1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Eggs vs Mission M72 Cinema?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by balders, Oct 7, 2003.

1. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

Can anyone offer any views on the relative sound quality of a Kef Eggs KHT 2005.2 speaker pack against a Mission M72i (bookshelf) Cinema pack + sub?

I'm thinking about taking my first real steps in buying a decent surround sound system, mainly to be used for watching films, but also for playing music.

I was assuming that with the Eggs, I'd be paying a premium for the 'lifestyle' styling of them, and that the Missions would give a better sound for lower cost. Having recently read some comments about the Eggs though, I'm not too sure about this. The new 2005.2 eggs do seem to be getting lots of good comments!

I was also wondering if there is any real benefit in getting the (front floorstanding) Mission M73i cinema pack? The description says they have better bass than the M72s, although the specs are pretty similar on paper. Would I notice this difference if I've got a seperate sub?

I was thinking of running them off a Yahama AX640SE amplifier.

I know the standard answer is ... go listen to them for yourself ... but before I do that, I'd be interested in whether anyone has any views on the relative sound quality of each setup.

Thanks,

Balders.

2. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I listened to the Kef eggs today, and I must say, I was impressed. The guy in the shop reckoned it's about a good a sound system as you can get for the money, even comparing against floorstanders. I'm a little sceptical, but he did have a whole shop full of Kef and B&W floorstanders to compare against!

Anyone got any views on this?

3. Steve Amos

Steve Amos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my KEF eggs just over a week ago, and I'm very impressed generally, but I think the only thing that lets them down a little is the centre speaker.

All 5 speakers are the same, which has obvious advantages in that the centre will fit perfectly with all the rest, but to my ears it sounds a bit weak and lacks presence.

As I've got space for a large centre speaker I decided to replace the centre with a KEF Q9c which appears to match the remaining eggs tonally, plus it provides a much better sound.

Overall though it's down to personal taste and you can only decided for yourself what sounds good or bad.

4. m000

m000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Steve

CAn i ask if I know you? ie are you a Java developer?

Thanks

Also what have you paired youre eggs with?

5. Steve Amos

Steve Amos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry not a developer, in the computer industry though.

As for the eggs they are connected to a Pioneer AX3. Connected to the AX3 is a Pioneer 565 DVD player and a Sky box. I can definitely recommend the AX3 but it's probably a bit of an over kill for the Eggs. Convinced myself it would put me off upgrading in the near future, but only time will tell!!

6. m000

m000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    oh well not quite teh steve I know then.

Yeh thats whats put me off the ax3 - so will probably settle for a 2803/SR5400 and hope to save the pennies for the next step up.

ie wait for a bigger room :)

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I have the super M72 set, which cost just £282.00 online. Personally, after demoing both the Mission and the KEF sets, to my ears, the Missions had or have better dynamic range, and really impress the wife and me. Please note that we were both impressed by the Kefs, but I can accommodate bigger speakers in my cinema room so size was not a deciding factor. The centre picks up all of the detail from a decent soundtrack, and the rears spread the sound – in effect, these speakers are the closet thing I have heard to the real cinema, as the diffused sound is amazing.

Sure I understand that these speakers are budget really, but they are one thing that I am more than happy with in the overall context of my home cinema.

At the end of the day, I had to weigh up a price of £600.00 - £800.00 for the kefs or just £282.00 for the complete Mission set sans sub. By the way, I also bought a rel quake, which I love and it goes really well with the M72 set up, which are on mission stands. One thing I would say about the Mission is that the sound great at average volume but sing when really pushed a little louder !

Hope this helps a little.

Cap:smashin:

8. warrior99

warrior99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tested the eggs and They are very good. But not worth the money at the price. The sound is dynamic but very light and the centre is no good as regards a natural sound it is too small, it all sounds far too trebbley for cinema. I would advise testing good floor standers if you want a proper cinema sound. I have recently tested the wharfedale diamond screen 3 pack. Far better at £280 but no sub. I have on order the wharfedale screen 4 pack £350 + £147 for wharfedales biggest diamond sub. An absolute bargain they sound great. Do'nt mess about with little tarty fairy speakers, if you want cinema sound get some big speakers best give them mission m73's a try.

9. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Oh dear !!!

You sir are a baffoon, i didn't think this type of utter tosh was posted on a grown up forum like this.Sub/Sat systems offer a superb solution and sound equally as impressive as anything within it's price range.

Regarding the original post i did actually demo several speaker packages including the Mission M72 and the VM1's.
    Although both sound superb and the VM1's certainly look fantastic i ended up with the Kef 2005.2 package simply because to my ears they outclassed the competition in every way. They are not bad lookers either, i power them by a Yamaha RXV730 so very similar to your 640.
    I also use them for two channel stereo via a Arcam Diva cd62 which also sounds superb(to my ears anyway)
    It's all down to personal taste so obviously you will be demoing before you buy but the kef's certainly do it for me
    :smashin:

10. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sound from any speaker will depend on the amplification as well. My 2005.2 system sounds anything but light through my Naim amps/Yamaha processor and I am continually enjoying seeing friends jaws dropping to the sound the "eggs" pump out when hearing them for the first time. I am used to Monitor Audio floorstanders so I say this with some qualification.

11. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    stated that I preferred the Mission M72 to the KEFs. To be honest however, all told, the facts were that the kefs were slightly out of my price range when I bought!

I dont doubt that they are fantatic speakers in the right environment and I hope my answer was grown up:D

Has the budget gone a little further then maybe I would also be a happy KEF owner. Lets be honest, both sets a great VFM.

Cap:smashin:

12. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    It's good to know i'm not the only one who thinks the new 2005.2 system is superb, may i ask you a question thats been bugging me for a while regarding how i have mounted my speakers.
    I have wallmounted my front two eggs at the side of my plasma with the botton of the eggs level with the bottom of my screen 900mm above floor level. However my center speaker is only 500mm from floor level angled slightly upwards.
    Have i done the wrong thing in placing the center lower than my main front's, it sounds fine to me with the panning of the front soundstage being very convincing but i cannot help wondering about the height of the center.
    Has anyone anythought's about my placement :confused:

13. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Thanks for the reply kEF Ben the speaker is actually 370mm below the center of the screen. While your here can i ask you about rear placement, mine are 1400mm to the center of the speaker above floor level angled slightly down and in.
    Like i have stated my setup sounds fantastic but some expert advice cannot hurt can it(hopefully)
    Sorry for all the questions but that's what makes this forum what it is :smashin:

14. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for all the comments, folks. Sounds like the eggs may be worth keeping at the top of my shortlist. With the Create-Audio Egg/ Amp offer, it makes the eggs and the M72 pack+sub about the same price-wise.

Hmmmm ... all I've got to do now is convince the wife ... ;)

Balders.

15. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fuzzybee,
    Are you happy with your centre speaker for dialogue, etc.? Can you respond a bit more to the previous poster's comments on it being a bit weak or lacking presence for film?
    I'm also interested in these, but am concerned about this one point. I'm hoping to audition next week, and am wondering what kinds of things to listen out for as I do.
    Cheers,
    Jim

16. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Rainbow6

Yes i'm very happy with the center speaker although i do understand where Steve Amos is coming from.
    When i setup my system i borrowed a sound meter from my mate who's into Home Cinema big time and calibrated the fronts all the same. The first dvd i watched was A knights Tale Superbit and the DTS soundtrack sounded stunning. For whatever reason when the front three were calibrated the same via the soundmeter i did sometimes notice a lack of something from the center.
    Wether you could call it presence i'm not sure but after tweaking the center up two db on my Yamaha 730 everythings stunningly fantastic.
    All i can suggest when you do go and audition the speakers take a film you a very familiar with, then make sure all the speakers are set the same via the test tone on the amp(i'm sure whoever is demoing them for you won't mind you checking)
    Then let your ears do the test for you and see what you think, then set the center 2bd higher on the amp and see if it makes a difference to you. It did to me and now i'm very very happy with the 2005.2 package, the waf factor is also great as it was a sub/sat system or nothing and quite simply the 2005.2 package is the best on the market IMO (especially when i got Sevenoakes to pricematch Creative Audios £650):smashin:

17. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help, fuzzybee!
    Jim

18. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi Fuzzybee,

Did you get your speakers from RS in 7Oaks or 7Oaks Sound and Vision?

Thanks,
    Steve

19. Russell_S

Russell_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

I have to agree with fuzzybee, I have had my Kef 2005.2 speakers nearly 2 weeks. At first I was not overly impressed, they sounded harsh, the sub was boomy and I didn't feel I had £650 worth of speakers (I got Audio-T in Portsmouth to price match Creative Audio). However, the other night I decided to set them up properly. Having balanced the speakers with the test tone on my Yamaha DSP-A5 amp, and spaced the left/right speakers a little more apart, they have started to sound much sweater and smoother. I too have raised the output from the centre a tad and also balanced the sub much better.

I found the sub to be the hardest to get right. If you've never had a sub before, you tend to turn it up so that you cam "hear" it, which then makes it boomy. I found the best way was to turn it down until you can't hear it as a seperate speaker anymore and you think it's not doing anything. However, if you then turn the sub off, you realise that it was infact doing a lot.

I also feel that they sound better having been "run in" for a while. I am now very satisfied with the sound and feel I have got my mony's worth.

Russell

20. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Russell, can you tell me what you have the slope set to on the Sub?

21. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I got them from Sevenoakes Sound and Vision sheffield branch and very helpfull they were to.

Russel_S

What have you got your input level and crossover frequency set to ??? as i watched the Abyss special edition tonight and found some scenes very boomy.

22. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ben, my sub is connected directly to my Naim amps rather than my AV processor (so I can listen in stereo as well). I have the crossover on the sub set to half-way and the slope set to 24db, as I found the sub initially "impressive"at 12db but it seemed to blend in better at 24db. Have you any comments about how I have it set up? Cheers Phil

23. Russell_S

Russell_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

phil5743 I have the slope switch set to 12db/oct. This is not for any technical reason but is the setting that I felt sounded best.

fuzzybee The crossover frequency is set to 90hz (12 oclock position) and the input level is quite low, below a quarter I think. However this will be effected by the sub output level from the AV amp.

I have just sat down and watched a DVD, the first full movie since the proper setup, and it sounds great. Even my wife said how good it sounds.

Hope this is of help

Russell

24. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ben, my Naim is connected to the left line in on the sub (should I get a Y cable?) directly from the Naim Hi-cap power suppy (it has outputs which I think pass through from the pre-amp). This was the way Audio T advised me (and they even gave me a "DIN to phono" inter-connect to do it with. I have the left and right main speakers set to large so that the AV processor sends all low frequencies to the Naim. Then the sub does the bass management (crossover set to 12 o'clock). In this way I can listen in pure stereo bypassing the processor altogether. Incidently my vinyl has never been more enjoyable to listen to! Regards Phil

25. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks Ben, I've totally overlooked that way of doing it. Am I right in saying that you suggest rather than connecting the main out of the AV processor directly to my pre-amp, that I should connect the processor's main out L and R to the line in on the sub AND then connect the sub to my pre-amp using the high pass low level outputs?

However I have a problem with that as my turntable is connected directly to my pre-amp (and out of the processor loop). This would feed the sats a completely unfiltered signal unless I removed the processor from the loop every time I used it. Could this be why Audio T suggested the set-up as it is, as i can use the sub with both?

26. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Ben
    One LAST question (and then I might ring you!) : A whole can of worms has been opened by this. Can I assume that the way I have it set up at present with the Naim pre-amp just going INTO the sub (with no signal coming back via the sub's outputs) that although the low frequencies are being reproduced by the sub, the L and R sats are still being fed the low frequencies as well simultaneously - could this not be damaging in the long term? When I listen in stereo the sats don't sound like they are struggling with an unfiltered signal. To speak on phone shall I just phone KEF customer service? Thanks so much Phil

27. dura_ace

dura_ace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I listened to the new 2005.2 eggs yesterday in Sevenoaks and was very impressed all round. I have serious limitations in my awkward small room, and need speakers of this size and design. My problem is that they are way over my budget, although I am still thinking of ways to get them, if there are no alternatives! My only other issue is my budget amp (Marantz SR4300) and DVD/audio player (Sony DVPNS930V). Are these going to be good enough for the eggs? Will they sound too bright together? Can anyone help or give advice on alternatives?

28. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Hi Ben,

Slightly off topic I know, but could you clarify a question I have:

I like the look of the new 5005 package.

What improvements does it make to the 2005.2 package?

I notice the units have a smaller driver and only go to 100hz. What is the result of this in real life use ?

Many thanks

Tom.

29. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Can anyone give so me some feedback on the ability of the Eggs when it comes to playing (stereo) music? Are they comparable to an equivalent priced 'traditional' system, or does the sat/sub arrangement only really work for home-cinema applications?

Do any of you Egg-owners have any comments?

Would the Mission M72 pack be a better compromise or are the eggs perfectly capable?

Thanks,

Balders.

30. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    The eggs seem very capable in 2 channel stereo, my Yamaha 730 and Arcam Diva cd62 sound superb through the eggs. The clarity and detail is superb, i'm into 80's electro pop and it's never sounded better to my ears :smashin: