1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF EGGS or Bookshelfs ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by titanax, Jan 21, 2002.

1. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to your feedback, I am looking into the KEF EGGS, but can someone explain the difference between satellite speakers (the Eggs are satellite rite?) and, well non- sats !

Since space is a primary concern...and well a major constrain, the biggest I can go is bookshelf speakers.

Do bookshelfs sound better than satellites? Bass-wise? How about freqency? Or am I trying to compare an apple with a pear ?!

I am a newbie here...please advise. :confused:

2. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Satellite speakers carry treble and mid range frequencies only so they come with a seperate subwoofer to do the bass. this means they are usually very small. Bookshelf speakers are small full range speakers that (as the name suggests) are well suited to being placed close to a wall. As you are posting on a home cinema forum I guess that it what you are looking to create - so AUDITION the kef eggs at a local dealer and ask for some advise about any other speakers they could recommend.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi again!

How about considering 5 x Kef Q15´s all around (or 6 if you get an amp with a rear centre channel) and a Rel subwoofer.

The Q15´s are great and having them all round would give you a perfect tonal match and seemless sound panning from speaker to speaker.

They also do the business with music as well.

They are available quite cheaply now (150 quid a pair) and Rel subwoofers are available for about 500-600 quid (Rel q200).

Cheers

4. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again!

You feedbacks have been a great help! I'd decided that this is the system I wan to put together.

KENWOOD AMP+RECEIVER KRF-X7775D-S
    PHILIPS DVD-Q50
    KEF KHT2005.

The Kenwood is quoted for surround:180W X5. My promary concern, is the amp too powerful for the eggs?

thankx

5. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    In a word ....no

You mentioned you have a small room - the Eggs will be fine. Some companies still quote some exaggerated figures for power and I think Kenwood may be guilty here. Check the THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) % at 180W and I'm guessing you will find it's pretty high (which is bad)

At normal and high levels the Kenwood / Kef package will sound fine

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you select the crossover frequency on the Kenwood ?

If not, you would be better with another with that feature, for instance the Denon 2802, because the eggs don´t really go down to 80 hz, so they sound much better with an higher crossover, 100 or 120 hz...

7. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    errr.....can you explain the term crossover frequency ? & well what it actually does?

My TV area measures 2.5M (breadth), 4.9M (length), it is a rather narrow room but thats what I got. The TV close to breadth-end wall and is about 2.6 m away from the couch. I don't know if I should ceiling mount the surrounds just behind the couch or wall mount them to the other breadth-end

Based on this, is the set up I suggested too powerful or should I settle for something less powerful ?

KENWOOD AMP+RECEIVER KRF-X7775D-S
    PHILIPS DVD-Q50
    KEF KHT2005.

please advise :(

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having more power means less distortion, not necessarily lowder...

The crossover will split the sound frequencies in lows to the subwoofer, and the rest to the other speakers.

So it should only send to the speakers frequencies they can handle. Even though the eggs will play down to 80 hz (the standard crossover frequency), they don´t have much energy at frequencies under 120 hz, and this will affect the quality of the sound some...

9. chiwan

chiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lowrider

I have the kef eggs and denon 3802. I have set the crossover to 80 hz for the speakers with the same for the sub. Should I change both to 120 hz - will it make the combo sound better in your opinion?

Cheers

10. dbloor

dbloor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the kef eggs and denon 3802. I have set the crossover to 80 hz for the speakers with the same for the sub. Should I change both to 120 hz - will it make the combo sound better in your opinion?

Forget his opinion - in the nicest possible way :D
    Whats wrong with your own?
    Go and fiddle.....

For the record my 3802 and Eggs sound best with Xover at 120

Cheers

D

11. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    D,

You said it all... ;)

12. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks like this thread is moving out of speakers and going into amps and receivers...iv'e posted a reply there for COMMON and LOWRIDER

;)