Kef Eggs from 2004 - Still good by today’s standards?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by stuhyde, Feb 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. stuhyde

stuhyde
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    So yesterday, my Kef sub from this set decided to give up the ghost, so looking at replacing it with something like an XTZ 12.17.
    Now I still find the eggs great quality, but would I notice any noticeable improvement if I was to upgrade say the 3 front speakers and keep the 2 rears as the Eggs without spending thousands?
    AVR is a Denon AVR-X2300W.
    Thanks!

2. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +629
    Depends what you compare to them and does your room/placement suite larger ones. There is old threads were the usual recommendation route has been from eggs to Q serie Kef`s. You could look for 2nd hand Q100/Q300 and matching center Q200c/Q600c or the floorstanders (Q500/700) if your room allows. Should be noticeable upgrade if you can place them some what "optimally" in your room, that means not pushed near each other in some corner. Notice the new Q-serie costs 1080£ (LCR), so the old serie would give you better bang for buck if you can find them cheap used.

By all means start with subwoofer first. It will make big difference to whole system and then you don`t have to think about it later. You can always go to any Kef dealer and demo the new Q serie to give you some idea.

@dollag has owned eggs, Q`s and higher serie. Question - Would I hear much of an upgrade?

3. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +702
    You would yield very nice gains by upgrading your LCR to the new Q range or even the older Q range, especially with 2 channel music if thats any good for you. With the r range, i'd recommend getting a new avr.

The 3000 series imo are still a great speaker by today's standard. Kef's uniQ does an amazing job of creating an immersive sound stage with it's single source point.

I actually played about with my LS50's prior to selling them and used them as rears in place of my 3005's and in all honesty was underwhelmed as there was not a massive improvement. Maybe this was due to space constraints but still showed me that the 3005's were a very good speaker.

The xtz is a lovely sub and i am sure you wlll be happy with it. i am planning on 2 of these for a dedicated room

4. mineisapint

mineisapint
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the same eggs and my Kef sub packed in a few years back, apparently a common fault. I replaced that with a BK XLS200MK2 and it blends in great with the little eggs. Both music and movies sound fantastic, i have absolutely no need to change the eggs.

If i were you, i'd just change the sub.

5. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +629
    @dollag

Also thinking that @stuhyde has probably first (?) eggs would those be 1005 (3" drivers and sealed cabinet) series, if from 2004 as he mentioned?
    1005 / 1005.2 -> 2005 / 2005.2 -> 3005, so the jump to Q serie should be really noticeable as even the jump between first eggs to much newer were easy to spot for many guys out there. Q100 or Q500 + Q200c combo wouldn`t break bank either if one can find those in good shape..

6. matty87

matty87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Kef eggs are always good to keep as they are great for surround and rear surround and yes you would notice a difference if you went from kef eggs to the q series I did now have the q500 and q200c for fronts

7. stuhyde

stuhyde
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just had a look and they are the 2001 Kef Eggs (SP3327).
    Thanks for the replies! :smashin:

Just trying to find a XTZ 12.17 and none in stock here or Sweden :eek:

8. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    You can use the Eggs as surrounds for a progressive upgrade. I used 3005 Eggs as surrounds for about a year when I upgraded to KEF R100/200C for the fronts and they did a geat job in the short term having now been replaced by the 100s as they themselves have now been replaced by R300s. An easy upgrade pathway. If you replaced the front three with Q100/200C that would give a big improvement over the front soundstage.

The R Serie would require an upgrade in receiver to get the very best out of them.

9. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +702
    @gibbsy said it nicely, the upgrade path for their speaker range, especially from satellite to full range is seamless to say the least and is much part down to their uniQ signiture sound.

@Gasp3621 I did not realise apologies :blush:

I am not a fan of the 1000 series. I generally thing they are rather poor in comparison to their competition in a 5.1 config, especially the centre but my dad had a pair from ages ago and uses them for atmos and they sound great. I feel they struggle at louder volumes but for hughts they seem to do the trick.

Even against the 2000's eggs the 3000's eggs are a nice upgrade so going to for say q100's and a q200 would transform the front soundstage:smashin:

10. stuhyde

stuhyde
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Found a 12.17 :)
    Should be a decent upgrade going from 125W to 500W and an 8" to a 12" cone :D

11. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    Exactly the same setup here in a 6.1 configuration and more than happy with them.

Martin.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  12. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +629
  13. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +702
  14. stuhyde

stuhyde
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the tag, but after spending £600 this month on a sub, I need to make do with what I have for now.
    I’d maybe have took a look if it wasn’t a 320 mile round trip, but I’m also always dubious about buying 2nd hand AV stuff.
    :smashin:

15. blueray22

blueray22
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi what speaker cable do you use for kef eggs

16. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +629
    Just get some OFC cable from Amazon. Example this from KabelDirekt ;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirek...964937&sr=8-3&keywords=ofc+speaker+cable&th=1

You can choose the lenght (15,30,50meters) and thickness (1,5mm2 or 2,5mm2) depending how long runs you are going to do. 2,5mm2 is probably most popular size.

Here is white option (10-50meters AWG13);

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AWG-13-Cop...r=1-2&keywords=2,5mm2+ofc+speaker+cable+white