Kef "Egg" Setup - How do you do it ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by PaulBoy, Jan 29, 2002.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    As a proud new owner of some Kef "Eggs" (isnt 0% credit a great thing!) I was wondering about the optimum setup for them ?
    My retailer advised wiring the eggs directly to my 3801 and connecting the sub on a phono lead (done that)
    The manual (or should that be the couple of pages of A4?) is dire but does suggest setting the sub crossover frequency to 80 (it can be adjusted from 80 to 120)
    I appreciate I can footer with it but from a technical point of view what setting sends more bass info to the speakers 80 or 120 ?
    My retailer also told me to set all speakers to small on the 3801 but by doing this there is no control over the sub crossover frequency (speaker(s) have to be set to large for access to the sub - so the manual says)
    As I have it set now sounds excellent but there is always room for improvement (as my wife is always telling me!) ...
    Any advice would be appreciated ... Paul ;)

2. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Im in the same boat m8 got mine yesterday. Ive just set all speakers to small and let the amp send frequencies from 80hz and below to sub - set in amp. Also I have turned the crossover up to 120hz just in case something is happening in order for as much bass as poss to be sent to the sub. I think this is all I can do...btw do u know what the phase adjust is used for, cant make head nor tail of the 'instructions'

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Experimentation is best - adjust the crossover from 80 to 120 to see whether the eggs or sub handle the 80 - 120 frequencies best.

Try and get hold of Terminator 2 (region 1) and use the Optimiser tests to listen to the frequency spectrum to see whether it needs adjusting.

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How do YOU eat YOURS?

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Just lightly boiled with soldiers

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You eat it with soldiers or do you boil it with soldiers?

7. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Silva ... Thanks for the "sensible" reply :D
    Cant answer your query re "Phase" & I would still like one of our M8's here to answer my query about which crossover setting send more bass to the satellites ? I know they can pump out a lot off bass even thought they are vertically challenged but I was running Metallica DVD-A through them B4 I connected up the sub and they were giving it plenty of bass !!!

8. priesh

priesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi - I also have set the speakers as small on my Yamaha RX620RDS, and so my amp sends anything below 90hz i think to the sub, but i'm not sure if this is the best way to do it - any help appreciated

Priesh

9. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your speakers are good at reproducing bass try large, if not recommend small...........only you will tell which is best.......!!

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Paul,

The higher the crossover the more bass signal will be sent to the subwoofer but if you set it too high the sub woofer will be left to cope with lower mid range frequencies that it isn't designed to handle.

I don't know what kind of speaker management is available in the Yamaha but satellite speakers should be set to small as they are not full range speakers and the upper bass is then diverted to the subwoofer.

Full range speakers ( like floorstanders ) are "large" and will handle upper bass but will still have the LFE signal diverted to the sub.

11. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    IanJ - thanks for that - I will have a footer when I get a quite afternoon!
    Paul ;)