1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef eggs mk2 / VM1's / little Pioneers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Cool-hand, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

Does anybody own or heard the little Pioneer S V50K sub sat package? (I think thats the correct model number)! Their very small black sat speakers with a silver band across the middle.

I recently heard the B&W VM1's and was very impressed. Very very impressed. I had the good fortune to make a direct comparison against the old Kef eggs and the difference was BIG! The VM1's had a much bigger sound and made the old eggs sound small and tinny. The vm's have a larger cabinet volume which clearly helps with the bass.

The assistant there however told me he installed the new mk2 eggs that morning at a private address and said that they bettered the VM1's!?!

I will when I have time (and soon I hope) try the new kef mk2 speakers, as im sure they have improved the sub no end, but to stake they "blow the VM1's away" is bold indeed. This shop i called into to demo the speakers (and it is a big independant retail chain) said they would also price match Creative-Audio on the eggs mk2 as well. Just as well as Im 300 miles plus from their store and Kef will not allow their dealers to mail order products.

PM me if you want to know the store im talking about, They have a store in most large towns.

Comments on the little Pioneer and others mentioned here would be most welcome.

Thanks

Snowman.

2. binky

binky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I demoed the Mk1 Eggs against the VM1s and thought they were noticeably inferior - I thought they sounded rather tinny and too directional in comparison.

I've been very pleased with my VM1s - they go surprisingly low.

I didn't get to hear the Mk2s - the improvement would have to be pretty dramatic though...

3. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am currently going through the same choices, binky - what sub are you using with the VM1's or (as a short term measure) are they useable without a sub?

4. binky

binky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the VM1s without a sub for a few weeks, and they were certainly acceptable.

I'm now using the VM1s with a Quake, powered with a Pioneer VSX-D912 receiver.

I'm using the REL high-level connection with the two fronts and low-level connection for LFE.

Sounds pretty good to me, and looks rather neat too...

5. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought the VM1's with the B&W ASW675 sub and whilst a little pricy I would put it up against any other sat package!!

I demo'd the Keff mk1's and the mk2's and the mk2's were a vast improvement!!! Way better sub and they have also improved the sats a lot as well!!

I would say that if it was a straight choice between the KEF MK2's and the VM1 package (with the AS1 sub) I would probably have gone with the KEF's. There is a £200 price difference and I couldnt really have justified it!

I found the VM1 sats to be quite a lot better than the MK2's but the sub was better with the MK2's which meant that to my ears the over all MK2 package did sound slightly better.

Now when I listened to the VM1's with the upgraded ASW675 sub there was no other choice for me! They competely blew everything else out of the water! I know it ended up costing me twice as much as the MK2's (bit painful from an original budget of £500 for the MK1's!!) but once I had heard them there was no way I could go for anything else!

I would always have been wondering 'what if......' and for me that would have meant I would have sold the MK2's at a loss and bought the VM1's anyway!

Hope this helps??

6. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    binky/supernosh - on balance I think the KEF's are the better value for money choice for me and more wife friendly

7. binky

binky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Depends on the wife of course. Mine didn't like the look of the Kefs...

8. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    very true binky - mine likes them on the stands more than the VM1's on stands (and this will be required of either) so hopefully everyone is happy