1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Eggs - What cables are required?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by alivingstone, Jan 19, 2002.

1. alivingstone

alivingstone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

After much thought I'm just about to order a set of KEF Eggs and a Marantz SR5200 receiver via mail order.

I'd like to order the cables I need with these.
    Being totally new to this stuff I haven't a clue what I need.

Approx distances from amp to speakers will be as follows:
    Sub 5 or 6m (or preferably 10m if possible!)
    Front 4m and 5m
    Rear 8m and 12m

Can anyone advise what I need to ask for - brand names, connection types etc. or do I just get a big chunk of cable and chop it up into the sizes I need?

I assume I'll need some sort of connections to the SR5200 from my other kit also.

DVD and PS2 will get connected by a digital optical cable I assume but which brand - does quality differ?

Also how do I connect my analogue NTL cable box to the SR5200 as it only seems to have an RF out which connects to the VCR which in turn goes to the Tosh TV via SCART.

Yours totally confused.

Anthony. :confused:

2. dbloor

dbloor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone advise what I need to ask for - brand names, connection types etc. or do I just get a big chunk of cable and chop it up into the sizes I need?

Cables are one of those subjects that provoke many opinions, some would say that's cos there aren't really any right answers out there.
    I bought a big long length of Cable Talk something or other for my 'Eggs.' It's relatively flat and goes under the carpet nicely, the sound is OK and I paid about 2 or 3 quid a metre (cant remember).
    I think I got it mail order from superfi.
    You will also need a phono cable for the sub, I asked for a freebie when I bought them and was obliged, again this sounds OK so I shall not be spending large wads of cash on a flash one.

DVD and PS2 will get connected by a digital optical cable I assume but which brand - does quality differ?

Not in my opinion, spend about 10-15 quid each.

Also how do I connect my analogue NTL cable box to the SR5200 as it only seems to have an RF out which connects to the VCR which in turn goes to the Tosh TV via SCART.

I dunno but there is sure to be a man who does along soon

D

3. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    QED silver anniversary at £5 per metre is an often recommended speaker cable, however other stuff at half the price would probably do for the rears.

The subwoofer probably takes a line-level phono input. I wouldn't get too carried away about the quality here or it will cost you £££. Maplins (and other component shops) sell cheap, long phono cables that will more than suffice.

You probably won't do video switching at the receiver so you only need audio connections. You can get scart cables with additional audio out phonos if needed. Otherwise ordinary phono cables will do for analog signals. How much you spend on analog cables is up to you.

For digital connections, eletrical is preferable to optical but quality of cable is insignificant in sonic terms as long as the cable "works". Maplins sell reasonably cheap optical cables, and their £2.99 1.2m 75ohm phono video cable is perfect for electric digital connections.

I personally use ordinary, cheap 3 metre phono cable both for my sub and DD/DTS connections and they work perfectly. Don't waste money on expensive digital cables as it's only a matter of whether they can carry an uncorrupted signal or not. Analog is a different matter, however I remain sceptical about the claims made for expensive analog cables too.