1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KEF EGG Upgrade.......

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Desticado, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've got a set of KEF eggspowered by a Denon 3802. I've been using this setup for the last 3 months nearly and im very happy with the perormance.

I currently have 5 eggs but have always planned to purchase 2 more eggs for DTS 6.1ES once I moved (which im in the middle of doing at the moment).

I've been thinking though (a dangerous thing) and was wondering if instead of buying another pair of Eggs I might do better to upgrade my Front speakers (L & R) and move the existing eggs to the back.

I dont really want to upgrade my centre speaker though (at the moment).

I was thinking about the KEF Cresta 2 or Q35.2 speakers.

Oppinions anyone?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The two speakers that you are talking about are both full range whilst the egg is only a satellite and the voice matching would probably sound very odd indeed.

If you are going to upgrade the eggs it would be better to buy a new matching centre as well.

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or try a pair of Q1s and if you don´t think it matches you can get the Q9 later...

4. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Was contemplating the full range speakers so that I could change the crossover for the LFE down to 80 (currently at 120). Sub is okay for my 'in-training' ears but I have to change the level on it between DD and DTS as DD sounds a bit boomy if not. Thought the Floorstanders would 'help' alleviate this.

Dont really want to get into 'overhauling' the speaker setup as I could see easily happening.

Was really just thinking about an easy way to move to 6.1/7.1 sound capability. I'll try and sort out a demo of the different speakers discussed here but I think I'll probably stick to buying two more eggs.

If not I can see the whole exercise becoming far too stressful for my bank account.

Regards

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right, you could get in trouble there... ;)

So here it goes another sujestion to improve your setup, get a REL Q150 sub, and try to sell yours to save a few bucks. I believe the sound will improve a lot...

Later, as you will have a sub with both high and low level inputs with separate settings you will be able to upgrade the fronts if you like...