1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Eggs or Kef Q1's which is better

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by naturally, Apr 28, 2002.

1. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am planning to get the Denon 3802, I already booked one.

I have the option of buying the Kef Egg's or 3 pairs of Kef Q1+Kef PSW1000 Sub. I can afford either, but can I justify the higher price of the Q1's by the higher quality ? is it really that much better ?

Also,

I know that the PSW1000 is too low powered, but this is all I can afford if I opt for the Q1's. I know that within a few months, I will probably buy a decent Sub. The question is, can I make use of the PSW1000 with a better Sub, or will I have to throw it away. Alternatively, is it feasible to buy the Q1's without a Sub for now, and to go for a Sub when I can afford a proper one ?

Any and all responces will be appreciated.

I am really :confused: confused.

:confused:

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the Q1's, they are far better than the eggs and are in fact cheap for what they are IMO.

Regarding subwoofer info. Go for a used REL Q100. These go for around 300 pounds when you can get one and is ideal with the Q1's. Have a regular look at the hardware classifieds section of this forum

Eric

3. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Unc,

Thanks for replying.

I was initially inclined to go for the REL Sub, but was put off by the discussions on this forum about the humming noise from the REL Subs.

Is'nt there a problem with the REL Subs ?

Will the Q1 function well as a centre speaker ?

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    There was a problem with the Q150, but by all acounts REL have fixed the problem by installing a switch on the rear of the sub. The REL "ST" range is superb, if not with slightly inflated prices. If you are going to get a different sub anyway, then the PS1000 looks to be a false economy. It isn't underpowerd, by the way. The PS1000 is subjectivly more powerful (though not in the lowest frequencies) than my REL Storm III.

I also think the Q1 is the better speaker, and easily worth the extra. The Q1 should make an excellent centre, because of the uni-q design, though I would still rather have the more clear centre.

Russell

5. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

OK, I decided on the three pairs of Q1 that are recommended by everyone. The REL Sub will require another revision of my budget :blush: , but they seem to be worth it.

I am waiting for a quote for the Q200E, but the quote for the Q150E was not very bad.

One last question, I hope it is the last, is how can I recognise the old Q series Subs ? You mentioned a switch at the back of the Sub, what does it look like ?

Thanks

6. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Let me know how you get on - I'm going to go the same route as you hopefully sooner than later..I've got a Paradigm PDR10 sub at the minute due to a limited budget at the time..but may upgrade in the not too distant future..it's quite a competent sub and is at a bargainous price but it does struggle with anything that little bit demanding..anyway, hope you enjoy your purchase & hopefully hear how you get on soon...all the best

berth;)