• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

kef eggs, any good for stereo?

Hi, looking to downsize my diamond 10.1 due to a house move. Wondering if the kef eggs would be any good running off an integrated amp, obviously with no sub as I'm guessing the eggs don't work like the bose acoustimass and are just a normal 5.1 setup?

Sent from my Desire HD using AVForums

sputs40

the kef eggs will not be very good just as a stereo pair you would need a sub your not going to get much bass from them

Thanks, I had a feeling that might be the case. Don't suppose you know of anything small that could do the job and at around 150

sputs40

Thanks, I had a feeling that might be the case. Don't suppose you know of anything small that could do the job and at around 150

not sure are you looking for something smaller then 10.1s if your not going to have room for small speakers what about a good pair of headphones saying that the 10.1 dont take up a lot of room

Yeah, I was considering the bose acoustimass just because its small and pretty cheap used. I know they don't get the best reviews around here but I have some of their headphones and have to say I like them more than my grado sr60 ones.

sputs40

Yeah, I was considering the bose acoustimass just because its small and pretty cheap used. I know they don't get the best reviews around here but I have some of their headphones and have to say I like them more than my grado sr60 ones.

you could look for some cheap kef eggs and a sub they would be better then bose . i have 3 kef eggs and a kef sub i was thinking about selling soon

a8ch

Imo you need to stick to a two way system, with a 100mm bass/mid a minimum. With similar needs I eventually compromised with the JBL Control 1's. You also have the QA1010 which is a similar size. Although the 1010 was the better build/looking the C1's sounded better for me, so do listen. Also remember the better the amp the better they will shine. You may find some Lektor ones at that price but I suspect they will be the same size as your 'dales.

a8ch said:
Imo you need to stick to a two way system, with a 100mm bass/mid a minimum. With similar needs I eventually compromised with the JBL Control 1's. You also have the QA1010 which is a similar size. Although the 1010 was the better build/looking the C1's sounded better for me, so do listen. Also remember the better the amp the better they will shine. You may find some Lektor ones at that price but I suspect they will be the same size as your 'dales.

Thanks I'll see if I can get a listen to some jbl speakers. Don't know why but something about the qa bothers me, im yet to hear them but I just don't warm to them. Silly really. The amp I have now is a Cambridge audio a5. Nothing too ground breaking but I enjoy it.

KUBBY

If you like Wharfedale,would the 10.0 be worth looking at? They will do better than the Eggs.

K.

Sent from my 6 year old Toshiba satellite Pro using Chrome.

moss

Jbl control 1 pro (135mm speaker) sound brilliant - give these a go. I think they are around £120 a pair.

Cheers mark.

PSM1 said:
A lot of subs have high level inputs so you could use a sub with your stereo amp without an issue.

Ah that I didn't know. Could you explain it a bit for me? Sorry I'm on my mobile and Google searching is too painful

moss said:
Jbl control 1 pro (135mm speaker) sound brilliant - give these a go. I think they are around £120 a pair.

Cheers mark.

Are the control one the same as the control one pro?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Ah that I didn't know. Could you explain it a bit for me? Sorry I'm on my mobile and Google searching is too painful

Basically they use the speaker level connections. Some will have the speaker cables going into the sub and then from the sub to the speakers while others will have the sub wired in parallel with the speakers (so the sub and the speakers connect to the same speaker outputs on the amp).

PSM1 said:
Basically they use the speaker level connections. Some will have the speaker cables going into the sub and then from the sub to the speakers while others will have the sub wired in parallel with the speakers (so the sub and the speakers connect to the same speaker outputs on the amp).

Ok I'm with you. Thanks for that, didn't think that was possible. Could you recommend any subs or brands to look at? Cheers.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
BK Electronics do a good range of subs at great prices. If these are a little expensive then the Wharfedale SW150 is worth a look as well.

a8ch

Are the control one the same as the control one pro?

The main differences, the pro are 4 ohm and has a polycarbonate dome tweeter, the standard one is 8 ohm and has a titanium dome tweeter. Interestingly the pro touts a 135mm driver yet the cabinet dimensions of both are identical in the specs?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom