1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kef eggs.... do i need plugs on the speaker wire?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by RonBurgundy, Aug 24, 2005.

1. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    those of you with kef eggs.... do you connect your speaker wire to the terminals with a plug or by bare wire?

2. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I don't have eggs, but I would assume that whatever speaker you have the thoughts on the subject are the same.

Plugs look neater [if that matters] and if you're one who is forever connecting and disconnecting speakers and changing their position then the ease of plugs make sense. Otherwise I reckon that bare wire will connect better.

Could anyone tell the difference sonically? I doubt it. Save a few quid and do the bare wire.

3. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    throw them kefs away ,aweful speakers. go for acoustic energy instead, ae109's on the front, agis one center and rear

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Mike...how many times do you need to be asked not to offer advice in the form of telling people to "throw their gear away".

Since the OP already has a set of Kefs,why not offer him some helpful advice pertinent to the original question....such as,bare wire is OK,but plugs will offer a more reliable,longer lasting and convenient connection.

5. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the wire will make no difference at all with any speaker. if someone is fiddling with there system then they are not happy. a friend of mine had them kef's, jesus christ they are dull sounding, sapped all the emotion out of the disc's.
    put them on flea bay and buy a set of acoustic energy's, ae109's are the best u can get for the money, i had a set and i tried every monitor audio speaker, most b&w's, most missions, quad's, and them acoustic energy's were something else. they weigh a ton as well, they don't make them anymore, go on flea bay and pick a set up cheaply, no body knows how good they are, so u can get them for a good price

6. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in fact i wish i hadn't sold them but i moved here to sweden and couldn't bring them. they are one of hifi's true stars, a truely amazing product, and i only paid £300 for them brand new, i would say there is not a speaker under 2 grand that get's anywhere near them.
    the truth hurts i know but i am the type who gives an honest opinion i'm affraid

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You may like to think of "your opinions" as "the truth" if you are that shortsighted but unfortunately your opinions are just that. Whilst a forum is all about discussing a range of opinions, those egotistical enough to believe that their opinions carry more weight than everyone else's tend to be unwelcome here.

8. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amen to that

smiders29

As far as I know, the reasoning behind using banana plugs is to have a greater surface area contact with the speaker terminal which in theory should improve performance. Another reason I know of is that speaker wire terminated with good banana plugs reduces the likelyhood of the wire corroding over time. IMO I'm not sure if it will make an audible difference.

9. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    thanks to those with question related replies!!!

not so much thanks for those slating my choice... i am more than happy and thats what matters to me as its my system!

mom always said...opinions are like a%seholes...everybody has them its just some of us keep them to ourselves!
    lol!!

cheers anyway guys looks as though im gona go bare to start with!