1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF Eggs 2005.2 - Back up to £799 on Creative

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by wozwebs, Sep 19, 2003.

1. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I'm after a black set of these so just went to check the price on Creative Audio's website where these have been priced at £649 for ages and saw that they are now back up to £799 :confused:

Do you think KEF have been alerted and enforced a fixed price of £799 on these? It seems they are bundling it with some quality speaker wire etc. but they did that before when they were £649.

Teach me not to snap up a set when I was in Shrewsbury the other week. :lesson:

Where is the cheapest place to get them now then?

2. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Also just noted that you can still buy the 5 pods for £395 so are they seriously asking £400 for the subwoofer??

EDIT: Also spotted that thwy have this package for £890
    http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/yam440kht.htm

so for £90 you get loads of cables + a Yamaha Reciever.

Looks like they reduced the price of the eggs on their page but didn't do it for the deals.

Strange

3. steve24855

steve24855
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wozwebs
    The price of the Kef Eggs at Leading Edge Concepts is £599.95 inclusive of Postage.
    Web address is http://www.leconepts.com
    Steve

4. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Steve - cheers for that but they are the 2005.1 original version and not the new improved .2 version that has replaced it. You can get the .1 version for £499 at Richer Sounds.

5. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think you are right. Kef have definitely grabbed Creative Audio by the scruff of the neck.

However, the hot deal of £799 does include £30 of QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable and a 6m QED Qunex sub cable which is good deal.

I'd prefer the £649 price and my own choice of cable though!!

By pure co-incidence, myself and Bursar are going for a jolly to CA this morning. I put the deposit down on my eggs (minus sub) a month ago (and I think Phil did too - on the whole egg set) so I expect them to honour the original prices.

I'll have a chat with the guys and see what's going on. It's not worth me driving a 5hour round trip for the full £799 price!!

Big A

6. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I planned ahead on this one, and after paying the deposit, got them to fax me a receipt with how much I'd put down, and how much was still to pay :)

I'm not expecting any trouble, but they're gonna get it if they try and put the price up on me!

I note they've also removed the 2011+Eggs (the package Adam is going to buy) and the 1803+Egss (what I'm buying) from the hot deals page.

In fact, I couldn't see either of those receivers on their site anywhere....

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I really hate price fixing ,look and you will find its just not kef theres plenty of speakers about with no chance of a discount yet they will offer you upto £100 of speaker cable.Infact one web site said that the price had gone up because they had been told off and had to put the price up .

8. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Just got back from Creative, and they still list the KEFs as £649 in the shop.

9. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dang Phil, you beat me to it! :D

Must go set up my 2011, 7x Kef eggs and PSW3000 :clap: :clap: :clap:

10. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Good luck mate :) And cheers for the lift.

I've unpacked my 1803 and Eggs just to look at them :) They're back in the boxes now whilst I carry on stripping wall paper and preparing the room :(

11. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Did you ask why the price fixing had been demanded? Also how long do you think they will hold the £649 price?

12. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I didn't sorry. You could always give them a call.

13. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My honest opinion about CA's price is that it will continue for the forseeable future.

Bloke in front of us today bought a 2005.2 set and nothing else. No mention of a hot deal or any free QED Silver Anniversary and he paid........£649.

I think the £799 advertised price is just to satisfy Kef and CA@s competitors.

Big A

14. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    In my honest opinon the guys at Creative Audio are the best dealers you will come across. They will ALWAYS try to help you out in the best possible way. It's a shame about Kef, I really don't know how they can get away with this. The RRP on the Eggs was £800-£850, now it's £1000. Nothing justifies a price increase like that. And the fact these have been forced to £800 shows blatant price fixing. I suggest you all email your local Trading Standards and the Office of Fair Trading and complain that Kef are being anti-competitive.

15. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KEF's list price for this system is the same as the old system.
    £800 INC VAT..............

I just phoned them...

16. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Basically Kef can't order CA to increase the price. Obviously this would be illegal. What they can do though is put pressure on CA, ie, refuse to supply CA or allow them to sell CA products. This would make it in CA's best interests to increase the price. It all comes down to rival dealers refusing to go as low as CA's price and bitching about it to Kef.

17. Rory

Rory
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you ring Creative then you'll find out how much they are actually selling them for. ;)

Rory

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You would be surprised at some of the things that go on behind the scenes. A reputable company became an authorized distributor for a certain brand of subwoofer with the intention of offering them at a discount via our own Powerbuys. Another of their dealers who had been discounting the product himself got wind of this and realising the selling power that AV Forums has, complained directly to the manufacturer and managed to persuade them that discounting was no longer in their interests.

There will now be no powerbuy here of this particular product and whilst I will not publicly name them I will tell you that it is someone who's mouth makes a lot of noise complaining about the industry's restrictive practices whilst pulling strokes like this one on the quiet.

19. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Out of interest what was the product?

20. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    That sounds about right Ian, it has always puzzled me why manufacturers are happy to sell less at a high price, instead of more at a lower price, I obviously have no understanding about business.

Anyway, I am thinking of purchasing 6 eggs minus the sub & 4 stands, and wondered if anyone has any experience of price matching with their Barclaycard, as all my local dealers do not come close to Creative Audio prices. I would prefer to use C/A but it is a long way from South London.

mij

21. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Got my eggs from Creative yesterday, must say they're very helpful and the service is top class.

Oh and I got the eggs for £625 not including any cables and with £6 cashback on my credit card:clap:

22. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the concensus? Are you folks getting the eggs minus the subs, and then upgrading the sub? And if so, what to?
    Thanks.

23. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The sub with the original eggs was a bit weak but the current version sold with the updated eggs is much beefier and they should work well together.

24. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian.

25. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I've had my mk2 kEF egg's up and running for the last week or so powered by a Yamaha RXV730 and can safely say the sub is a house shaker.
    The speakers look and sound stunning but it's the sub thats the star it's a remarkable sub, on the whole i seriously doubt the 2005.2 package can be beaten for the price.
    I also got my local Sevenoakes(sheffield) to pricematch creatives £650, something they were very happy to do.

i'm one very happy kEF egg owner :smashin:

26. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks fuzzybee. Tell me, what amp/receiver are you using? And what do you mostly use your eggs for? Music, movies, both? If music, what do you think of the sound quality for CD playback?
    Cheers.
    -Wish there was a Creative Audio / Sevenoaks over here in N.Ireland. . . . ah well.

27. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I power my eggs via a Yamaha RXV730RDS receiver and use the eggs for everything i view through my plasma screen.
    I use the eggs for everyday use which usually consists of a combination of Sky digital,vcr or dvd. When the missus is out or buisy doing what women do i get chance to stick on my GC,xbox or DC.
    I also have a Arcam Diva cd62 which also sounds superb through the eggs in 2 channel mode, i can safely say anything i've thrown at the eggs so far sounds stunning(to my ears anyway)

:smashin:

28. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i have 6eggs and the sub and a denon1803, all that sounds very tight in my listening room 3.6m X 4.6m. I mainly listen to sky/dvd, although they do a good job of music, so ihave setup for mainly for video related source rather than musicm btw the xbox does sound good through it all.

watched finding nemo last night, there is some excellant scenes to show off the HT. could be on the list of DVD's to show to new firends /rels to impres them with bright colours and louds sounds

Dom

29. m000

m000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    How?

I thought the region 1 dvd was not released till November and the ones available in divx format surely dont compare?

looking forward to getting my eggs :D

30. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I've also had the Finding Nemo DVD (not DiVx, VCD, SVCD or anything else but the actual DVD disc1) on my AE100 PJ and it looks fantastic!!

Definitely one to demo to mates.