1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Eggs & Rel Sub ??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mrmcdean, Mar 11, 2004.

1. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Can you save me some time and money ??

Ive only got a small lounge (approx. 12 x 12) and I need to get a smaller speaker pakage as we have a baby due in a couple of weeks.

Im looking at the Kef 1005 setup because of the cost but ideally would like to go for the 2005's because of the better sound, problem is I cant afford to get the whole 2005.2 setup inc sub.

Ive noticed when reading through other threads that some people seem to have added the Kef Eggs to a different make of sub. I managed to bag a fantastic REL Strata sub some time ago and am loathed to get rid of it, could I just buy 5 Kef eggs and hook them up to the REL ??

Is this even possible and if it is would it sound OK ? as I keep reading about speaker packages being matched with the sub, how would I go on with music, my Tannoy M3s handle the stereo stuff fine but I appreciate that the Kefs may need some help with the bass.

Sorry if this has been asked before or if im just being dense, I was under the impression that these Sub / Sat packages could only be used as a complete set ?!

Thanks in advance:rolleyes:

Perhaps I should mention that I got the REL secondhand and so dont really know what all the knobs do on the back, ive really just set it up by ear !!:suicide:

2. life sucks

life sucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    funny, i just spoke to one guy (student and family friend) who has done very simmilar thing, using cheap denon amp.
    if i get a chance to listen to it i will drop you a note but it might take sometime.
    he seems to be very satisfied, and i see no reason why you could not match any speakers to rel subs

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I suggest that you stop going wherever you read that speaker packages should be matched with the sub in case the rest of their advice is equally poor.

Any "real" subwoofer should be able to work well with any set of normal satellite speakers and the better the subwoofer, the better the overall sound will be.

The Rel Strata is an excellent subwoofer and will work very well with the KEF satellites. Beg, borrow or buy an SPL meter to make sure that all of the speakers and subwoofer are set up with the correct levels and enjoy possibly a better setup than if you had bought the matching KEF sub

4. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks very much to both of you for responding so quickly, things seem to be looking up on the AV front in that case although my brother wont be happy as he was going to get the REL sub as well as the speakers.

I guess I just assumed that on these small sub / sat packages all of the speakers ran through the sub (im sure ive seen ones that do), ive heard the kef 2005.2 setup but at the time didnt think to ask about connecting it all up.:suicide:

Thanks again