1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kef Egg Centre Channel Change!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by coldrobba, Mar 31, 2005.

1. coldrobba

coldrobba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I currently have the Kef eggs setup with a Yammy ax750-se and poineer 444 dvd player. The Voices in some movies is not too clear and find i have to crank it right up to hear it. I wondered if something like AE Aegis Evo3 as my Centre and Front Right/Left would be better than the eggs? Any other speakers that are just as good (Floorstanders)?

Also wnating to Upgrade the dvd to Denon 2910 this might also make a difference!

Cheers

2. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The KEF Q4's and Q6C would work well with your eggs for surround.

The Q's use the same aluminium dome tweeter as the KHT2005.2

3. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I posted this but so far haven't received any replies :(

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200613

I am in the same boat as you I find even in my small room I have to crank the centre up to get any where half decent voice dialogue.

Any other viewpoints on this - is it feasible to replace just the centre?

4. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Looks like i'm in the same boat too. I'm thinking of changing just the Center to a Q6C but someone who has gone down the same route to confirm if it is worth it :lease:

I'm quite happy with the rest of the sound Vs Wife factor / Kids so would not want to replace the two fronts.

5. coldrobba

coldrobba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Having a look through these forums i can see this is a common problem people seen to be replacing the centre with either Kef Q6c or Q9c Depending on what space they have available! If going down this road i would be tempted by either the Q5 or Q7 to compliment it with, I have heard the Q7 but has anyone got the Q5's? What are they like ? Also with Music?

6. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have been looking round at the various specs on the Kefs. I can't make my mind up whats the best mix at the moment.

I'm trying to work out if I'm better spending more on XQ series rather than the Q series. The XQ-2c centre seems much more of a beast (I know its pricier) compared to the Q series centres and then maybe getting the Q series floor standers (Q7's are about half the price of the XQ floor standers).

I will be putting the centre on a new sideboard to sit underneath my PJ screen so space shouldn't be a problem. I suppose apart from potential sound issues I will have the 'looks' issue with mixing Q7 and XQ series. XQ is most likely overkill but least they will all be silver ;)

I think I'll make a decision once my room is finished and I can test the sound of the existing - I'd rather keep the £xxxx in my wallet if I can :)

7. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I was in Audio-T today demo'ing the Egg's today and interestingly they suggested I try them out with the Q6c center... so we swapped it out and watched the same scene again (a scene from Behind Enemy Lines) and the improvement was very much apparent :D

So I'd recommend he Q6c as an excellent upgrade for the center channel... it's only £50 more than the egg anyhow so it's a cheap upgrade too!

8. FaB*Bo*Peep

FaB*Bo*Peep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

9. Endeavour

Endeavour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am also planning an upgrade and currently have 7 Eggs. I have not really suffered with the muddled dialogue problem but might need to change the centre and/or fronts. No one has yet mentioned the KHT9000s. Has anyone heard the Eggs in combination with their bigger brothers?

10. coldrobba

coldrobba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    O.k i'm going to dem the Q6c and Q9c and see what happens ! I did listen to the B&W LCR600 series on the weekend and that sounded 100 times better !!! Very crisp and clear so lets see what the Kefs are like in comparison! Guess the LCR600 series is more in line with the Q6c and Q5's.

PS

What amp is everyone using with these Eggs?

11. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have potentially discounted the 9000's as for the money I would think the floorstanders and centre would be a better bet (9000's are still satellite speakers are they not? and at £500 a pop + stands they are not cheap)

Personally I'm using a Denon 3805 Amp (replaced a 3802 due to needing component upconversion).

Also has anyone seen any of these Kef centres/bookshelf/floorstanders in silver? How well does it look colour match wise to the eggs?

12. Endeavour

Endeavour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    £500 a speaker x 3 is expensive but might be worth it if it works. Keeping 7.1 and starting from scratch with something thats an upgrade from the Eggs is unlikely to comeout much less than that.

I need to stick with something wall mountable, especially for the centre (as its going to be on a central chimney breast). L & R Front could be floor standers in the alcoves but a matching centre is then more problematic. There will be a 7" wide drop down screen and speaker placement will dictate whether it has to be acoustically transparent or not. If I can avoid needing an AT screen, I can afford to spend more on the speakers.

13. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Everyone over looks it but the old Kef reference cnetres 80/90/100 etc are also worth looking at as they used to be the top of the range centres and use the uni-q drivers as well. Can be had reasonably cheap on ebay.

14. coldrobba

coldrobba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well had a look at the Q7's on the weekend , They are huge! Too big for my room & Q4's look to small, looks like i need the Q5's which they did no have in!l
    Q9c looks a good size so will be looking at getting this as my centre.

1ofaKind I saw the silver and it does look like the egg colour not much difference good match with the eggs Colour wise. Infact even the silver trim on the Q7's looks the same as the eggs. Take a look........

15. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I thought I’d add my 2pence worth. I have the Kef Q series (Q4’s; Q6c; Qcompacts) and tbh I have exactly the same problems as the ones you point out. For any action film the speakers do fine, but any kind of drama where dialogue is prevalent I have to really crank the volume control to hear anything.

I watched se7en this weekend and had to have it around 10db higher than I normally would just to make out the dialogue. Plus DD seems clearer than DTS in this respect too.

I don’t really know whether this is an amp (Yamaha 750SE) problem or centre-channel speaker problem. I really don’t know whether I should upgrade to a Q9c or try a different Kef altogether.

16. coldrobba

coldrobba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I dont think its an amp problem (750SE) I had a poineer amp before this and it was also the same! Also seen posts with people using Denon's amps and getting the same issue. Seen a few posts with the Kef Q9c been quite too!! This could be a Kef issue because i went to listen to a B&W Centre channel LCR600 series i think and it was very very clear using the 750SE amp. I would have to demo the Q9c and judge for myself!!!!

Anyone confirm if there Q9c is anygood?? If so what Amp are you using?

Also agree on Action movies its o.k but i got forced to watch BJ Dairy 2 !!! And its was bad some scenes you could hardly hear anything! Maybe Cr*p dvd transfer!

17. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    No problems here with Q4 fronts, Q6c center and a Denon AVR1804. We watched BJ Diary 2 :rolleyes: and King Arthur :( last weekend, and didn't have to adjust the centre at all. The center is set to +1 with the fronts on 0.

Balders.

18. coldrobba

coldrobba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My Front L is set to +4.5 Front R +4 and centre +3.5 all setup with a Soundmeter to 80db also tried 75db and 70db even tried the auto setup with Mic not sure what level that sets upto in default?

Wierd its only certain movies. Still gona change the centre to a Q9c ......... Q9c,Q1 and Q5 use all the same drive units din't relise that!

19. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I'd be interested in your findings once you change! :)

20. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Balders – I do think it makes a difference on the size of your room. Something I didn’t take account of when I bought mine. In fact I think the Q5’s probably would have been a better bet than the Q4’s too! :D

21. coldrobba

coldrobba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Tejstar,

I listened to the Q9c and Q1's at the weekend and bought them, The sound is a lot better i can now hear everything!!! I was thinking about getting the Q5's for the front but i dont think i need too the Q1's at the front are excellent vast improvment on them Eggs! Overall very impressed better than i thought it would sound.!

I would recommend anyone to change that centre egg out if you got problems hearing dialogue...........

22. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Simon – I’m in the process of selling my Q6c and will be buying a Q9c. My room is too big for the Q6c. Although I was measuring my rack and the Q9c seems HUGE, it’s a bit disappointing as it’ll probably look a bit odd. Oh well…

23. coldrobba

coldrobba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah it is a lot bigger than the Q6c but it managed to get it on top of my television! Not the best place but until i buy a new rack its staying there! I think you will be pleased with the difference , feel a lot happier now i sorted that issue out it was really starting to annoy me!

24. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Well it’s definitely positive news that you’ve had an improvement. Did you test some of the discs you were having problems with before? That’s the first thing I’ll be doing.

25. coldrobba

coldrobba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I tested about 3 discs so far and everything o.k!
    Any specific Dvd's you where having problems with? If i have em i'll try it!

Just wondering on Auto setup it sets the 2 fronts to Large now but the centre to small to you reckon that's right? Sounds o.k!

26. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Well the last disc I had problems with was se7en. There were others but can’t remember right now. Hopefully I’ll be getting my new centre next week – so looking forward to setting it up & seeing how it fares.

The centre on ‘small’ sounds fine. However, my Q4’s are set to small, for me it sounds better with the sub handling all the bass. Give it a try and see what you prefer. I think your Q1’s would sound better set to ‘small’

27. coldrobba

coldrobba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Unfortunately i dont own a copy of se7en! If you think of any just give me a shout. Take a trip upto Hi Spek they will give you a good deal on the Q9c they have a fair few Dark Apple in stock!

I'll try them settings tonight and see what it sounds like.

28. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Ok cheers – will give Hi-Spek a call!

29. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tejstar,

I think you'll notice a huge difference with dialogue when you upgrade your centre. I used to have the Mordaunt-Short Premiere setup (with the small 304 centre). When I upgraded to the full size 905c, I gained a huge improvement throughout the volume range. I had the same problem before - had to increase volume somewhat just to hear dialogue clearly. The 905 soon sorted this.

IMO the centre speaker is very important to an AV setup. For example, a high end speaker setup with a poor-average centre can result in a poor overall sound.

30. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I also have the KEF eggs, with Sony amp and Pioneer DVD, I also suffered from low dialogue from the front centre after a short discussion here I invested in a sound pressure meter and re set-up the centre/surround level correctly, (sony amp allows DB levels on the speakers changed) now there are set-up correctly I don't have change to volume to hear the dialogue when watching DVD's,

Just my two penth