KEF Eggs with/out Sub ?

Spy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I am still contemplating which speakers to get. Before I go and get another audition,I had a question....

How good is the KEF Sub that comes with them, the PSW 2010 ?

Do you think the sound of the Eggs could be improved by buying the Eggs by themselves and then using them with something in a similar price range to the KEF sub.

For example an MJ Acoustics Ref 100 (£350) or a REL Quake (£350) or the PSW 2010 just as good or better ?

Hi spy,

I was gonna buy the kef eggs and had exactly the same dilemma as yourself.

I have to admit I’m no sub expert but here’s my opinion based on stuff I have read.

The kef sub is a huge improvement over their previous subs with some tight controlled bass, it has a 10inch driver. If size is an issue in your room then this is an excellent sub since it’s relatively a small sub. However there is room for improvement and you will gain a lot by upgrading the sub especially for movies but this upgrade could be in the region of 400+.

The MJ Acoustics Ref 100 is very highly regarded as a sub, I have heard that it’s an excellent sub and great value for money. It will probably be better then the PSW2010 but by how much I don’t know.

Also I have heard that Velodyne make some good subs, Velodyne CHT-8 is available for £315 but once again i'm not even sure if it's better then the PSW2010

I'm not sure that I would bother and would go with the KEF sub which is supposed to be quite good (not heard it though). Apart from anything else if you ever wish to upgrade it makes it easier to sell.

hi there,I haven't heard the new sub so take my comment as you may.... :)

I had the Kef 2005.1 eggs and found the first sub was pretty poor (though it looked quite nice) so I upgraded to a Velodyne CHT-10 for around about 350 and I've never looked back.

Getting a decent sub with the eggs imo is very important and will add greatly to there sound.

CaM

Originally posted by cameronl
I had the Kef 2005.1 eggs and found the first sub was pretty poor (though it looked quite nice) so I upgraded to a Velodyne CHT-10 for around about 350 and I've never looked back.

Getting a decent sub with any small satellites is important but it would appear that the KEF sub has been upgraded considerably since the first model.

as Ian says, the new sub is supposed to be much better than the one I had....but still, imho I would rather have a velodyne with the Kef 2005.2 than the newly updated one....

with that said, please note that I haven't compared the two subs before.

CaM

I would probably go with a third party sub, like cameronl i havent heard the new kef sub as i have the mk1 eggs but got rid of my old sub and replaced it with a B&W675 and havent looked back.
Kef would have had to seriously upgrade the sub to outperform a third party sub like velodyne or B&W imo

I have the sub with my Kef 2005.2 and can say it is superb. It looks nice and classy and the sound is even better.

Thanks for all the feedback.

When comparing, the KEF Sub is with a 10" driver where as the MJ and Qauke are 100W with 8" drivers (I believe).

Given these stats, I would not expect them to perform as well but they are highly rated by the mags.

I saw what appears to be a bargain in Richer Sounds, £289 (reduced by £291) for a Tannoy R15 - 200W. I don't know if it is any good or indeed better than the KEF.

What should you be looking for in a sub - Watts, Driver Size etc ?

Originally posted by Spy
What should you be looking for in a sub - Watts, Driver Size etc ?

Unfortunately none of that is really relevant. The performance of a subwoofer depends very much on a mixture of it's design and the quality of the components that go into it's manufacture.

You can buy a high powered amp very cheaply from Taiwan which coupled with a cheap driver will give you a sub that looks good on paper but performs poorly

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom