KEF Egg Speakers

cbas1991

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So i purchased these speakers just prior to Xmas having read the various rave reviews.

I've not been very impressed so far, got a couple of issues, KEF support initially were very helpful but have now gone dark.

I was hoping to find someone else with these speakers who might be able to clarify a couple of things for me.

- Bluetooth, i'm finding a large amount of interference in the left side speaker both during pairing and playback, it's much less noticeable from the right and exists no matter the placement. IE, if i swap them round it's still the speaker labelled L rather than physically the one on the left, (Moved round the whole house to check). I've also tried pairing them to multiple alternate devices to the same effect. Because of this interference it's un-listenable (if that's a word) over the bluetooth connection.
It's probably worth noting that there is little to no interference on my cheap Sony bluetooth headphones.

- Audible hiss on all inputs whether sound is playing or not, it's not noticeable at high volumes but at normal listening volume (they are used as desk speakers) it's clearly noticeable.

I basically wanted to confirm that no-one else was experiencing similar issues before commencing the warranty process. Of course if anyone has any alternative testing ideas then give me a shout.

Thanks in advance.

which model Kef eggs ?

EGG Wireless Digital Music System

Those ones, I strongly considered sonos as a lot of the house is already set up with them, however; i spend a large amount of time on webex ect so i need to be able to listen to audio out or equiv. Something sonos still can't do without an additional connect unless i've missed something.

which model Kef eggs ?
Have u seen these yamaha nx-n500? They seem to have everything and have good reviews.

I think your eggs r faulty and u should get a replacement?

EGG Wireless Digital Music System

Those ones, I strongly considered sonos as a lot of the house is already set up with them, however; i spend a large amount of time on webex ect so i need to be able to listen to audio out or equiv. Something sonos still can't do without an additional connect unless i've missed something.

Got a link to any of these bad reviews? I didn't find any when i was doing my research, would be interested to see if any of them cover the issues i've been having. I think i'm going to send them back for repair, see if they're any better when they returned. If not i'll probably take a look at the rourk mr2's or revisit my sonos dilema. Still interested if anyone has experienced similar issues.

Well the review I found on google shopping search was in french, translates to this:

-Its Flat and boring without sitting in the low and without magnitude. -Résonnance To 150 Hz that spoils listening. -Bluetooth Malfunctions with much noise. integrated -L'ampli causes an audible breath. -Cabled provided too short.

Thanks, that's interesting. Most of the reviews i've read praise them. However, that does cover the issues i've had. I would have expected others to have picked up on that. The cable between the two speakers is short but doesn't really affect me as there's plenty of excess for my intended use (a large desk). The bluetooth and "breath" do certainly sound familiar. Will see what else i can find out.

Thanks again.

The reviews of the kefs are not good ? Really...1 French limited review isn't research and I never found any bad reviews of these speakers. It sounds to me like you got a dodgy set so return for repair replacement as this doesn't appear to be a common issue so I think you were un lucky.
I haven't bought any but did have a good play with some and didn't get any hint of hiss on Bluetooth

Hi, i purchased a pair of Keg Egg Speakers last week and have the exact same issues reported by cbas1991. There is an audible hiss on all inputs, even at low volume, and when pairing the speakers with Bluetooth there is noticeable interference from the left speaker followed by poor performance once the speakers are paired. I am using the speakers on my iMac. Did you have any feedback from Kef support?

I emailed Kef Support twice with no reply so have sent them back to Amazon for a full refund. If Kef Support acknowledge that this is a known issue I'm prepared to purchase a new pair but as it currently stands i'll be looking to purchase Ruark Mr1 speakers.

I'm posting this comment at a late stage, but just to say that I also purchased a pair of KEF Egg Speakers to use on my iMac, and notwithstanding the hefty price tag and rave review on What Hi-Fi.com?, there is an audible hissing sound on all inputs irrespective of the volume. I disconnected the speakers from the computer and found that the hiss remains; it is coming from the speakers themselves. As an avid audiophile, a hiss from any speaker is utterly unacceptable and EXTREMELY ANNOYING!! Even connected to Audioquests' Jitterbug and DragonFly DAC, the hiss does not go away. Cannot believe that KEF could make such crap. I purchased the speakers from an authorised, accredited audiophile dealership in South Africa, where I live. Can someone suggest other high-end desktop speakers that do not have a hiss?

The hiss sounds like a volume issue to me, usually it indicates that they're turn to the maximum. It could also indicate that you have other forces at work and that the hiss is drawing interference from them.

As for alternative.

I've experienced Audio Engine Speakers and been very pleased with the audio reproductions.

So, try and have an audition for the 5+ versions. Very nice solid sounding speakers.

Regards, Shane.

Thanks Shane. Do you know whether Audioengine A2+ desktop speakers give off a hiss or static noise? Moreover, can a hiss or static in the speakers go away, as some have suggested, when the speakers are 'run in'?

Hi,

The second part of the of your question is no, the noise cannot go away, it may reduce as you get used to it, but go away, no.

With everything electrical, there will always be some form of noise, it just how it is electrical current makes a noise and if the speaker picks it up, it will be amplified a little.

I would be more inclined to think that there is some interference effecting the speakers, wifi signal, mains plugs, monitor and your speakers could just be picking those signals up hence looking at the volume on the speakers.

For testing, you should always remove the speakers away from the area you have them and plug them in somewhere else in the home to see if this reduces/removes the electrical noise being created. It could also be that the noise from the speakers could indicate that you're just unlucky and they need looking at as something may have happened to them.

Remember, you can never remove all the hiss, although if there is any, it should be at a level that really does not bother you.

As for the A2+, I cannot say I've heard any complaints of them hissing. But you need to do a little more testing at home to ensure its not just interference or volume levels

Also when using either a PC/MAC/Android based device, you should use the volume control on the speakers, not the player. This should be turned to maximum (PC/MAC/Android based device), This then enables you to reduce any possible inference levels going though the speakers while improving the audio signal from your device to the speaker. It will deliver a slightly better audio experience too as many PC/MAC/Andriod devices compress the sound when you reduce the volume unlike an amplifier which reduces the power to the speakers but keeps the information the same.

Regards, Shane.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom