1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF Eggs + Denon 3802 - can I use banana plugs?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by phoTToniq, Oct 16, 2002.

1. phoTToniq

phoTToniq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I am a total newbie and in my confusion I bought some equipment which seems to be a popular choice. I know this is the wrong way to go about things and I should have auditioned but I got impatient and ordered the stuff without thinking/trying it out first :blush: Ooops.

Now - what I have bought is a set of Kef Eggs and a Denon 3802 amp. Should I/can I use banana plugs when connecting the speaker cable? I am a complete audio newbie so if im asking a nonsensical question please tell me.

I know the eggs are less musical then other speakers but these will be used 80% of the time for home cinema. 10% of the time they will be used to play my mum's crappy recordings (mostly casettes - maybe the odd CD). 10% of the time they will be used for regular cd's - r&b and chart music.

Cheers,
    phoTToniq.

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can use Banana Plugs - you will need to pop out the little plastic plugs that are fitted to the binding posts for protection first.

The benefits of using banana plugs is much less straightforward - the main one being for convenience. Do a search on this subject as there have been numerous threads discussing this issue.

3. Rigid

Rigid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just sticking my head around the door to say that I dispute the view that the Kef Eggs aren't musical. I'm not deaf and I like good hi fi and from what I've heard the Eggs can play a tune very nicely indeed. They may not be expensive and they' re certainly not large, but they don't deserve the knocking they frequently get. You've bought some good kit.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    As has been said, there is no reason why you can't use banana plugs, but at the end of the day it is yet another connection between speakers and amp. They are very convenient on the 3802 though as all the binding posts are close together, and if you have got short and fat fingers like me then it makes connecting much easier. But there again this is something that you will only be doing once, so IMHO I think it is better to connect the cables directly.

You pay your money and take your choice:)

Mark.

5. Droogie 2001

Droogie 2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Apologies for the slight change of thread but 'phoTToniq' may interested...
    As I play a lot of music CD’s (as well as DVD’s) on my Kef eggs it is nice to hear for a change that someone is complementing the KEF eggs. Regarding - Rigid's post
    Last year the Eggs were all of the rage and people could not speak highly enough of them.
    Now that there is a new kid on the block the ‘Gallo Nucleus’ the Kef eggs seemed to get slated all of the time!
    I know I am being biased here as I have the Eggs and a Denon 3802 (which is also starting to get slated recently) but I have heard both of them and the Gallos did not sound much better. Maybe slightly sweeter but it was running on a Lexicon MC12 processor!

Now I know times move on and its good see and hear improvements but the quality after 12 months has not radically improved in the way lots of the posting recently suggests.
    The only perhaps weak area on the KEF’s is the sub, but even then it still has a lot of punch.
    There was a review in the highly respected Hi-fi News about 2 months ago and this reviewed 2 Kef eggs and the sub and the review was very favourable.
    I know this will probably result in a lot of disagreement or flaming but people who have kit and not just the KEF eggs that are now considered to be poor after a few months know what I am saying and how I am feeling.
    :mad::rolleyes:

6. Ryan

Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 3802 and Eggs and they sound reallly good. The sub is the weak link but i'm going to change that.

It seems it is the nature of things that when new equipment comes out, the old stuff gets slated so the new stuff wil sell.

A classic case of this was the Pioneer A400 amp which cost £400. When it was released everyone raved about it and they even compared it to an amp costing £100,000 and said it was almost s good. Low and behold within a year it was being slated by all.
    Funny how valves amps and vinyl are making a comeback after both were slated in the eighties.

7. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    What Hi Fi have done the same thing. There was a time when the 3802 was mentioned in every issue. Now since the Sony VA555ES has been released and they consider it better than the 3802 (for some reason), they hardly mention the 3802 at all. As if overnight the product became worse than before.

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don´t do this already, try setting the xover on the Denon to 120hz, (sub must be close to front speakers), sound will be fuller, nicer for music particularly...

They are as nice as last year, there will always be something better...

9. mudan

mudan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Pioneer cost £230 when it came out and is still an excellent piece of equipment. The equipment with which it probably was used with at the time would most likely not have done it justice.
    Something which I also did and marked the Pioneer down at the time when I compared it with amps that came out a year later which seemed to sound better (e.g. Technics SU-A700), but in fact the only thing clouding the truth were the limitations of the source and speakers.

I have recently discovered this when I tried my old A400 against my NAD C370 driving a pair of Mission M74s.

Outcome ? I may be selling my NAD.

10. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    <fuddy duddy>
    Yeah but nothing sounds musical with chart music!!
    </fuddy duddy>