KEF Eggs and M&K speakers

crackazz

Standard Member
Hi all,

I've been looking for surround speakers to replace my Missions and liked the look of the KEF 3001se speakers but trawling the pages here found lots of praise for M&K K17 + K4's.

Haven't found anywhere that sells them and the reviews are very old ~2002. Are they still made? if not what are their replacements?

Are the KEFs as good as them now?

Will be partnering them with a BK XLS300

Thanks in advance for any opinions :thumbsup:

Bald Monkey

Novice Member
Don't think they're still made as such, but a cracking combination :smashin: :D :smashin:

Check out this review of the 'replacements'

MK Sound M Series Home Theatre Speaker Package at AVForums.com

New M&K's can be purchased from here..

http://www.hifix.co.uk/shop.lasso?shop=MILLER and KREISEL

PM Dav1dF for more details or contact them directly..

Or

Gecko Inc - Home cinema and home audio experts

PM Rob Sinden for more details..

And if you're very very lucky :D you might find some on here

Speaker & Subwoofer Classified Adverts - AVForums.com

:smashin:

crackazz

Standard Member
They sound v.good although a little more than the few hundred I was thinking of spending on the KEFs.

What's the K7 like in comparison to the M7?

Are the M4T really the cheapest rears they do :eek::eek:

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
What's the K7 like in comparison to the M7?

Are the M4T really the cheapest rears they do :eek::eek:
The nearest you'll get to the K7 package now would be somehting like the K17/KX12 package, which are the same as the K7 but with the HF unit from more expensive M&K's. At £550, this is cheaper than the KEF's, and will far outstrip their movie abilities, albeit in not quite such a good looking cabinet - although I prefer a box speaker to fancy shapes myself when it comes to sub/sat systems. The only thing is, is that they're a 4ohm load, requiring a better then entry level amp to get the best from them. Something like a Yamaha 1900, Onkyo 876 (maybe even an 806), or a Denon 2809 would be ideal, although you may get away with something like a Yamaha 863 if you use them at more neighbour friendly volumes.

The M series will be better, but at a cost, in this case, about a grand more. Value for money comes down on the K17 package, but out and out quality belongs to the M series, a more recent M&K design.

The M4T's are now M&K's entry level tripoles, but then these are designed to go with their entry level M Series, as the K series is now discontinued.

crackazz

Standard Member
Hi David, thanks for the replys

The amp I have is a Pioneer LX60 so will that be ok? it's ok running my 6ohm Mission 782's so will the M7s draw much more from it.

I must admit I leaning towards the M7s because I too prefer the look of a normal speaker, the KEFs look like PC speakers to me but I was willing to overlook if the quality was good.

I see the M&Ks are in a different league though when talking about sound quality.

Just one thing... Being quite small monitors in comparison to the Missions 782 + 77c combination I currently have, will they still have such a full sound?

thxs JC

R

recruit

I see the M&Ks are in a different league though when talking about sound quality.

Just one thing... Being quite small monitors in comparison to the Missions 782 + 77c combination I currently have, will they still have such a full sound?

thxs JC

When matched with a good sub yes, any of the M&K subs are fantastic and match them perfectly !!

crackazz

Standard Member
When matched with a good sub yes, any of the M&K subs are fantastic and match them perfectly !!

So my XLS3000 will be fine then :)

My concern was these little speakers would sound weedy in comparison to the big 782's but I'm looking forward to ordering them tonight!! :thumbsup:

R

recruit

So my XLS3000 will be fine then :)

My concern was these little speakers would sound weedy in comparison to the big 782's but I'm looking forward to ordering them tonight!! :thumbsup:

Not sure never heard the BK, infact did not know they did a 3000?

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
Hi David, thanks for the replys

The amp I have is a Pioneer LX60 so will that be ok? it's ok running my 6ohm Mission 782's so will the M7s draw much more from it.

thxs JC
Sorry JC, didn't see your reply....

The LX60 amp, being THX Select 2 will be fine for the M Series :)

They may not quite sound as full as your floostanders, but the amount of detail they'll uncover will be quite marked.

crackazz

Standard Member
Hi all...

have them setup (MK M7s) and running for a few weeks now, they're great!! (well of course I'd say that after paying ££ for them ;) )

seriously though very impressed with them

couple of q's for the more knowledgeable out there...

Whats the ideal distance they should be apart? sitting 3ms from them mounted on the wall.

Got them mounted about 1m from the floor and wondered should the tweeter be at the top or bottom at this height?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
The HF unit being a metre off the floor should be fine :)

Distance between the speakers isn't too important. Ideally, the left and right should sit at the edge of the screen when used with a projector, but can be set wider if needed. They still work extremely well when placed close together, so don't worry about trying it. If you're using a TV, you can experiment on how far apart to put the left and right. There are no rules really, so try near to the screen and then try much further away and see what differences you perceive.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-S60A + LG SP8YA soundbar & KEF LS50 Wireless II Reviews: Movie & TV Show News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom