Bargain Expired Kef egg upgrade to Kef Q

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by ahu, Dec 29, 2015.

1. ahu

ahu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just wanted to share my recent experience. I have been looking to upgrade my Kef eggs. They have been fabulous but are now in a larger room and can sound harsh when the volume is turned up. 5 years ago I upgraded the sub to a BK monolith. Wow, what a speaker. Anyway, I was in the process of saving about 2k for the egg upgrade when I came across Superfi's offer on the Kef Q series. To cut a long story short I now have two Q700 as the front speakers, a Q600 as the centre and two Q100s at the rear. What a difference. The sound now fills the room, great clarity in the top and mid range and if the Q series has any shortcomings in the bass, the monolith kicks in. The cost of these 5 speakers was £1150 against the normal retail price of £1900. The choices are limited to rosewood or white. I got the rosewood ones and even my wife likes them. Result. I'm not sure how you could do better for just over a 1k.

2. TT Coupe

TT Coupe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I saw this offer too, going to try and get richer sounds to price match

I've got the q700's at the front and was thinking of the 600C and the 300's for the rear. Do you think the 300's are the way to go? I'm thinking the 100's should be plenty but I think I might regret not going for the 300's

3. ahu

ahu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the 100s will be fine as a surround speaker. I can't see what the 300s would offer much over them. Watched the film 'Fury' last night and noticed a big improvement in the dialogue quality. The 600C is a fab speaker, just big. Make sure you check the size of it. I'm also loving the stereo sound of the 700s. Who said they lacked bass ?

4. TT Coupe

TT Coupe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree, plenty of bass from the 700's, I often don't bother with the q400 sub I've got.

Thanks for the recommendation, think I'll go with the q100 and Q600c