1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF eggs frequency gap

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by magnatom, Jul 22, 2002.

1. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,

I recently got a hold of a copy of Avia (great disk) and decided to test my set up. I was happy with everything except when I did a frequency sweep test on my speakers (KEF eggs and sub).

I found there was a dip in volume around the 100Hz frequency of around 5-10dB.
    I have my sub set with its crossover at 120Hz, but I am wondering if it is my receiver that is causing this dip (Marantz sr5200) as I know it has a fixed LFE crossover of 100Hz. Do you think this is the case?

Anyone know if there is a way to solve this or is upgrade my only option? :confused:

Thanks

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Hi

Seems to me that its the crossover on the amp being too low. Might be worth checking with other Kef egg owners but I´m sure a few of them have the amps crossover set at 120hz.

3. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmmm. I had a feeling it might be the amp crossover that was causing the problem. Would it be possible to solve this problem by setting the KEF eggs to large thus playing frequencies down to their own cutoff. This would at least partially fill the gap. Would it cause any damage to the Eggs sending the lower frequencies to them or would there be any other cons?

If is is safe I might give it a go tonight and try the frequency sweep with it.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    By setting all the speakers to large, the only bass info that will go to the sub is the .1 LFE channel, so more than likely you´ll lose all your bass presence as the Eggs certainly can´t produce much (if any) bass below 80hz (according to their specs).

I would try playing around with the position of the subwoofer and the phase control (if it has one) to see if that gives any improvement. I would´nt set all the speakers to Large to be honest, you´re likely to lose more than you gain and the Eggs are´nt designed to be set to large in the first place.

5. Ron Locke

Ron Locke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Why not set the cut-off frequency to 80Hz on your processor/amp?. This is the natural cut-off for the satellites, and the sub will take care of the rest.....
    We have taken a lot of time and effort in getting this system to integrate properly, so it surprises me to hear that you are missing some crucial lower mid frequencies.

Conclusion:
    Leave the sats set to small, reduce the cut-off to 80Hz, set the frequency dial (on the sub) to flat, and (depending on room size) turn the level dial to half way.

Or:

Connect the sub directly from the main L/R speaker outputs on the amp/processor using the high level inputs (speaker terminals). This will introduce the built in crossover that is deliberatly set to crossover at 80Hz between the bass and sats.
    Though this is only relevant for the front L/R channels, you should notice good frequency integration.

Hope this resolves your problem...

Best Regards

6. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ron,

Nice to see that KEF is willing to help its customers out over the forums :).

The problem is that my Marantz has a fixed internal crossover set at 100Hz. I can't change that. (Didn't know this when purchasing it, oops!)

I think I will first try what Jase has suggested,i.e. moving the sub. At the moment it is behind a sofa so that might be absorbing some of the Bass.

Otherwise I will try your suggestion of connecting the L/R speaker outputs to the sub. I assume this would work best with stereo material.

Obviously I use the system for both movies and music, so would it be ok to have both the high and low level outputs connected at the same time? Or would this just cause output level problems.

Thanks for your help

7. Ron Locke

Ron Locke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave,

You can run them both in parallel, providing the following.

When you listen to music (CD's) the Marantz is set to Stereo, which I guess is what you do already.

When you watch/listen to multi channel formats, DVD's etc, the Marantz is set to Digital/Pro Logic.

The reason for this is:
    When the Marantz is set to DD/PL all the bass frequency comes from the LFE (sub-out) pre amp stage (signal only).

When you listen to 2-channel (CD's) all the frequencies come from the main L/R outputs (powered signal).

Stick with this and all will be OK.

Best Regards