3621
Our typical receiver volume for movies and general watching would be around -28 if that is what you need!?
I am actually going to wire to room for 5.1 but currently only in budget to buy the 3 speakers, then further down the line add 2 surrounds an a sub. Actually in my other theatre room I have a 7.1 setup of the T101’s so probably would add 2 of those as they are discreet on the wall.
After researching I am seeing a lot of mentions to skip the Q series if the R100’s are available. However I am seeing a lot of love for the LS50 and my wife actually likes the curved design. What would your opinion be of those for my setup. Thinking 2 of those with the R2C?

As @Gasp3621 has said the R100s with the R200C would be a very good option and certainly better than the Q Series. The R200C is an excellent centre delivering clear and precise dialogue and the R100s certainly punch well above their weight. I own both of the those speakers. Likewise the Denon 3313 will have enough power to drive the R Series in your room.

The LS50s are a different speaker and maybe a bit harder on the 3313 to drive them, though drive them it will. Most of the KEF range will happily blend with each other without much loss of timbre, certainly not enough to draw your attention to it. You could source another LS50 and use that as a centre placed horizontally. The LS50s are a very musical speaker and perhaps not as well suited to home cinema as the R Series, both old and new are. I actually preferred the R300s to the LS50s.

Thank you Gasp3621
Our typical receiver volume for movies and general watching would be around -28 if that is what you need!?
I am actually going to wire to room for 5.1 but currently only in budget to buy the 3 speakers, then further down the line add 2 surrounds an a sub. Actually in my other theatre room I have a 7.1 setup of the T101’s so probably would add 2 of those as they are discreet on the wall.
After researching I am seeing a lot of mentions to skip the Q series if the R100’s are available. However I am seeing a lot of love for the LS50 and my wife actually likes the curved design. What would your opinion be of those for my setup. Thinking 2 of those with the R2C?

Good to hear that you can consider adding 101s and hopefully subwoofer soon as i can imagine certain type of movies/series will sound very anemic.

You can read some of the differences this person found, would you agree with him is then another thing. Clearly R3/R300 would be much more ideal, but not possible for you..

Are you going to put the main speakers on the shelves both side close/against front wall?

If you are buying blind watch few youtube videos to get better idea how they look in room, put HD quality On from settings and show wife also! I understand perfectly that they do need to look great as you watch them daily for many years to come.

one thing to take into account, getting a sub and running the speakers on a hpf over 80hz will take the strain off the amplifier so i wouldnt worry too much as your avr has a decent power supply. with this in mind i would prioritise a sub.

have to echo @Gasp3621 the r range is a noticable upgrade to the q range and would shop for the r100's and r200c.

if music a priority then go ls50 but for h/t, the range is the better choice.

As @Gasp3621 has said the R100s with the R200C would be a very good option and certainly better than the Q Series. The R200C is an excellent centre delivering clear and precise dialogue and the R100s certainly punch well above their weight. I own both of the those speakers. Likewise the Denon 3313 will have enough power to drive the R Series in your room.

The LS50s are a different speaker and maybe a bit harder on the 3313 to drive them, though drive them it will. Most of the KEF range will happily blend with each other without much loss of timbre, certainly not enough to draw your attention to it. You could source another LS50 and use that as a centre placed horizontally. The LS50s are a very musical speaker and perhaps not as well suited to home cinema as the R Series, both old and new are. I actually preferred the R300s to the LS50s.
Hi gibbsy, I really appreciate your input. I am having trouble sourcing an R200C would the R2C be ok with the R100’s? I’m really struggling to make this decision because I don’t understand enough about the audio side of H/T to know what I would lose or gain depending on the speaker I go with. Would you possibly be able to explain why the R100’s would be better for H/T vs the LS50 for dummies!! Would it be much of a loss for H/T if I did the LS50 as L/R with the R2C? Would that be a good compromise or would the R100’s just be that much better for H/T? Thanks

one thing to take into account, getting a sub and running the speakers on a hpf over 80hz will take the strain off the amplifier so i wouldnt worry too much as your avr has a decent power supply. with this in mind i would prioritise a sub.

have to echo @Gasp3621 the r range is a noticable upgrade to the q range and would shop for the r100's and r200c.

if music a priority then go ls50 but for h/t, the range is the better choice.
Good Evening dollar, thanks for the information you have provided. I kind of explained some information in my reply to gibbsy but I guess I will summarize. The R300’s are definitely not in my budget bracket and got a straight no from the mrs. My choice basically lies with the R100’s with an R2C or the LS50’s with the R2C. Would you still recommend the R100’s over the LS50’s for home theatre? What makes the R100’s better. Sorry for the noob questions but I just don’t have a great understanding of the audio world. Thanks again

Good Evening dollar, thanks for the information you have provided. I kind of explained some information in my reply to gibbsy but I guess I will summarize. The R300’s are definitely not in my budget bracket and got a straight no from the mrs. My choice basically lies with the R100’s with an R2C or the LS50’s with the R2C. Would you still recommend the R100’s over the LS50’s for home theatre? What makes the R100’s better. Sorry for the noob questions but I just don’t have a great understanding of the audio world. Thanks again
*dollag sorry autocorrect

Good to hear that you can consider adding 101s and hopefully subwoofer soon as i can imagine certain type of movies/series will sound very anemic.

You can read some of the differences this person found, would you agree with him is then another thing. Clearly R3/R300 would be much more ideal, but not possible for you..

Are you going to put the main speakers on the shelves both side close/against front wall?

If you are buying blind watch few youtube videos to get better idea how they look in room, put HD quality On from settings and show wife also! I understand perfectly that they do need to look great as you watch them daily for many years to come.

Indeed, I learned from my brother in laws mistake by not planning ahead so I am pre wiring for Atmos 5.1.2 in the new room. With priority being 3.0 then add sub, then add surrounds, then add in ceiling. I would be interested in the R300 but there is no way I can swing it with my budget. I have already got the wife to increase from just a new TV to a new TV and speaker system. I really don’t want to push it if you know what I mean. You are correct the speakers would be on the second shelf from the top against the wall corners. She is not opposed to the R100’s or the LS50’s, she seems to like the look of them both. She just wants me to make the right choice in her budget lol for our needs. She has said I can choose from those 2 options, or the Q series which seems to have been ruled out at this point.

With the new R2C being the centre then I feel the R100s would be the better choice for a more balanced home cinema front soundstage. Three LS50s would likewise make a good choice. I personally thought that the old R Series was a more rounded speaker for home cinema over the more musically orientated LS50s which are somewhat harder on an amp to get the best out of them.

You do think though that with the R100s you are actually listening to a much bigger speaker. I initially ran them connected to a Denon 2310 which was substantially down on power compared to the 3313 along with the R200C in a 5.1, old KEF Eggs taking up surround duties. Then and now pictures attached.

162753574.kWAAJ3mv.001KEF.jpg169014423.3oX2AMVS._DSC4302.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom